[orthodox-synod] FWD: Naw, it had to be the guns

  • Udut, Kenneth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 1999
      FWD:

      Paul Harvey read this Letter to the Editor on his news
      cast a couple of weeks ago. It was tracked down on the
      internet through the San Angelo Standard - Times; give
      them full credit for this article.

      How can we blame it all on guns?

      For the life of me, I can't understand what could have
      gone wrong in Littleton, Colorado. If only the parents
      had kept their children away from the guns, we
      wouldn't have had such a tragedy. Yeah, it must have
      been the guns.

      It couldn't have been because of half our children
      being raised in broken homes.

      It couldn't have been because our children get to
      spend an average of 30 seconds in meaningful
      conversation with their parents each day. After all,
      we give our children quality time.

      It couldn't have been because we treat our children as
      pets and our pets as children.

      It couldn't have been because we place our children in
      day care centers where they learn their socialization
      skills among their peers under the law of the jungle
      while employees who have no vested interest in the
      children look on and make sure that no blood is
      spilled.

      It couldn't have been because we allow our children to
      watch, on the average, seven hours of television a day
      filled with the glorification of sex and violence that
      isn't fit for adult consumption.

      It couldn't have been because we allow our children to
      enter into virtual worlds in which, to win the game,
      one must kill as many opponents as possible in the
      most sadistic way possible.

      It couldn't have been because we have sterilized and
      contracepted our families down to sizes so small that
      the children we do have are so spoiled with material
      things that they come to equate the receiving of the
      material with love.

      It couldn't have been because our children, who
      historically have been seen as a blessing from God,
      are now being viewed as either a mistake created when
      contraception fails or inconveniences that parents try
      to raise in their spare time.

      It couldn't have been because we give two-year prison
      sentences to teenagers who kill their newborns.

      It couldn't have been because our school systems teach
      the children that they are nothing but glorified apes
      who have evolutionized out of some primordial soup of
      mud by teaching evolution as fact and by handing out
      condoms as if they were candy.

      It couldn't have been because we teach our children
      that there are no laws of morality that transcend us,
      that everything is relative and that actions don't
      have consequences. What the heck, the president gets
      away with it.

      Nah, it must have been the guns.