Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: TELLING THE TRUTH IS DANGEROUS...

  • VladMoss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
      In a message dated 01/01/03 15:20:29 GMT Standard Time, vrevjrs@...
      writes:

      > JRS: This endless, but vague, talk of a "new path in the ROCOR" may
      > seem very convenient to justify doing what one pleases. But when,
      > exactly, did the "new path" take effect? Vladimir Moss began making
      > this accusation over two decades ago; he particularly singled out the
      > late Archbishop Anthony of Geneva as a culprit, but Archbishop Anthony
      > of Geneva was responsible for the [initially secret] consecrations of
      > Varnava and Lazarus. It seems to me the very fact that these
      > accusations, brought forth by various "interested parties" at various
      > times since at least 1980 or 1981, if not earlier, belie that there has
      > been any change.

      A new path in ecclesiology does not immediately become apparent to all, and
      it takes time to gather speed.

      It began with Archbishop Anthony, who, contrary to the public promises of the
      ROCOR Synod to the Old Calendarist Greeks, entered into communion with the
      Greek new calendarists. When I protested, Metropolitan Philaret told me to my
      face that I was right, but that he had no power to stop Anthony. However, the
      1983 anathema against ecumenism put at least a partial stop to the process of
      concelebrating with ecumenists.

      But it started again in 1986, with the partial disavowal of the 1983 anathema
      and Archbishop Anthony's instructing his clergy to serve with the new
      calendarists when in Greece, which led to the departure of the ROCOR's Paris
      mission to the OCs. Further activities of this sort also led to HOCNA's
      departure - although I do not deny that in that case there were also personal
      motives involved.

      In the 1990s the "new path" gathered momentum with ambiguous statements about
      the MP and more or less continuous and official communion with the Serbs,
      which greatly troubled especially the new members (and bishops) of the ROCOR
      inside Russia. This process reached its climax with the ROCOR Sobor's
      official letter to the Serbian Patriarch (only a few months after that
      patriarch called the ROCOR "schismatical") asking him to help in restoring
      communion with the Soviet church.

      So the path is not that new, but its adoption by the whole of the ROCOR Synod
      (excluding Metropolitan Vitaly and Archbishop Barnabas, of course) is new.

      Vladimir Moss

    • VladMoss@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
        writes:

        > And the disciplinary Canons (as opposed to those that define dogma) can
        > only be used by the hierarchy. To call on the individual to use them,
        > is like giving computer files to someone who lives in a land without
        > telephone lines, cables, or electricity...

        Does not every priest in the Orthodox Church swear to abide by the canons?
        Even a layman like myself was asked formally to accept their authority when I
        joined the MP from Anglicanism in 1974.

        Certainly, no decree of any secular authority, even if he is an Orthodox
        Emperor like Peter the Great, can stand if it is opposed to the Holy Canons.

        Vladimir Moss

      • Paul O. BARTLETT
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
          On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@...> wrote:
          (excerpt):

          > You attempt here to show that using fallacies can lead to the truth.
          > This is a kind of intellectual sergianism.

          Could someone be kind enough to define "intellectual sergianism"?
          Thanks.

          Just from a brief membership in these two mailing lists ("synod"
          and "rocor") I am beginning to wonder if there is so much contention
          that if God does guide me back to Orthodox Christianity then I wonder
          where I will hang my hat. I was orginally baptized at Holy
          Transfiguration Monastery, which then under the ROCOR but is now under
          some other jurisdiction. All this wrangling in American Orthodoxy is
          becoming very discouraging. Maybe I should just stay where I now am
          (which is outside Christianity entirely).

          --
          Paul Bartlett
          bartlett at smart.net
        • vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@skynet.be>
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
            Dear Elizabeth,

            You write: " I offer some examples of descriptive words that
            actually exist in the English language, that might be used as a
            substitute for "sergianism" in future commentaries: distasteful,
            incorrect, improper, annoying, immoral, dangerous, aggravating,
            evil, frustrating, foolish, inappropriate, illegal, heartbreaking,
            irritating, problematic, questionable, bad, wrong ..."

            Let me kindly comment that, except evil, distasteful, heartbreaking
            and wrong, which are English and which everybody knows, all other
            adjectives of your list are French.

            I disagree with your suggestion to use them instead of sergianism,
            because they are adjectives, and because they express psychological,
            affective reactions. They cannot be substitutes for an abstract noun
            which expresses a theological concept. In speaking about the Church,
            would you suggest, in order to keep the impact strong enough, to
            replace that term by such adjectives as: tasteful, correct, proper,
            moral, safe, alleviating, beneficial, satisfactory, intelligent,
            appropriate, legal, consoling, quietening, clear, unquestionable,
            good, right…?

            Regarding your idea that "If you want people to believe this "word"
            means something, then stick to using it in the context of Patriarch
            Sergius' legacy within the MP (that IS what 'sergianism' is supposed
            to be about, isn't it?)", let me say the following:

            The human mind works by identifying common patterns among apparently
            separate objects. Showing the efficiency of this in research and
            intelligence was one of the most important contributions of
            structuralism in philosophy. This is the way the natural sciences and
            medicine progress too.

            When Father Shaw suggest that I am "protestant", he makes the kind of
            generalisation which is the basic function of intelligence. He
            analysed the essence of Protestantism and did not restrict himself to
            call Protestants the formal or nominal adepts of Luther's and
            associates' legacy. He just decided to call "Protestantism" the
            attitude by which a man makes his personal religion, which is the
            essence of Protestantism, by contrast to orthodoxy, in which the
            faith is one and common. In this, he is correct. One can thus say "In
            every man's soul, a protestant is sleeping".

            In the same way, one might say "In every man's soul, a sergianist is
            sleeping".

            I attempt to analyse the essence of sergianism. I think it is the
            belief that, in particularly critical situations, instead of
            recommending one's soul to God with even more fervour, one must and
            can defend the divine truth by lying.

            In other words, you can and must make a deal with the Liar to save
            the Church of Christ in particular circumstances. It is thus the
            apology of lie as a supreme and last resort when God has abandoned
            His people. It is related to the principle that the goal justifies
            the means. That is why I speak about intellectual sergianism when one
            claim to defend the truth by fallacies. The affective reactions that
            this evokes in your mind are interesting, but are altogether a
            different theme.

            I try to find out how perverse sergianism is and how it can
            infiltrate our thinking as a cancer can invade an organism. Remember
            that Met Sergius was also an ecumenist before the letter (see post
            7041). I think there is a link between the two heresies. It can be
            observed in concrete cases (the defenders of the first defend the
            second and vice versa, as seen on this list). If one analyses the
            essence of the two heresies, I suspect that one might find out that
            they have a lot in common.

            Christ was crucified because the Jews could not accept that the
            Kingdom is not of this world. They felt betrayed by the claim that
            the Messiah would not liberate them from the Romans, but from the
            sin. The main enemy of man, Satan, constantly tries to convince us
            that the Kingdom is of this world, on the contrary. Met Sergius could
            not accept that the fight does not go about material things, even
            when the Faith is persecuted. Even Orthodox find it sometimes hard to
            accept, in spite of their confessing the creed.

            Let us thus call a cat a cat and sergianism sergianism. In saying
            that we should not use the term because it is not defined is joining
            the MP in its attempt to escape repentance. In addition, in doing so,
            you are teaching a lesson to our predecessors in our dear Church and
            to the millions of martyrs that considered sergianism to be
            sufficiently well defined to die for refusing it. Please see again
            Father Alexander Lebedeff first manner below.

            Fighting sergianism is one of the main reasons for our Church to
            exist. When it disappears with ecumenism and when the MP repents, we
            will automatically cease to exist as ROCOR and become the orthodox
            Church of Russia. So, this is not a boring theme for a believer.

            In God,

            Vladimir Kozyreff

            Sergianism is not the recognition by the Church of the existence of a
            State dedicated to the eradication of the Church.

            It is not the recognition by the Church of the authority of a State
            dedicated to the eradication of the Church.

            It is not the cooperation of the Church with a State dedicated to the
            eradication of the Church.

            Sergianism, in its essence, is the concept that in order for the
            Church to preserve some semblance of its existence in the face of a
            State dedicated to the eradication of the Church, it is permissible
            for the Church (as represented by its ecclesiastical authorities—its
            hierarchs and senior clergy) to lie—to lie openly and bare-headedly,
            both to one's flock, and to the entire world.

            To lie openly about the extent of the persecution of the Church by
            the State.

            To lie openly about the very existence of persecution of the Church
            by the State.

            To lie openly by denying the Martyrs and Confessors of the Church.

            Sergianism is the very denial of Christ, Who said "I am the Way, the
            Truth, and the Life."

            Sergianism is the very denial of the path of Christ, the path of the
            Cross, the path of Confessors and Martyrs.

            Sergianism is the embodiment of the concept that the "end justifies
            the means," that any means, including those expressly forbidden by
            God's commandments (specifically, "Thou shalt not bear false
            witness"), are permissible, as long as the goal is to "save the
            Church."

            Sergianism is the affirmation of the concept that it is we who
            must "save the Church," even at the cost of lying openly and
            bareheadedly (thus following the path of Satan, the "Father of
            Lies"), rather than it is us who must be saved by the Church, by our
            standing fast in the Truth, even in the face of persecution, torture,
            and martyrdom.

            As such, Sergianism is contrary to our very calling, as Christians,
            and must be totally rejected by Orthodox Christians, and it must
            never be justified.

            Those who attempt to justify it are, unfortunately, just compounding
            the sins of their predecessors.

            The sooner this sad page in contemporary Orthodox history is put
            behind us, the sooner we can all move forward in proclaiming God's
            eternal truth.

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1 <eledkovsky@h...>"
            <eledkovsky@h...> wrote:
            > I should like to respectfully point out to those brothers and
            sisters
            > in Christ for whom English is a second, or (probably) a third (or
            > maybe even fourth or fifth) language, an error that is repeatedly
            made
            > on this list.
            >
            > That error is the increasingly frequent use of a made-up (i.e.
            > non-existent in the English language) word as an adverb or
            adjective
            > (see just a few recent examples below).
            >
            > It appears that this word has become, for certain posters, a
            > catch-all, to be used to describe any activity by any person or
            > ogranization of which he or she disapproves. In a sincere attempt
            > help these people convey their opinions more accurately, I offer
            some
            > examples of descriptive words that actually excist in the English
            > language, that might be used as a substitute for "sergianism" in
            > future commentaries:
            >
            > distasteful, incorrect, improper, annoying, immoral, dangerous,
            > aggravating, evil, frustrating, foolish, inappropriate, illegal,
            > heartbreaking, irritating, problematic, questionable, bad, wrong ...
            >
            > I might also point out that Microsoft Word provides a decent
            English
            > language thesaurus, if my short list proves insufficient,
            inadequate,
            > woeful...
            >
            > Please, dear readers, do not be offended by this comment. As a
            writer
            > and editor by profession, I only mean to point out that over-use of
            > ANY word tends to dilute its impact. That is even more true for a
            > made-up word like "sergianism," which really has no succinct and
            > logical definition. The fact that it is bandied about by some
            people
            > as frequently as the word "and" renders its meaning vaguer than
            ever.
            > If you want people to believe this "word" means something, then
            stick
            > to using it in the context of Patriarch Sergius' legacy within the
            MP
            > (that IS what 'sergianism' is supposed to be about, isn't it?)
            >
            > In Christ,
            > Elizabeth
            >
            > (preparing for the onslaught on angry replies from members of one
            camp
            > and the silent cheers from everyone else).
            >
            > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff
            > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
            >

            > > 2. Do you forget that L Rosnyanskaya was sent to Vl Vitaly by the
            NY

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
              Paul Bartlett wrote:

              > Just from a brief membership in these two mailing lists ("synod"
              > and "rocor") I am beginning to wonder if there is so much contention
              > that if God does guide me back to Orthodox Christianity then I wonder
              > where I will hang my hat. I was orginally baptized at Holy
              > Transfiguration Monastery, which then under the ROCOR but is now under
              > some other jurisdiction. All this wrangling in American Orthodoxy is
              > becoming very discouraging. Maybe I should just stay where I now am
              > (which is outside Christianity entirely).

              Let me point out that the impression one gets from these e-mail lists
              is very much skewed. "All this wrangling" is the work of a very small
              handful of people; they are heard from here, but not too much anywhere
              else (though HTM would be the exception, as it has been wrangling since
              1986).

              However, the sad truth is that "all this" has driven many people away
              from Orthodoxy and the Church over the years, who had been thinking of
              joining or returning.

              My recommendation is to visit an actual parish, rather than going only
              by what you read here...

            • Margaret Lark
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
                Glory to God for all things!

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Thank you, Margaret, for saying what so many are
                  thinking. Mr. Bartlett, please just use the delete
                  key when you see certain names. Don't let them
                  dissuade you from returning to Orthodoxy. I hope you
                  find a parish (I am in Rocor, also) where you may be
                  nurtured as you travel the "royal path". I had hopes
                  that some of these characters would make a resolution
                  not to put their vitriol in print for the civil New
                  Year but according to recent posts that doesn't appear
                  to be happening. Let us remember to pray for these
                  poor souls who are tares among the wheat. Delete and
                  pray.... Magdalena

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Peter Okopny
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
                    I am too, dismayed with such badgering going on before Christmas and overall. I thought this line was for FRIENDS of ROCOR ONLY, I believe that these people should be removed from the list since they have proved that they are not!

                    I pray that GOD may help them!

                    One very sinful and annoyed Cossack,

                    Peter Okopny
                    > Just from a brief membership in these two mailing lists ("synod"
                    > and "rocor") I am beginning to wonder if there is so much contention
                    > that if God does guide me back to Orthodox Christianity then I wonder
                    > where I will hang my hat. I was orginally baptized at Holy
                    > Transfiguration Monastery, which then under the ROCOR but is now under
                    > some other jurisdiction. All this wrangling in American Orthodoxy is
                    > becoming very discouraging. Maybe I should just stay where I now am
                    > (which is outside Christianity entirely).

                    Let me point out that the impression one gets from these e-mail lists
                    is very much skewed. "All this wrangling" is the work of a very small
                    handful of people; they are heard from here, but not too much anywhere
                    else (though HTM would be the exception, as it has been wrangling since
                    1986).

                    However, the sad truth is that "all this" has driven many people away
                    from Orthodoxy and the Church over the years, who had been thinking of
                    joining or returning.

                    My recommendation is to visit an actual parish, rather than going only
                    by what you read here...

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Margaret Lark
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 4, 2003
                      Glory to God for all things!

                      And if there's *one* thing you *don't* want to do, it's tick off a Cossack.
                      ;-)

                      In Christ,
                      Margaret Lark, sinner
                    • Hristofor
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 11, 2003
                        At 10:19 AM 1/1/2003, you wrote:
                        >JRS: This endless, but vague, talk of a "new path in the ROCOR" may
                        >seem very convenient to justify doing what one pleases. But when,
                        >exactly, did the "new path" take effect? Vladimir Moss began making
                        >this accusation over two decades ago; he particularly singled out the
                        >late Archbishop Anthony of Geneva as a culprit, but Archbishop Anthony
                        >of Geneva was responsible for the [initially secret] consecrations of
                        >Varnava and Lazarus. It seems to me the very fact that these
                        >accusations, brought forth by various "interested parties" at various
                        >times since at least 1980 or 1981, if not earlier, belie that there has
                        >been any change.

                        The so-called "new path" (a red herring of I ever saw one) can be compared
                        to other hysterical claims of pending doom. Here is a sampling, spanning
                        the centuries:

                        Old-believers thought the world was ending with the nikonian reforms and
                        some even went as far as committing suicide.

                        In the US, there have been untold numbers of sects which have foretold the
                        pending "End of the World". The only thing that has ended was they: either
                        by committing suicide or becoming a laughing stock when the World Did Not End.

                        In the 90's, many Orthodox (myself among them), were concerned by the
                        pope's desire for at least "pascal union" if not liturgical union between
                        Rome and the Protestants by 2000. "See," said the far right-wingers, "first
                        they will force RC Pascha on us and then full union will not be far behind!
                        You wait and see." Well, here we are, waiting to ring in '03 in a few days,
                        and I rarely hear mention about a common Pascha anywhere. In fact, the only
                        talk that I have heard is among the Protestants, for a fixed date for their
                        Easter. That probably would be anathema to Rome, and should be anathema to
                        all Orthodox bishops.

                        Hristofor
                      • goossir <irene.goossens@cec.eu.int>
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 13, 2003
                          Dear Hristofor,

                          You write: « The so-called "new path" (a red herring if I ever saw
                          one) can be compared to other hysterical claims of pending doom …..».

                          The recent dialogue below between Fr Seraphim Holland and Fr John
                          Shaw is hardly a product of our imagination.

                          "--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, " Fr. Seraphim Holland wrote:
                          I have not had experienced much hatred or innuendo for a while, so I
                          want to say plainly: I would completely accept union with the MP if
                          my synod of bishops so desires it. A more likely scenario is
                          liturgical communion, which I would also accept with great joy.
                          Father John Shaw replied (post 7395): It seems to me that the two
                          sides are getting closer and closer to each other all the time.
                          In Christ
                          Fr. John R. Shaw"

                          The rapprochement with the MP is taking place, despite so numerous
                          postings on this list, (and not the least, the last interview of
                          Alexis II, posted by V. Kozyreff), demonstrating the lies and deceits
                          of the MP, which is in no way amending itself but wishes to shush any
                          allusion to sergianism and ecumenism.
                          We see now our priest acknowledging it in the face of the world that
                          they accept with joy communion with the heretical MP.
                          Father Seraphim writes that he is ready to a complete union with the
                          sergianist-ecumenist MP if the synod desires it, in spite of the
                          anathemas of 1983 and 1918. Fr John is confirming the probability of
                          the rapprochement which is already seen in the October 2000 letter
                          from the Synod to the Patriarch of Serbia: "... the desired
                          rapprochement will advance, ...")
                          And in:
                          "We acknowledge that various views on the course of the Church of
                          Russia exist among us, and it happens that these views do not always
                          coincide". (Epistle of the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox
                          Church Outside of Russia To the Divinely Saved Flock in the
                          Homeland). In http://www.holyvirginmaryrocor.org/epistle10-31-01-
                          eng.html

                          Well, dear Hristofor, this is what we call the new path/views in the
                          ROCOR.

                          In Christ,

                          Irina Pahlen

                          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Hristofor <hristofor@m...>

                        • Hristofor
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 14, 2003
                            At 10:40 AM 1/13/2003, you wrote:
                            >Dear Hristofor,
                            >The recent dialogue below between Fr Seraphim Holland and Fr John Shaw is
                            >hardly a product of our imagination.

                            No offense to Frs Seraphim and John, but they are expressing their own
                            opinions and views of the current situation. With the exception of the
                            musings of Vl. Amvrosi and the German newspaper interview with Vl Mark, and
                            etc, all of which have been thoroughly discussed on this list, I have yet
                            to hear any other ROCA bishop express similar pro union views, either in
                            the year that I have been on this list or elsewhere. Not one other bishop.
                            Do one or two bishops set the course and direction of the whole Church? The
                            more so since Vl Amvrosy is not a member of the Synod and thus doesn't even
                            attend the more frequent synodal meetings. As a matter of fact, 2 bishops
                            in separate private conversations have expressed to me a
                            less-then-optimistic picture about the speed for union or communion.

                            >The rapprochement with the MP is taking place,
                            Isn't that what all we Russian emigrees have hoped and prayed for the last
                            80 years? A lady in our parish now has relatives spread through 5
                            _different_ Russian Orthodox jurisdictions, each one claiming to be The
                            Russian Orthodox Church. I myself have them in 3. If someone happens to
                            have some Ukrainian relatives as well, that could theoretically bring the
                            total up to 8 or 9 jurisdictions. Is this normal? Surely you have heard the
                            adage "Concur and divide?" Looks like that is what is happening. I have
                            already mentioned how many Orthodox souls in the US have fallen or drifted
                            away due to marriage etc. How many more need to be lost, because through
                            the tragedy of the Revolution and the Diaspora, the Russian Orthodox no
                            longer speak with one mind and voice? Who will answer for these people who
                            have drifted away?

                            >We see now our priest acknowledging it in the face of the world that
                            >they accept with joy communion with the heretical MP.
                            >Father Seraphim writes that he is ready to a complete union with the
                            >sergianist-ecumenist MP if the synod desires it, in spite of the
                            >anathemas of 1983 and 1918. Fr John is confirming the probability of
                            >the rapprochement which is already seen in the October 2000 letter
                            >from the Synod to the Patriarch of Serbia: "... the desired
                            >rapprochement will advance, ...")

                            BTW, Metropolitan Vitaly signed the letter to the Serbian Patriarch, did he
                            not? Or did he "realise this mistake and remove his signature from that
                            letter as well." There have been so many ukases followed by retractions
                            from Mansonville with his purported signature, that it is hard to keep
                            track...

                            Mr Kozyrev's arguments aside for correcting a mistake, I wonder how many
                            ukazes ROCA has issued in it's 80 year history that have later had
                            signatures retracted from them? Certainly, there have been ukazes changing,
                            abolishing or amending previous ones, as a situation may warrant, but those
                            were always done with a majority of the bishops and not unilaterally. Since
                            Mr Kozyreff has dismissed Fr Alexander's 3 reasons for signature
                            retraction, what then could possibly have changed Vl. Varnava's mind? I
                            presume all the bishops were privy to all the same information: they are
                            all learned and knowledgeable about the current state of World Orthodoxy
                            when the issue of the letter to Patr. Pavle arose. On the other hand, I
                            don't know of any major scandal or crisis which erupted in the Serbian
                            Church directly after our October sobor which would have changed Vl.
                            Varnava's mind so abruptly.

                            >We see now our priest acknowledging it in the face of the world that they
                            >accept with joy communion with the heretical MP.

                            Well, only you and a few others operate under the premise that the MP is
                            heretical.

                            One of the oddest parts to phantom about the schism (assuming that the
                            reason for it is union/communion with Moscow, which I sincerely doubt) is
                            that most of the issues and concerns troubling the French have been
                            occurring in one form or another for years, without much ado. And
                            then--boom!--in an instant, the French are in schism. For instance, just
                            before the split, right there on rue Claude Lorrain, the Moscow
                            myhrr-bearing icon of Tsar-Martyr Nikolai II is brought from Russia and is
                            in our Parisian parish to be venerated. Fast-forward two years later and
                            now some of the same people who venerated the icon are saying that the MP
                            is heretical!!

                            >And in:
                            >"We acknowledge that various views on the course of the Church of
                            >Russia exist among us, and it happens that these views do not always
                            >coincide". (Epistle of the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox
                            >Church Outside of Russia To the Divinely Saved Flock in the
                            >Homeland). In http://www.holyvirginmaryrocor.org/epistle10-31-01-
                            >eng.html
                            >
                            >Well, dear Hristofor, this is what we call the new path/views in the
                            >ROCOR.

                            During the years of Soviet power, I never imagined how the USSR would meet
                            its demise and I certainly didn't think that it would happen the way it
                            would. As much as I would have loved for the USSR to disappear and the
                            clock turn back to 1917, it just didn't happen that way. Hatred of the USSR
                            and all the bad things which happened to Russia in the past century should
                            not turn in to an illogical stumbling block which paralyzes all present and
                            future activity.

                            Labelling everything from the current activities of the MP to banning
                            Christmas in an American school "sergianism" really belittles the true
                            meaning of the word and does a disservice to all those who spoke out
                            against Metropolitan Sergius and were subsequently martyred.

                            Hristofor
                          • wn4732 <wn4732@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 15, 2003
                              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com,

                              Hristofor <hristofor@m...> wrote:

                              > >The rapprochement with the MP is taking place,
                              > Isn't that what all we Russian emigrees have hoped and prayed for
                              the last
                              > 80 years? A lady in our parish now has relatives spread through 5
                              > _different_ Russian Orthodox jurisdictions, each one claiming to be
                              The
                              > Russian Orthodox Church. I myself have them in 3. If someone
                              happens to
                              > have some Ukrainian relatives as well, that could theoretically
                              bring the
                              > total up to 8 or 9 jurisdictions. Is this normal? Surely you have
                              heard the
                              > adage "Concur and divide?" Looks like that is what is happening. I
                              have
                              > already mentioned how many Orthodox souls in the US have fallen or
                              drifted
                              > away due to marriage etc. How many more need to be lost, because
                              through
                              > the tragedy of the Revolution and the Diaspora, the Russian
                              Orthodox no
                              > longer speak with one mind and voice? Who will answer for these
                              people who
                              > have drifted away?

                              Finally a person with his head on straight! God Bless you Sir and may
                              your words penetrate the stubborn hearts among the Orthodox Diaspora.

                              Peter