[orthodox-synod] Re: A legendary legend.

  • Udut, Kenneth
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
      I suspect the "bread rolls for wiping baby's bottoms"
      was probably an exaggeration by the historian, to get
      the point across that this was a *really* wealthy
      city.

      Although, noting the cost of baby wipes these
      days, perhaps using breadrolls *would* be
      cheaper :-)

      Kenneth Udut
      Kenneth.Udut@...
      "Voistinu CHelovek
      `Etot byl Syn Bozhij!'"

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 1999
        Just because it is spring in New Zealand, there is reason why a monk should
        even know things like this, much less pass them on.

        Shocked. Dismayed, and not a little disappointed. That's what I am!

        (I hope you know I am teasing.)

        I went to a going away party, on Friday, after work. Most of the congregants
        had been there for a few hours before I came. They were pretty well "loaded."

        Drunks are not as much fun as they think they are. Moreover, even if I were
        inclined to try to catch up to them (and I am not), they can never be as
        amusing as they think they are.

        I said of that experience: "So, this is what wicked people do with their
        Friday evenings?!"

        No. They were just having "fun." I do hope they all made it home without
        killing anyone. That cannot be much fun.

        Did I tell you I was detained, for two hours, on US Interstate 95, through
        North Carolina, on Labor Day (the first monday in Sept., always)? There was
        a ten car pile-up ahead of me.

        I eventually pulled off the road, had dinner, and was instructed to go around
        the mess. It didn't ruin my Labor Day Weekend, but it did delay me a little.

        I imagine those who were more substantially involved in the pile-up were a
        great deal more than just "inconvenienced."

        We were all traveling at 70 mph. Those who piled up may have been among
        those who, on a wet and rainy evening, were passing us going 80 to 90 mph.
        Driving a car at those speeds is like directing a bullet. It can be done,
        but. . . .

        I had spent part of my Labor Day at St. Marys City, the colonial capital of
        Maryland. My great grandfather (times 14) Gerrit van Sweringen ran an inn
        there, in the 17th century.

        I was intrigued by the fact that his descendants come there with regularity.
        Knowing about him must be passed down from generation to generation, in
        other branches of his family, too.

        I recently wrote to one of Gerrit's descendants, out in California: Mark
        Swearingen (the name has been Englished, obviously) whose name appeared on
        the website for those who were defending the priests who were deposed by
        Metropolitan PHILIP of the Antiochian Archdiocese.

        My message simply said: "Does the name Gerrit van Sweringen have any meaning
        for you?"

        That was enough.

        Mark told me one of the priests who would have been deposed (had he not died
        in the year previous) was another of Gerrit van Sweringen's descendants, on
        his mother's side.

        So, I'm always fascinated by stories. Hidden in some of the stories handed
        down is a kernel of truth. Even the myths may have some truth to them. The
        gods were likely nothing more than heroes who were deified, over time.

        That is why my most recent post to The List tries to encourage a little more
        tolerance. Perhaps there is a kernel of truth. Perhaps not. Nevertheless,
        the story is fascinating.

        L+

        Father Andrew