Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Pray!!! Help Esphigmenou

  • Fr. Gregory Williams
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2003
      To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever suggested that anyone be
      "forced to convert". The issue, and really the only issue, is whether the
      Church's blessing can appropriately be bestowed upon marital union between
      an Orthodox Christian and a heretic. If two people choose to live in such a
      union, that's their business (and the Lord's). The fact that it has been
      done and is being done does not wipe away the question, any more than the
      fact that people _have_ been united to the Church (even if inappropriately)
      with baptism, without chrismation, wipes away the question as to whether it
      is ever appropriate for someone from a heretical confession to be received
      into the Church other than by baptism (our bishops in a decree which has
      been published a couple of times in Living Orthodoxy, said it is not, even
      if it might have been at times in the past).
    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 7, 2003
        Christ is in our midst! Please forgive delay, Father. Too much to do! I
        am of course well aware that this practice is widespread in our church, I
        think much to her detriment, and that of the people who are allowed, even
        encouraged by implication, to enter into such unions. I of course know of a
        few cases where (since God knows well how to write straight with crooked
        lines!) mixed marriages have ultimately led to the conversion of the
        non-Orthodox person. But I'm afraid I know of far more cases where at best
        a luke-warm sort of Orthodoxy on the part of one partner continues
        indefinitely, even if that.

        Of course, the issue of an existing marriage within which one partner
        becomes Orthodox is an entirely different matter.

        We never do anyone any good by watering down the Truth -- that's the route
        (so avidly embraced, it would seem, by at least a few of our clergy) to
        Episcopalianism or worse.
      • orthodixie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 7, 2003
          We never do anyone any good by watering down the Truth -- that's the route
          (so avidly embraced, it would seem, by at least a few of our clergy) to
          Episcopalianism or worse.

          I've never served a "mixed-marriage," so thank God I'm not implicated in the
          above remark. :)

          However, it does seem a disservice to the participants of this list to even
          hint that a few of "our" clergy are watering down the Truth.

          FWIW,
          Fr Joseph Huneycutt
        • Fr. Gregory Williams
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 7, 2003
            My apologies -- the prior message was not meant to be public.