[orthodox-synod] Re: a myth...Chinese ships

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 1999
      My favorite example of a discussion with Mormons is this:

      One evening, I encountered two Mormon "elders," about 20 years of age. The
      one who was talking asked: "Have you heard of the Book of Mormon?"

      I answered: "Not only have I heard of it, I have read it."

      "What did you think?" he asked.

      "I think it is a 19th century novel."

      "Oh," said the youthful elder, "we think it is the Word of God."

      "I'm sure you do," I answered, "and, if it is the Word of God, it is without
      error, right?"

      He noded his head, as he said: "Of course."

      "Well, then," I answered, "could you please explain to me why the Book of
      Mormon says Jesus was born in Jerusalem? Did God make a mistake?"

      One would have thought that a fatal error. Not so. He had a ready response.

      "We perceive that higher education has ruined your ability to believe," the
      boy answered.

      "Son," I said, "we are not discussing my education. We are discussing your
      book, which you say is the Word of God and without error. I have just
      pointed out an error. What does this teach us?"

      It taught us nothing. There are none so blind as those who will NOT see.

      I did not even point out to him that, if Joseph Smith translated those Golden
      Tablets, he brought into the Book of Mormon (by some mysterious process) some
      of the same translation mistakes to be found in the King James Version of the
      Bible.

      Father Andrew
    • LJames6034@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 1999
        Zheng He was the admiral. I remember that spelling.

        However, as I recall, the touching base with the American west coast was
        earlier than Zheng He.

        And, you are correct. After him, the empire simply stopped building ships,
        and dismantled the navy.

        Amazing. But, China was the centre of the world. Why bother with anything
        else?

        ALJJ+