Canadian Diocese Music Seminar, Calgary, Feb. 27-March 2, 2003

  • cantor71 <gskok@istar.ca>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      The first Canadian Diocese Russian Orthodox Liturgical Music Seminar:
      A Practical Guide to the Russian Kliros.

      Dear friends,

      The final planning for the seminar is in full swing and we would like
      to announce that we have nearly reached the maximum registration. So
      far we will be seeing choir directors and singers from Vancouver,
      Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa as well as guests
      from San Francisco and Chicago - and even a registrant from Kenora,
      Ontario!

      If you would like to join us but have not yet sent in your form we
      recommend you do so as soon as possible. Detailed information is on
      the ROCOR website at:
      Russian
      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/Announcements%
      2020003/singersseminarcalgary2003.htm
      English
      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/news/canadamusicsem.
      html
      or http://www.ruskoka.com/CalgarySeminar.doc

      A preliminary program is found below.

      Please spread the word to your friends and colleagues on the
      choirloft!

      Until we meet in Calgary,
      George Skok
      Head, Canadian Diocese Music Committee
      ----------
      The preliminary program (subject to change) includes:

      Thursday, February 27
      2 pm on Arrival, hotel check-in
      7 pm on Registration and welcome reception

      Friday, February 28
      8:30 Introductory prayer, welcome and introductions
      9:00 Lecture 1 / Priest and Singers: Praying and
      Serving Together – Fr. Peter Perekrestov / discussion
      10:00 Workshop 1/ Good morning, Calgary! Warm-up,
      divide by voices,roles/responsibilities of the director and the
      choristers - Peter Jermihov
      11:00 Workshop 2/ Choir directing skills, Part 1 –
      Peter Jermihov
      1:30 Workshop 3/ Choral structure: practical
      approaches to working with small choirs – George Skok
      2:30 Workshop 4/ The art of singing: the singer's
      body and soul – Olga Primak
      3:45 Rehearsal I
      5:30 Workshop 5/ Choir directing skills, Part 2 -
      Peter Jermihov
      8:00-9:00 Round table 1 - Led by Nicholas Androsoff -
      Managing a Russian Orthodox Choir

      Saturday, March 1
      8:30 Lecture 2/ Russian Church Music outside Russia
      from 1917 to the present- Dr. Denis Brearley
      9:30 Round table 2 - Led by Fr. Peter Perekrestov/
      Rubrics: the typicon and current parish usage in the Russian Church
      10:45 Rehearsal II
      2:00 Workshop 6/ reading
      2:45 Workshop 7 /the tones
      3.30 Rehearsal III