[orthodox-synod] Spyridon

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
      There is an update of the news about Archbishop Spryridon. According to a
      news release (Orthodoxnews.com/stories/mpa02399.shtml) His Eminence has
      resigned from the "ecclesiastical ministry."

      That is sad, if true. The man trusted those who could not be trusted. He
      thought an archbishop in the Orthodox Church should be head of his
      archdiocese. Apparently, he was sold out by moneyed interests.

      If he has resigned from all "ecclesiastical ministry," that seem to me to
      come quite close to what one does in committing suicide.

      It had been my hope he would return to Venice, where, as I recall, he used to
      be archbishop. Italy is one of my favorite places. I could go there and
      be happy, I think. But, where can a man go who feels himself betrayed by
      his Church?
      A church is supposed to be a family.

      As Robert Frost once put it: "Home is the place where, if you have to go
      there, they have to take you in."

      I expect Archbishop Spyridon has begun to feel, as John Jacob Niles's lyric
      has it: "like a motherless child."

      Let us pray for him, and for those who have despitefully used him---foremost
      among them, "Black Bart," who ought to be ashamed of himself.

      Father Andrew
    • TALLSCAPES@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 1999
        Evlogeite, Fr. Andrew,

        It was not my habit to pray by name for Archbishop Spyridon
        though I do pray that our Saviour save and protect all Orthodox
        hierarchs --- if he and his ilk may be so named. Yet, mercy is
        higher than justice and it is a grief to know anyone ill used,
        however deservedly. Pray God our Saviour that these circumstances
        will be taken in hand by him for his salvation as an Orthodox monk.
        May I learn repentance too before the end!

        Sinful, Peter Brandt-Sorheim
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 1999
          Peter,

          I have often said: "What we want is justice for our enemies, though, to be
          sure, we ask mercy for ourselves."

          May we never get what we deserve.

          Father Andrew