[orthodox-synod] Re: Joseph Smith {was: a myth...Chinese ships}

  • Ephrem Hugh Bensusan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 1999
      Interestingly, Joseph Smith made both claims. He originally told the
      Peepstone Story, but as time progressed he came to think it would be better
      if he had used mystical spectacles given to him as a divine gift.

      According to affadavits from witnesses to the original "translation" he
      simply used the peepstone in a hat--the golden plates being nowhere in site.
      He would stick his face in the hat with the stone, and then, according to
      David Whitmer (I believe--it's been quite a while), one of his "Apostles,"
      "in the darkness the spiritual light would shine," and Joseph was directed
      letter by letter with the translation.

      Which means that the God of the Mormons has a rather poor mastery of
      English. Or at least one would assume so after seeig a first edition of the
      Book of Mormon.

      ---
      Ephrem Hugh Bensusan
      Webmaster, Tserkovnost: An Eastern Orthodox Resource Centre
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/3757/

      --St. Ephrem the Syrian Library:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/3757/stephrem.html
      --Introduction to the Orthodox Church for Truly Reformed
      Calvinists:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/3757/reformed.html
      --The Truth About the Serbs and Yugoslavia:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/3757/serbia/