[orthodox-synod] Re: (Fwd) St. Fedor/Frederick

  • David James
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 1999
      From the latest issue of Orthodox England (Vol. 3., No. 1, Sep. 1999), p.
      20: "Although there is no St. Frederick as such, Frederick is the Germanic
      translation of the Greek Irene, meaning peaceful. Thus a man called
      Frederick could take the name Irenaios, after St. Irenaios, Bishop of Lyons,
      and a Frederika could take the name Irene, after, for example, the Great
      Martyr Irene."

      Deacon David James
      Dmjames@...