[orthodox-synod] Re: A legendary legend.

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
      Maybe, Joseph,

      But: That aside about bread might have been just another rhetorical gesture
      on the part of the writer.

      Remember all that speculation about "Atlantis"? No less than Plato spoke of
      it. It may be there was such a place. It may be it was in the eastern
      Mediterranean, rather than beyond the "Pillars of Hercules."

      It may also be it never really existed.

      Why bother with it?

      It does no harm to think it might have been.

      If there had been no French Revolution I, myself, would not be. Little as I
      have cared for that all these years, it was necessary for me to come into
      existence. Had my father's mother's family not been driven here, my father
      and mother could never have met. Hence, I could not exist.

      Strange how such minor details (my existence) can come from events which
      were grand in scope and intention, isn't it? Yet the grandest of all hopes
      (Egalite, fraternite, etc.) came to nothing. The revolution ate its
      children. Only those of us whose families were driven out can look back and
      smile, just as some of our ancestors laughed on their way to the guillotine.

      Father Andrew
    • emrys`nz
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
        Dear Father James,

        Some of my own ancestors were from Vineta, and the bread rolls were actually
        used to stuff the holes in the dykes and not for babies' bottoms.

        Fr Ambrose

        >But: That aside about bread might have been just another rhetorical
        gesture
        >on the part of the writer.
        >
        >Remember all that speculation about "Atlantis"? No less than Plato spoke
        of
        >it. It may be there was such a place. It may be it was in the eastern
        >Mediterranean, rather than beyond the "Pillars of Hercules."
        >
        >It may also be it never really existed.
        >
        >Why bother with it?
        >
        >It does no harm to think it might have been.
        >
        >If there had been no French Revolution I, myself, would not be. Little as
        >have cared for that all these years, it was necessary for me to come into
        >existence. Had my father's mother's family not been driven here, my father
        >and mother could never have met. Hence, I could not exist.
        >
        >Strange how such minor details (my existence) can come from events which
        >were grand in scope and intention, isn't it? Yet the grandest of all hopes
        >(Egalite, fraternite, etc.) came to nothing. The revolution ate its
        >children. Only those of us whose families were driven out can look back
        and
        >smile, just as some of our ancestors laughed on their way to the
        guillotine.

        >Father Andrew

        >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

      • Udut, Kenneth
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
          I suspect the "bread rolls for wiping baby's bottoms"
          was probably an exaggeration by the historian, to get
          the point across that this was a *really* wealthy
          city.

          Although, noting the cost of baby wipes these
          days, perhaps using breadrolls *would* be
          cheaper :-)

          Kenneth Udut
          Kenneth.Udut@...
          "Voistinu CHelovek
          `Etot byl Syn Bozhij!'"

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 1999
            Just because it is spring in New Zealand, there is reason why a monk should
            even know things like this, much less pass them on.

            Shocked. Dismayed, and not a little disappointed. That's what I am!

            (I hope you know I am teasing.)

            I went to a going away party, on Friday, after work. Most of the congregants
            had been there for a few hours before I came. They were pretty well "loaded."

            Drunks are not as much fun as they think they are. Moreover, even if I were
            inclined to try to catch up to them (and I am not), they can never be as
            amusing as they think they are.

            I said of that experience: "So, this is what wicked people do with their
            Friday evenings?!"

            No. They were just having "fun." I do hope they all made it home without
            killing anyone. That cannot be much fun.

            Did I tell you I was detained, for two hours, on US Interstate 95, through
            North Carolina, on Labor Day (the first monday in Sept., always)? There was
            a ten car pile-up ahead of me.

            I eventually pulled off the road, had dinner, and was instructed to go around
            the mess. It didn't ruin my Labor Day Weekend, but it did delay me a little.

            I imagine those who were more substantially involved in the pile-up were a
            great deal more than just "inconvenienced."

            We were all traveling at 70 mph. Those who piled up may have been among
            those who, on a wet and rainy evening, were passing us going 80 to 90 mph.
            Driving a car at those speeds is like directing a bullet. It can be done,
            but. . . .

            I had spent part of my Labor Day at St. Marys City, the colonial capital of
            Maryland. My great grandfather (times 14) Gerrit van Sweringen ran an inn
            there, in the 17th century.

            I was intrigued by the fact that his descendants come there with regularity.
            Knowing about him must be passed down from generation to generation, in
            other branches of his family, too.

            I recently wrote to one of Gerrit's descendants, out in California: Mark
            Swearingen (the name has been Englished, obviously) whose name appeared on
            the website for those who were defending the priests who were deposed by
            Metropolitan PHILIP of the Antiochian Archdiocese.

            My message simply said: "Does the name Gerrit van Sweringen have any meaning
            for you?"

            That was enough.

            Mark told me one of the priests who would have been deposed (had he not died
            in the year previous) was another of Gerrit van Sweringen's descendants, on
            his mother's side.

            So, I'm always fascinated by stories. Hidden in some of the stories handed
            down is a kernel of truth. Even the myths may have some truth to them. The
            gods were likely nothing more than heroes who were deified, over time.

            That is why my most recent post to The List tries to encourage a little more
            tolerance. Perhaps there is a kernel of truth. Perhaps not. Nevertheless,
            the story is fascinating.

            L+

            Father Andrew