Re: Jamaica Mission for ROCOR?

  • maureengirard <maureengirard@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2003
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Reader John
      <rdrjohn2000@y...>" <rdrjohn2000@y...> wrote:
      > Yes, there is a mission in Jamaica. I believe there is a priest
      and
      > a deacon (not so sure about deacon) who are native Jamaicans. For
      > more information, contact Fr. Gregory Williams at
      >
      > frgregory@k...
      >
      > he has some photographs to share.>>

      Isn't that Haiti?

      <orthodox@f...>"
      > <orthodox@f...> wrote:
      > > Someone has told me there is a parish mission of ROCOR on the
      > island of Jamaica? Is this true, are there that many Russians in
      > Jamaica? Is there is a native Jamaican priest? Just wondering.
      > >
      > > wretched John
    • Peter Okopny
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2003
        Hi John,

        I had the privilege of speaking with Fr. Elias Warnke ( the keeper of the Mir Streaming Icon of St Nicholas) on Saturday to which I inquired the situation in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. He noted that he has been there for nine months and is starting things slowly. There are approximately 7,000 Russians not counting any other orthodox nationalities. These Russians came over during the soviet union for business but have stayed to start a new life. There is not a single orthodox church on the island and this will be the first! With Gods help, he will build a church and possibly an orthodox retreat for any vacationers who seek to be rejuvenated spiritually and physically.

        May we all pray that God gives Fr. Elias the strength he will need to raise the orthodox cross above Jamaica!

        PS could just imagine a youth conference there ? OHH if only to be young again!

        Wretched # 2

        Cossack Pete

        Someone has told me there is a parish mission of ROCOR on the island of Jamaica? Is this true, are there that many Russians in Jamaica? Is there is a native Jamaican priest? Just wondering.

        wretched John

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • 강 병송
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2003
          I think that ROCOR is good orthodox church.

          If there is a parish mission of ROCOR on the island of
          Jamaica, isn't the fact nice one?

          "One orthodox in one nation" is nationalism isn't it?

          I can't see the meaning of the word-"wondering"

          http://www.korea-orthodox.org

          디지탈 카메라와 찰떡 궁합- 야후! 사진
          http://kr.photos.yahoo.com/
          돈되는 중고차 쇼핑몰 - 야후! 자동차
          http://autos.yahoo.co.kr/autos/
        • 강 병송
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2003
            I think that ROCOR is good orthodox church.

            If there is a parish mission of ROCOR on the island of
            Jamaica, isn't the fact nice thing?

          • orthorlando <orthodox@firemail.de>
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2003
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Okopny" <peter.okopny@w...> wrote:
              > Hi John,
              >
              > I had the privilege of speaking with Fr. Elias Warnke ( the keeper of the Mir Streaming Icon of St Nicholas) on Saturday to which I inquired the situation in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. He noted that he has been there for nine months and is starting things slowly. There are approximately 7,000 Russians not counting any other orthodox nationalities. These Russians came over during the soviet union for business but have stayed to start a new life. There is not a single orthodox church on the island and this will be the first! With Gods help, he will build a church and possibly an orthodox retreat for any vacationers who seek to be rejuvenated spiritually and physically.
              >
              > May we all pray that God gives Fr. Elias the strength he will need to raise the orthodox cross above Jamaica!
              >
              > PS could just imagine a youth conference there ? OHH if only to be young again!
              >
              > Wretched # 2

              Dear Cossack Pete,

              I have heard differing opinions on the Mir Streaming Ikon, I know some people who saw it stream much mir at a conference, then I heard the Council of ROCOR forbid it being shown. What is the truth? It is good there is an Orthodox Church in Jamaica, I am glad this is true.

              wretched John

              PS : I am glad you also are wretched like me! :)

            • cantor71 <gskok@istar.ca>
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 28, 2003
                Dear Sergius Peter,

                In case you are not a native speaker of English, when John
                wrote, "Just wondering," he was simply enquiring. This has absolutely
                no negative implications. In this case "just wondering" means
                something along the lines of "just asking" or "just curious." The
                fact that he was asking means he probably saw this as "nice," as you
                say.

                Good luck to you in your work in Korea,

                George Skok
                Toronto

                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, <sergiuspeter@y...>
                wrote:
                > I think that ROCOR is good orthodox church.
                >
                > If there is a parish mission of ROCOR on the island of
                > Jamaica, isn't the fact nice one?
                >
                > "One orthodox in one nation" is nationalism isn't it?
                >
                > I can't see the meaning of the word-"wondering"
                >
                > http://www.korea-orthodox.org
              • Peter Okopny
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2003
                  Dear John,

                  Where did you hear that it was forbidden to be shown? This past week I saw it twice, once at St Vladimir's in Jackson then at a private residence where about 25 people attended an akafist. That whole entire time the icon was very accessible. Fr. Elias opened the kiot and had shown us how the mir was flowing as he drew with his finger a cross on the icon and in a matter of several seconds the dry cross disappeared. Well, in any case you can see that the this great icon has been traveling to parishes for veneration which proves that there are no restrictions. If you would like I can email you a photo of the icon that I took on Saturday, just send me your address.

                  Cossack Pete

                  ( Defenders of the faith )

                • vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@skynet.be>
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 29, 2003
                    Dear List,

                    I understand that ROCA clergy and hierarchs have been divided about
                    allowing this icon to travel for veneration, even if the outcome was
                    that it was shown to the faithful.

                    In God,

                    Vladimir Kozyreff

                  • vtsurikov@earthlink.net