Mixed Marriages

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2003
      Fr. John R. Shaw wrote:

      >We do not live in a society where parents choose the marriage partners...

      Not only that, we don't live in an /Orthodox/ society, where there is a
      large selection of eligible spouses. Small ROCA parishes located far
      from population centres are even worse off. I have heard many complaints
      from Americans in theire 20's and 30's complain about how hard it is to
      find a spouse and religion isn't even an issue with them.

      >One of the greatest problems our Church faces today is that so many of
      >the people know next to nothing about their religion -- and they may
      >teach their own children precisely nothing.

      This is definitely true and unfortunately, was the case with at least
      one set of grandparents, who came to the US before 1917 from Western
      Russia and Ukraine.

      I have mentioned in previous postings the large number of second
      generation Orthodox folk that I know who have drifted/fallen away. Well,
      we now seem to have come full circle. The grandaughter of Ukrainian
      Orthodox immigrants, brought up and married RC (to someone from Ireland,
      no less), just had a baby girl and she and her husband have decided to
      baptise the girl /Orthodox!/ Talk about knowing next to nothing about
      the Orthodox Faith! I am on the one hand, thrilled that they decided to
      baptise her Orthodox, on the otherhand, the parents' knowledge of the
      Chruch is limited to 12 lenten dishes for Christmas Eve and bringing the
      basket to church on Holy Saturday to be blessed...

      Hristofor

    • stefanvpavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@netscap
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2003
        More people than you can imagine have their only grip on Orthodoxy by
        the handle on an Easter Basket. But is it not our duty then, to start
        from that basket and preach Christ and his Church to them, not
        allowing sectarian interlopers to make those people lose their grip on
        our Holy Faith?