Opera House Attacked Over 'Sacrilegious' Website Ad

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
      Published in The Sydney Morning Herald, December 16, 2002

      Opera House Attacked Over 'Sacrilegious' Website Ad

      By Kelly Burke

      SYDNEY, December 16, 2002 (SMH) -- The Sydney Opera House has been forced
      to remove an image from its website that orthodox religious leaders have
      labelled sacrilegious and offensive.

      Advertisements for a satirical show that opened at the venue's Studio
      theatre last week depict a montage of religious icons with the superimposed
      faces of the show's actors. The images have been used in the Opera House's
      December diary, in a what's-on guide for The Studio, and on the website.

      Father John McPherson, of the Russian Orthodox Church's (ROCA) Holy
      Trinity Brotherhood, said that the advertising material for A Very Tripod
      Christmas (There's Something about Mary), had made a mockery of
      multiculturalism and the principles of respect for other people's religion.

      "If the same treatment was given to Aboriginal, Muslim or Jewish sacred
      symbols there would be enormous outcry and great offence," he said.

      The leader of Sydney's Greek Orthodox community, Archbishop Stylianos, also
      decried the artwork yesterday as a symbol of "deplorable spiritual
      poverty". "They should not be entitled to ridicule religion and religious
      persons, persons of the history of the people of God," he said.

      "We are all offended, and I do not know how to characterise such a
      sacrilegious gesture."

      A similar furore erupted almost five years ago with the release of the 1998
      Adelaide Festival poster depicting a Byzantine Madonna playing an
      accordion. The festival's director, Robyn Archer, weathered a storm of
      criticism that came from a wide range of religious leaders over the image.

      A Very Tripod Christmas's creators, the Melbourne-based comedians Steven
      Gates, Simon Hall and Scott Edgar, who are regular guests on ABC Radio's
      Triple J breakfast show, were unavailable for comment yesterday.

      The show's publicist, however, said the group had no input into the graphic
      design used to advertise the show.

      The Opera House's chief executive, Norman Gillespie, said that the artwork
      had been in the public domain for six months and up until last Thursday he
      had not received a single complaint.

      "People who are familiar with our programming know that the Sydney Opera
      House and The Studio have a strong commitment to the presentation of
      multicultural events and the breadth of voices across our community," he
      said.

      "There has been no intention, in the use of the artwork, to offend any
      groups within our community."

      However, Mr Gillespie said that as a gesture to avoid any unnecessary
      offence over the Christmas period, the Opera House would remove the image
      from its website within the next few days.
    • Sandra Thompson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003

        >"If the same treatment was given to Aboriginal, Muslim or Jewish sacred
        >symbols there would be enormous outcry and great offence," he said.
        This is because their people speak out against it. If we speak out , we
        too will be heard. A few years ago a popular radio host had something
        offensive to Orthodoxy on his website. People spoke out and it was removed.
      • Catherine
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
          Kudos to those who protested- so often we do not
          complain when our faith is being mocked in the theatre
          or other public medium- I am sure the message this
          gives to those responsible is that we just don't care
          anyhow, so it's all fair game! We must learn to be as
          outspoken (though perhaps not as hostile) as are Jews,
          blacks, or other minority groups when they are under
          attack. We must stop being afraid to be labled
          "foolish" or "quaint" when we object to slurs on our
          faith, if it is indeed of importance to us. I am
          reminded by the old question, "if you were arrested
          for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence
          to convict you?"

          =====
          Catherine

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com