Re: [orthodox-synod] Esphigmenou monks extremists?

  • Rev. Sergei Overt
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dear in Christ Fr. Gregory,
      You are right about what you say.
      Please know that Russian priests in ROCOR
      have always allowed this. (This is how our Russian parishioners understand
      it - "It is allowed" ).From New York to Chicago to Los Angeles(except in
      Archbishop Antony's diocese) to San Francisco to Vancouver. In every Russian
      ROCOR parish mixed marriages between Orthodox and other Christians are is
      allowed.
      I believe it has hurt the Russian parishes spiritually. In rare cases ( I
      have one in my parish) a good thing happened, the non-Orthodox spouse became
      Orthodox!Glory to God! I respect this very much. In most cases though the
      mixed marriage is just a compromise to not hurt the family.This is the
      reality of our ROCOR Fr. Gregory.
      I do not want to offend anyone by speaking about this delicate matter. I do
      believe it has hurt ROCOR over the years and now especially.
      I ask for your prayers, Fr. Gregory.
      With love in Christ,
      Fr.Sergei

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2003
        Mixed marriages are allowed as an exeption by
        economia, not as a normal practice.
        Subdeacon Kirill

        http://www.athensnews.gr/athweb/nathens.prnt_article?
        > > > e=C&f=12998&t=01&m=A07&aa=1
        > >
        > > Some of the demands of the monks at Esphigmenou I
        > don't follow. For
        > > example..."to halt communication with those of
        > other faiths." Are
        > > they referring to other Christian faiths, like
        > Roman Catholics, etc.?
        > >
        > > luke
        > >

        > > Archives located at

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Kiril Bart
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2003
          Well.. if you want to save two dollars, why don't you
          read it yourself? Also simonia wouldn't apply in here,
          it's a little different subject, rather if someone is
          paying for being ordained.
          Subdeacon Kirill

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2003
            I believe "mixed marriages" between Orthodox and non-Orthodox Christians was
            allowed in Russia as well.

          • batushka@msn.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2003
              Let us not forget that St. Elizabeth the New Martyr was Lutheran at the time
              of her marriage to Grand Duke Sergei, and she was not forced to convert.
              This she did of her own free will. An excellent example of what can come of
              "mixed marriages".

              Father Basil

              > Mixed marriages are allowed as an exeption by
              > economia, not as a normal practice.
              > Subdeacon Kirill
              >
              > --- "Rev. Sergei Overt" <frsovert@...> wrote:
              > > Yes, they have a very isolated ,extremist attitude.
              > > For example,we in the Russian Orthodox Church
              > > Outside of Russia allow
              > > marriages between Roman Catholic and Orthodox
              > > Christians.
              > > I guess the Esphigmenou monks would be against this
              > > also!
              > > Sorry, extremism is now not what we in ROCOR follow.
              > > Although, it's not nice that the monks are being
              > > evicted.
              > > Orthodox people in Russia attending Moscow
              > > Patriarchate and in Serbia
              > > attending Serbian Patriarchate churches would
              > > probably not agree with the
              > > eviction also.
              > > Fr. S.

            • Michael Nikitin
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2003
                Taking communion every week is considered extremism by some. Although
                partaking of the body and blood of Christ is something we should do
                according to our Holy Fathers.

                Michael N.

                From: "vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@...>"
                <vladimir.kozyreff@...>
                To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Pray!!! Help Esphigmenou
                Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:30:18 -0000

                Dear Father, bless.

                You write:

                "Sorry, extremism is now not what we in ROCOR follow. Although, it's
                not nice that the monks are being evicted..."

                What the ROCOR must make now clearer than ever, is that she will keep
                her stand about ecumenism: it is a heresy.

                Everybody will accept that extremism is not good. The only question
                is to know what definition of extremism you accept. Stopping at a red
                traffic light at night is considered an extremist behaviour by some
                people. Always stopping at a red traffic light during the day is
                considered an extremist behaviour by others. Among the latino-
                catholics, insisting on going to church once a week is considered
                extremist. For them, being an orthodox is being like a Taliban or a
                fundamentalist intolerant sectarian.

                As a priest, you are considered an extremist by the ecumenist, unless
                you are one of them. I hope they call you an extremist. Being
                called "extremist" by an ecumenist is a glory for a real orthodox.

                Let us not, with the pretence of demonstrating something, first give
                a derogatory adjective to an object that we do not like, and then
                state that, since the object deserved that adjective, so therefore it
                is wrong. You skipped the only interesting part of the discourse,
                which is: what do you call extremism in this case?

                The orthodox Church prohibits marriages with the non-orthodox, but
                will accept to apply economy in many cases, according to the local
                conditions. One of the cases where economy will be applied is when
                the orthodox are a minority, which would mean that, without economy,
                they would not be able to multiply, and thus to obey God's will in
                this regard.

                Let us not mix up the doctrine and the economy. See post
                6598 "orthodoxy combines the total refusal of any compromise in
                matters of faith and an incomparable loving care..."

                Refusing ecumenism is not being an extremist. It is just being
                orthodox. Being isolated is not being extremist, unorthodox or
                sectarian. Very often, orthodox are isolated, and they will be more
                and more so. Christ has warned us.

                In God,

              • Fr. Gregory Williams
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2003
                  To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever suggested that anyone be
                  "forced to convert". The issue, and really the only issue, is whether the
                  Church's blessing can appropriately be bestowed upon marital union between
                  an Orthodox Christian and a heretic. If two people choose to live in such a
                  union, that's their business (and the Lord's). The fact that it has been
                  done and is being done does not wipe away the question, any more than the
                  fact that people _have_ been united to the Church (even if inappropriately)
                  with baptism, without chrismation, wipes away the question as to whether it
                  is ever appropriate for someone from a heretical confession to be received
                  into the Church other than by baptism (our bishops in a decree which has
                  been published a couple of times in Living Orthodoxy, said it is not, even
                  if it might have been at times in the past).
                • Fr. Gregory Williams
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 7, 2003
                    Christ is in our midst! Please forgive delay, Father. Too much to do! I
                    am of course well aware that this practice is widespread in our church, I
                    think much to her detriment, and that of the people who are allowed, even
                    encouraged by implication, to enter into such unions. I of course know of a
                    few cases where (since God knows well how to write straight with crooked
                    lines!) mixed marriages have ultimately led to the conversion of the
                    non-Orthodox person. But I'm afraid I know of far more cases where at best
                    a luke-warm sort of Orthodoxy on the part of one partner continues
                    indefinitely, even if that.

                    Of course, the issue of an existing marriage within which one partner
                    becomes Orthodox is an entirely different matter.

                    We never do anyone any good by watering down the Truth -- that's the route
                    (so avidly embraced, it would seem, by at least a few of our clergy) to
                    Episcopalianism or worse.
                  • orthodixie@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 7, 2003
                      We never do anyone any good by watering down the Truth -- that's the route
                      (so avidly embraced, it would seem, by at least a few of our clergy) to
                      Episcopalianism or worse.

                      I've never served a "mixed-marriage," so thank God I'm not implicated in the
                      above remark. :)

                      However, it does seem a disservice to the participants of this list to even
                      hint that a few of "our" clergy are watering down the Truth.

                      FWIW,
                      Fr Joseph Huneycutt
                    • Fr. Gregory Williams
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 7, 2003
                        My apologies -- the prior message was not meant to be public.