[orthodox-synod] Testimony of the Myrrh-Streaming Icon of St. Nicholas

  • intrprtr@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 1999
      This is our testimony on the myrrh-streaming icon of St. Nicholas which was
      witnessed by us during an akathist (prayer meeting) at St. Nicholas Russian
      Orthodox Cathedral in Seattle, Washington, on September 23, 1999. At
      approximately 8:00 p.m., after two-and-one-half hours into this service,
      the icon began to stream myrrh. The people present went up and venerated
      the icon and received a blessing of anointing with the myrrh oil, which was
      administered by the Right Reverend, Bishop Kyrill of San Francisco. After
      receiving the anointing, each person was given holy mementos, one each, in
      the forms of a swab dipped in the myrrh and a photograph of the icon.

      We were able to see this myrrh-streaming of the icon occurring in full
      light in the Church Hall where it was on display during a dinner held
      after the service. The myrrh covered the figure of St Nicholas, except for
      on his face, at the time of our viewing. The myrrh did not stream from the
      eyes of the icon St. Nicholas.

      Alexandra Jeneaue and George Spruksts
      RUSSIAN-AMERICAN INFORMATION SERVICES