Re: TELLING THE TRUTH IS DANGEROUS...

  • stefanvpavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@netscap
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 31, 2002
      > - vl. Vladimir is not able to say a word because Met. Vitaly is not
      > ruling
      > ("straw man" fallacy, assumed major)

      Metropolitan Vitaly's health was deteriorating for a number of years
      prior to his personal verbal and written requests to be allowed to
      retire "na pokoi". Metropolitan Vitaly retired and a new Metropolitan
      was duly elected and enthroned. At the present time even his own loyal
      clergy admit that he (Metropolitan Vitaly)is under the control of
      Ludmilla Rasnianskaya, who had during his actual reign as head of the
      Church controlled access to him and controlled correspondence with
      him. She also attempted to hide, cover up and diminish the extent of
      his dementia.

      > - vl. Varnava is a game player
      > (ad hominem + poisoning the well, prejudicial reasoning)

      Bishop Varnava was censured, then he was deposed by the Synod of
      Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Metropolitan
      Vitaly had no individual power or privileged to reinstate Varnava.

      > - vl. Vladimir is not a bishop because he is "so called (vl.)
      > Vladimir"
      > (assumed minor, non sequitur, circular reasoning)

      Not celebrating the Divine Liturgy, but merely attending the service,
      retired "na pokoe" Metropolitan Vitaly witnesses the single handed
      consecration of archimandrite Sergious by deposed monk Varnava.
      Varnava and Archimandrite (non-bishop) Sergious then consecrate
      renegade monk Vladimir. Therefore without prejudicial reasoning,
      poisoning of the well, straw man fallacy, assumed minor, non sequitur,
      circular reasoning or ad hominem; Vladimir IS NOT a Bishop!

      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
    • vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@skynet.be>
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
        Dear father Stefan, bless.

        You write:

        "Metropolitan Vitaly retired and a new Metropolitan was duly elected
        and enthroned. At the present time even his own loyal clergy admit
        that he (Metropolitan Vitaly)is under the control of Ludmilla
        Rasnianskaya, who had during his actual reign as head of the Church
        controlled access to him and controlled correspondence with him. She
        also attempted to hide, cover up and diminish the extent of his
        dementia".

        1. Do you remember that Vl Vitaly was forcefully taken by police (a
        woman police officer) that went to the altar to take him by force for
        a psychiatric examination and that the medical conclusion was that Vl
        Vitaly was sane and able to perform his duties of first hierarch?

        2. Do you forget that L Rosnyanskaya was sent to Vl Vitaly by the NY
        Synod with the mission to take control over him and to try to take
        him back to NY under the control of the NY Synod. Is this not
        frightful, to sin in the name of the truth? Is this not sergianism?

        You write:

        "Bishop Varnava was censured, then he was deposed by the Synod of
        Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Metropolitan
        Vitaly had no individual power or privileged to reinstate Varnava".

        The deposition of Vl Varnava cannot be taken seriously by any
        informed orthodox, knowing that he was judged and condemned without
        hearing, on the basis of irrelevant canons in a way that would
        horrify any person who knows anything about canons, and knowing that
        he was condemned a second time for sins that had already been judged
        and pardoned.

        It is obvious that the real reason for which he was "deposed" was to
        prevent him from resisting the new path order in the ROCOR. In
        conclusion, an orthodox who perceives things as explained above
        cannot accept the deposition as valid and cannot be convinced by mere
        statements to the contrary. Christians are taught to beware of false
        prophets and false teachings and to exert their capacity to identify
        them.

        You write:

        "Not celebrating the Divine Liturgy, but merely attending the
        service, retired "na pokoe" Metropolitan Vitaly witnesses the single
        handed consecration of archimandrite Sergious by deposed monk
        Varnava. Varnava and Archimandrite (non-bishop) Sergious then
        consecrate renegade monk Vladimir. Therefore without prejudicial
        reasoning, poisoning of the well, straw man fallacy, assumed minor,
        non sequitur, circular reasoning or ad hominem; Vladimir IS NOT a
        Bishop!"

        You attempt here to show that using fallacies can lead to the truth.
        This is a kind of intellectual sergianism.

        We all agree that the situation in which we live is very abnormal.
        Who would have predicted that respected priests in the ROCOR would
        promote ecumenism and sergianism?

        Between the abnormality of a group that
        ·claim to follow the tradition of the ROCOR,
        ·show so little ability to convince that it has not taken a new path,
        ·condemn without hearing,
        ·attempt to make its point by recurrent use of fallacies (as
        abundantly shown on this forum),
        ·compare the Church to an army, not to a group united in the love of
        Christ to glorify the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
        ·ignore the conciliar traditions of orthodoxy,
        ·promote ecumenism and sergianism on this very site,
        ·use insult and mockery in order to discredit its opponents,
        ·insist on obedience to a bishop at the expense of the purity of the
        faith
        ·keep on repeating disinformation. (Here again about "renegade monk
        Vladimir". Please see post 6629 « Fr. Alexander Lebedeff wrote : "A
        renegade monk from Jordanville, who ran away spouting lies and
        vitriol against the monastery he had been tonsured in -- now he is
        a "bishop". I learned that Bishop Vladimir did not run away from
        Jordanville. He was given a monastic release by Archbishop Laurus to
        leave the monastery".

        and other abnormalities in a group that was expelled from the ROCOR
        against its will, because they chose to obey Christ before a bishop
        canonically accused of serious mistakes against the Faith,

        Many informed believers of good will chose the latter.

        Dear Father Stefan, if you want to show the veracity of your
        statements, please show evidence.

        The Church is a "unity, not based on a rationalistic science or an
        arbitrary convention, but on the moral law of mutual love and prayer,
        a unity where, in spite of the hierarchical graduation of sacramental
        functions, no one is enslaved, but where all equally are called to be
        participants and co-operators of the common work, in short a unity by
        the grace of God and not by a human institution: such is the unity of
        the Church."

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "stefanvpavlenko

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
          Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:

          > 1. Do you remember that Vl Vitaly was forcefully taken by police (a
          > woman police officer) that went to the altar to take him by force for
          > a psychiatric examination and that the medical conclusion was that Vl
          > Vitaly was sane and able to perform his duties of first hierarch?

          JRS: First of all, as you may recall, it was later shown that no "woman
          police officer" had entered the sanctuary or removed Metropolitan
          Vitaly by force. The "woman who went into the sanctuary" had been
          Ludmilla herself. But quite a lot of disinformation was spread by ROCiE
          people at the time, the more so as there were so few outside witnesses.

          Second, the psychiatric examination that was performed could in no way
          have been competent to judge Metropolitan Vitaly's ability to rule the
          Church. At best, they could state that they found no signs of a mental
          illness. But that is not the same thing as proving he had no signs of
          old-age mental deterioration! He could have been "normal for his age"
          i.e. someone over 90 -- but there are [at least in theory] Synodal
          rules against anyone over 90 holding an official Church administrative
          position.

          > 2. Do you forget that L Rosnyanskaya was sent to Vl Vitaly by the NY
          > Synod with the mission to take control over him and to try to take
          > him back to NY under the control of the NY Synod. Is this not
          > frightful, to sin in the name of the truth? Is this not sergianism?

          JRS: I was not aware this had been shown to be true. There was talk
          that at one point she had offered to bring him back, but that is not
          the same thing as her being "sent with a mission by the NY Synod". It
          also does not sound much like "Sergianism" to me...

          > The deposition of Vl Varnava cannot be taken seriously by any
          > informed orthodox, knowing that he was judged and condemned without
          > hearing, on the basis of irrelevant canons in a way that would
          > horrify any person who knows anything about canons, and knowing that
          > he was condemned a second time for sins that had already been judged
          > and pardoned.

          JRS: Varnava was "judged and condemned without [a] hearing", because he
          himself chose not to go to the Synod. If he had appeared, he would have
          had his "hearing". So the fault was his, and in such cases it is
          childish to think one could void the rulings of a Synodal session by
          ignoring them.

          He was also not "condemned for sins", but for disobedience, and for the
          kind of contempt for Church order that his refusal to appear
          demonstrated.

          > It is obvious that the real reason for which he was "deposed" was to
          > prevent him from resisting the new path order in the ROCOR.

          JRS: This endless, but vague, talk of a "new path in the ROCOR" may
          seem very convenient to justify doing what one pleases. But when,
          exactly, did the "new path" take effect? Vladimir Moss began making
          this accusation over two decades ago; he particularly singled out the
          late Archbishop Anthony of Geneva as a culprit, but Archbishop Anthony
          of Geneva was responsible for the [initially secret] consecrations of
          Varnava and Lazarus. It seems to me the very fact that these
          accusations, brought forth by various "interested parties" at various
          times since at least 1980 or 1981, if not earlier, belie that there has
          been any change.

          On the contrary, there are some angry and impatient voices on the other
          side that berate us for failing, even after all these years, to
          normalize relations with the Patriarchate.

          It can't be both ways: if in 1976, or 1980-81, or 1986, or 1995, or
          2001, the Church Abroad is accused of "embarking on a new path", and at
          the same time accused by others of sitting, in the English idiom, "like
          a bump on a log", then we must have been about in the same place in
          1976 as we are today...

          > In
          > conclusion, an orthodox who perceives things as explained above
          > cannot accept the deposition as valid and cannot be convinced by mere
          > statements to the contrary. Christians are taught to beware of false
          > prophets and false teachings and to exert their capacity to identify
          > them.

          JRS: This kind of argument approximates that of the Protestants: the
          individual to decide and interpret for himself!

          But while, in Protestant thinking, it is the Bible that is "absolute"
          and which each must somehow make sense of, in the argument you advance
          above, the Acts of the 7 Councils would, presumably, take this place.
          Yet in that case, the Canons (like the codification of the Bible)
          derive their authority from the Church, from the Councils, and not vice-
          versa.

          And the disciplinary Canons (as opposed to those that define dogma) can
          only be used by the hierarchy. To call on the individual to use them,
          is like giving computer files to someone who lives in a land without
          telephone lines, cables, or electricity...

        • DCNDIMITRI@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
            In a message dated 01/01/2003 10:20:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            vrevjrs@... writes:

            > > on the basis of irrelevant canons in a way that would
            > > horrify any person who knows anything about canons, and knowing that
            > > he was condemned a second time for sins that had already been judged
            > > and pardoned.
            >
            > JRS: Varnava was "judged and condemned without [a] hearing", because he
            > himself chose not to go to the Synod. If he had appeared, he would have
            > had his "hearing". So the fault was his, and in such cases it is
            > childish to think one could void the rulings of a Synodal session by
            > ignoring them.

            I have been following this thread from its beginning. I can no longer
            keep silent as the likes of a Mr. Vladimir Kozyreff distort the facts. With
            statements such as "The deposition of Vl Varnava cannot be taken seriously by
            any informed orthodox, knowing that he was judged and condemned without
            hearing...," you show your true intentions and your lack of knowledge of the
            facts. Father John is correct in his response above.
            I am aware of 2 separate telephone conversations, one of which I
            personally witnessed, to the now Monk Varnava. Both telephone calls were
            made to insure that Monk Varnava would attend the hearing. They were
            compassionate pleas for him to come to the Synod and to be heard. Monk
            Varnava did not "choose" not to go to the Synod, he REFUSED! Therefore, he
            is in control of his own destiny and received exactly what he deserved, based
            on his actions. No one can dispute this, I was at the Synod, I saw and heard
            it myself. It is indeed a real shame because all this could have been
            avoided had Monk Varnava shown up.

            In Christ,
            the unworthy
            deacon dimitri temidis
          • VladMoss@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
              In a message dated 01/01/03 15:20:29 GMT Standard Time, vrevjrs@...
              writes:

              > JRS: This endless, but vague, talk of a "new path in the ROCOR" may
              > seem very convenient to justify doing what one pleases. But when,
              > exactly, did the "new path" take effect? Vladimir Moss began making
              > this accusation over two decades ago; he particularly singled out the
              > late Archbishop Anthony of Geneva as a culprit, but Archbishop Anthony
              > of Geneva was responsible for the [initially secret] consecrations of
              > Varnava and Lazarus. It seems to me the very fact that these
              > accusations, brought forth by various "interested parties" at various
              > times since at least 1980 or 1981, if not earlier, belie that there has
              > been any change.

              A new path in ecclesiology does not immediately become apparent to all, and
              it takes time to gather speed.

              It began with Archbishop Anthony, who, contrary to the public promises of the
              ROCOR Synod to the Old Calendarist Greeks, entered into communion with the
              Greek new calendarists. When I protested, Metropolitan Philaret told me to my
              face that I was right, but that he had no power to stop Anthony. However, the
              1983 anathema against ecumenism put at least a partial stop to the process of
              concelebrating with ecumenists.

              But it started again in 1986, with the partial disavowal of the 1983 anathema
              and Archbishop Anthony's instructing his clergy to serve with the new
              calendarists when in Greece, which led to the departure of the ROCOR's Paris
              mission to the OCs. Further activities of this sort also led to HOCNA's
              departure - although I do not deny that in that case there were also personal
              motives involved.

              In the 1990s the "new path" gathered momentum with ambiguous statements about
              the MP and more or less continuous and official communion with the Serbs,
              which greatly troubled especially the new members (and bishops) of the ROCOR
              inside Russia. This process reached its climax with the ROCOR Sobor's
              official letter to the Serbian Patriarch (only a few months after that
              patriarch called the ROCOR "schismatical") asking him to help in restoring
              communion with the Soviet church.

              So the path is not that new, but its adoption by the whole of the ROCOR Synod
              (excluding Metropolitan Vitaly and Archbishop Barnabas, of course) is new.

              Vladimir Moss

            • VladMoss@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
                writes:

                > And the disciplinary Canons (as opposed to those that define dogma) can
                > only be used by the hierarchy. To call on the individual to use them,
                > is like giving computer files to someone who lives in a land without
                > telephone lines, cables, or electricity...

                Does not every priest in the Orthodox Church swear to abide by the canons?
                Even a layman like myself was asked formally to accept their authority when I
                joined the MP from Anglicanism in 1974.

                Certainly, no decree of any secular authority, even if he is an Orthodox
                Emperor like Peter the Great, can stand if it is opposed to the Holy Canons.

                Vladimir Moss

              • boulia_1 <eledkovsky@hotmail.com>
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
                  I should like to respectfully point out to those brothers and sisters
                  in Christ for whom English is a second, or (probably) a third (or
                  maybe even fourth or fifth) language, an error that is repeatedly made
                  on this list.

                  That error is the increasingly frequent use of a made-up (i.e.
                  non-existent in the English language) word as an adverb or adjective
                  (see just a few recent examples below).

                  It appears that this word has become, for certain posters, a
                  catch-all, to be used to describe any activity by any person or
                  ogranization of which he or she disapproves. In a sincere attempt to
                  help these people convey their opinions more accurately, I offer some
                  examples of descriptive words that actually excist in the English
                  language, that might be used as a substitute for "sergianism" in
                  future commentaries:

                  distasteful, incorrect, improper, annoying, immoral, dangerous,
                  aggravating, evil, frustrating, foolish, inappropriate, illegal,
                  heartbreaking, irritating, problematic, questionable, bad, wrong ...

                  I might also point out that Microsoft Word provides a decent English
                  language thesaurus, if my short list proves insufficient, inadequate,
                  woeful...

                  Please, dear readers, do not be offended by this comment. As a writer
                  and editor by profession, I only mean to point out that over-use of
                  ANY word tends to dilute its impact. That is even more true for a
                  made-up word like "sergianism," which really has no succinct and
                  logical definition. The fact that it is bandied about by some people
                  as frequently as the word "and" renders its meaning vaguer than ever.
                  If you want people to believe this "word" means something, then stick
                  to using it in the context of Patriarch Sergius' legacy within the MP
                  (that IS what 'sergianism' is supposed to be about, isn't it?)

                  In Christ,
                  Elizabeth

                  (preparing for the onslaught on angry replies from members of one camp
                  and the silent cheers from everyone else).

                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff
                  <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

                  > 2. Do you forget that L Rosnyanskaya was sent to Vl Vitaly by the NY
                  > Synod with the mission to take control over him and to try to take
                  > him back to NY under the control of the NY Synod. Is this not
                  > frightful, to sin in the name of the truth? Is this not sergianism?
                  >

                  > You attempt here to show that using fallacies can lead to the truth.
                  > This is a kind of intellectual sergianism.
                  >
                  > We all agree that the situation in which we live is very abnormal.
                  > Who would have predicted that respected priests in the ROCOR would
                  > promote ecumenism and sergianism?

                • Paul O. BARTLETT
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
                    On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@...> wrote:
                    (excerpt):

                    > You attempt here to show that using fallacies can lead to the truth.
                    > This is a kind of intellectual sergianism.

                    Could someone be kind enough to define "intellectual sergianism"?
                    Thanks.

                    Just from a brief membership in these two mailing lists ("synod"
                    and "rocor") I am beginning to wonder if there is so much contention
                    that if God does guide me back to Orthodox Christianity then I wonder
                    where I will hang my hat. I was orginally baptized at Holy
                    Transfiguration Monastery, which then under the ROCOR but is now under
                    some other jurisdiction. All this wrangling in American Orthodoxy is
                    becoming very discouraging. Maybe I should just stay where I now am
                    (which is outside Christianity entirely).

                    --
                    Paul Bartlett
                    bartlett at smart.net
                  • Margaret Lark
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Glory to God for all things!

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
                        Dear Elizabeth,

                        You write: " I offer some examples of descriptive words that
                        actually exist in the English language, that might be used as a
                        substitute for "sergianism" in future commentaries: distasteful,
                        incorrect, improper, annoying, immoral, dangerous, aggravating,
                        evil, frustrating, foolish, inappropriate, illegal, heartbreaking,
                        irritating, problematic, questionable, bad, wrong ..."

                        Let me kindly comment that, except evil, distasteful, heartbreaking
                        and wrong, which are English and which everybody knows, all other
                        adjectives of your list are French.

                        I disagree with your suggestion to use them instead of sergianism,
                        because they are adjectives, and because they express psychological,
                        affective reactions. They cannot be substitutes for an abstract noun
                        which expresses a theological concept. In speaking about the Church,
                        would you suggest, in order to keep the impact strong enough, to
                        replace that term by such adjectives as: tasteful, correct, proper,
                        moral, safe, alleviating, beneficial, satisfactory, intelligent,
                        appropriate, legal, consoling, quietening, clear, unquestionable,
                        good, right…?

                        Regarding your idea that "If you want people to believe this "word"
                        means something, then stick to using it in the context of Patriarch
                        Sergius' legacy within the MP (that IS what 'sergianism' is supposed
                        to be about, isn't it?)", let me say the following:

                        The human mind works by identifying common patterns among apparently
                        separate objects. Showing the efficiency of this in research and
                        intelligence was one of the most important contributions of
                        structuralism in philosophy. This is the way the natural sciences and
                        medicine progress too.

                        When Father Shaw suggest that I am "protestant", he makes the kind of
                        generalisation which is the basic function of intelligence. He
                        analysed the essence of Protestantism and did not restrict himself to
                        call Protestants the formal or nominal adepts of Luther's and
                        associates' legacy. He just decided to call "Protestantism" the
                        attitude by which a man makes his personal religion, which is the
                        essence of Protestantism, by contrast to orthodoxy, in which the
                        faith is one and common. In this, he is correct. One can thus say "In
                        every man's soul, a protestant is sleeping".

                        In the same way, one might say "In every man's soul, a sergianist is
                        sleeping".

                        I attempt to analyse the essence of sergianism. I think it is the
                        belief that, in particularly critical situations, instead of
                        recommending one's soul to God with even more fervour, one must and
                        can defend the divine truth by lying.

                        In other words, you can and must make a deal with the Liar to save
                        the Church of Christ in particular circumstances. It is thus the
                        apology of lie as a supreme and last resort when God has abandoned
                        His people. It is related to the principle that the goal justifies
                        the means. That is why I speak about intellectual sergianism when one
                        claim to defend the truth by fallacies. The affective reactions that
                        this evokes in your mind are interesting, but are altogether a
                        different theme.

                        I try to find out how perverse sergianism is and how it can
                        infiltrate our thinking as a cancer can invade an organism. Remember
                        that Met Sergius was also an ecumenist before the letter (see post
                        7041). I think there is a link between the two heresies. It can be
                        observed in concrete cases (the defenders of the first defend the
                        second and vice versa, as seen on this list). If one analyses the
                        essence of the two heresies, I suspect that one might find out that
                        they have a lot in common.

                        Christ was crucified because the Jews could not accept that the
                        Kingdom is not of this world. They felt betrayed by the claim that
                        the Messiah would not liberate them from the Romans, but from the
                        sin. The main enemy of man, Satan, constantly tries to convince us
                        that the Kingdom is of this world, on the contrary. Met Sergius could
                        not accept that the fight does not go about material things, even
                        when the Faith is persecuted. Even Orthodox find it sometimes hard to
                        accept, in spite of their confessing the creed.

                        Let us thus call a cat a cat and sergianism sergianism. In saying
                        that we should not use the term because it is not defined is joining
                        the MP in its attempt to escape repentance. In addition, in doing so,
                        you are teaching a lesson to our predecessors in our dear Church and
                        to the millions of martyrs that considered sergianism to be
                        sufficiently well defined to die for refusing it. Please see again
                        Father Alexander Lebedeff first manner below.

                        Fighting sergianism is one of the main reasons for our Church to
                        exist. When it disappears with ecumenism and when the MP repents, we
                        will automatically cease to exist as ROCOR and become the orthodox
                        Church of Russia. So, this is not a boring theme for a believer.

                        In God,

                        Vladimir Kozyreff

                        Sergianism is not the recognition by the Church of the existence of a
                        State dedicated to the eradication of the Church.

                        It is not the recognition by the Church of the authority of a State
                        dedicated to the eradication of the Church.

                        It is not the cooperation of the Church with a State dedicated to the
                        eradication of the Church.

                        Sergianism, in its essence, is the concept that in order for the
                        Church to preserve some semblance of its existence in the face of a
                        State dedicated to the eradication of the Church, it is permissible
                        for the Church (as represented by its ecclesiastical authorities—its
                        hierarchs and senior clergy) to lie—to lie openly and bare-headedly,
                        both to one's flock, and to the entire world.

                        To lie openly about the extent of the persecution of the Church by
                        the State.

                        To lie openly about the very existence of persecution of the Church
                        by the State.

                        To lie openly by denying the Martyrs and Confessors of the Church.

                        Sergianism is the very denial of Christ, Who said "I am the Way, the
                        Truth, and the Life."

                        Sergianism is the very denial of the path of Christ, the path of the
                        Cross, the path of Confessors and Martyrs.

                        Sergianism is the embodiment of the concept that the "end justifies
                        the means," that any means, including those expressly forbidden by
                        God's commandments (specifically, "Thou shalt not bear false
                        witness"), are permissible, as long as the goal is to "save the
                        Church."

                        Sergianism is the affirmation of the concept that it is we who
                        must "save the Church," even at the cost of lying openly and
                        bareheadedly (thus following the path of Satan, the "Father of
                        Lies"), rather than it is us who must be saved by the Church, by our
                        standing fast in the Truth, even in the face of persecution, torture,
                        and martyrdom.

                        As such, Sergianism is contrary to our very calling, as Christians,
                        and must be totally rejected by Orthodox Christians, and it must
                        never be justified.

                        Those who attempt to justify it are, unfortunately, just compounding
                        the sins of their predecessors.

                        The sooner this sad page in contemporary Orthodox history is put
                        behind us, the sooner we can all move forward in proclaiming God's
                        eternal truth.

                        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1 <eledkovsky@h...>"

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 1, 2003
                          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff
                          <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
                          > Dear father Stefan, bless.
                          >
                          > You write:
                          >
                          > "Metropolitan Vitaly retired and a new Metropolitan was duly elected
                          > and enthroned. At the present time even his own loyal clergy admit
                          > that he (Metropolitan Vitaly)is under the control of Ludmilla
                          > Rasnianskaya, who had during his actual reign as head of the Church
                          > controlled access to him and controlled correspondence with him. She
                          > also attempted to hide, cover up and diminish the extent of his
                          > dementia".
                          >
                          > 1. Do you remember that Vl Vitaly was forcefully taken by police (a
                          > woman police officer) that went to the altar to take him by force for
                          > a psychiatric examination and that the medical conclusion was that Vl
                          > Vitaly was sane and able to perform his duties of first hierarch?

                          Do you remember why that happened?
                          Police had been called to the Synod of Bishops in NY. They had been
                          told that Met. Vitaly was either unconscious on the floor or in grave
                          physical danger. The police supported the Met. when he chose to go to
                          Mansonville with Mrs. Rasnyanskaya. When the police were shown
                          medications for various diseases including dementia which were
                          prescribed by different doctors and dispensed by different pharmacies
                          they feared they could be responsible for the Metropolitans future
                          well being. The US Border police and Canadian police arrived at
                          Mansonville. Here, not like at the Synod they were not allowed
                          immediate access to the Metropolitan. The church doors were locked
                          (?!) and they were delayed. This brought there response level up a
                          number of degrees and they no longer remained cordial. The medical
                          doctors in the hospital found Metropolitan Vitaly sane, and not a
                          threat to himself or any one else, sanity and dementia are different.
                          The letter from ROCiE clerics shows that they now agree that the
                          Metropolitan is in some state of mental deterioration.

                          > 2. Do you forget that L Rosnyanskaya was sent to Vl Vitaly by the NY
                          > Synod with the mission to take control over him and to try to take
                          > him back to NY under the control of the NY Synod. Is this not
                          > frightful, to sin in the name of the truth? Is this not sergianism?

                          It seems that it was hoped that the Metropolitan could reside at the
                          Convent Novo Diveevo near NY. It was a concession to the Metropolitans
                          insistence to allow Mrs. Rasnyanskaya to continue being his care
                          taker, declawed and neutralized. As it turned out she took advantage
                          of all parties concerned and having reunited with the Metropolitan she
                          reasserted her previous devious position.

                          > You write:
                          >
                          > "Bishop Varnava was censured, then he was deposed by the Synod of
                          > Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Metropolitan
                          > Vitaly had no individual power or privileged to reinstate Varnava".
                          >
                          > The deposition of Vl Varnava cannot be taken seriously by any
                          > informed orthodox, knowing that he was judged and condemned without
                          > hearing, on the basis of irrelevant canons in a way that would
                          > horrify any person who knows anything about canons, and knowing that
                          > he was condemned a second time for sins that had already been judged
                          > and pardoned.

                          The Synod of Bishops, including Metropolitan Vitaly censured Bishop
                          Varnava for his activities and the Synod of Bishops deposed him for
                          his support of the schismatic priests and establishment of his own
                          Church Authority in Europe which infringed on other bishop's diocese.
                          He chose not to attend a Synod gathering that was ready to examine his
                          case and there by forfeited his appeals. When a person repents of a
                          sin it is understood that he rejects it forever, if he returns to that
                          sin or he has reservations at the time of repentance, he most
                          certainly may be judged guilty again.

                          > It is obvious that the real reason for which he was "deposed" was to
                          > prevent him from resisting the new path order in the ROCOR.

                          There is no NEW PATH, other that the one ROCiE has invented.

                          In
                          > conclusion, an orthodox who perceives things as explained above
                          > cannot accept the deposition as valid and cannot be convinced by mere
                          > statements to the contrary. Christians are taught to beware of false
                          > prophets and false teachings and to exert their capacity to identify
                          > them.
                          >

                          > You attempt here to show that using fallacies can lead to the truth.
                          > This is a kind of intellectual sergianism.

                          Varnava was deposed. A Fact.
                          Metropolitan Vitaly retired. A Fact.
                          Metropolitan didn't celebrate the Liturgy. A Fact.
                          Archimandrite Sergious was not properly consecrated. A Fact
                          Vladimir was among those who caused trouble at Holy Trinity Monastery.
                          A Fact.
                          Vladimir's consecration is not valid. A Fact.

                          Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
                            Paul Bartlett wrote:

                            > Just from a brief membership in these two mailing lists ("synod"
                            > and "rocor") I am beginning to wonder if there is so much contention
                            > that if God does guide me back to Orthodox Christianity then I wonder
                            > where I will hang my hat. I was orginally baptized at Holy
                            > Transfiguration Monastery, which then under the ROCOR but is now under
                            > some other jurisdiction. All this wrangling in American Orthodoxy is
                            > becoming very discouraging. Maybe I should just stay where I now am
                            > (which is outside Christianity entirely).

                            Let me point out that the impression one gets from these e-mail lists
                            is very much skewed. "All this wrangling" is the work of a very small
                            handful of people; they are heard from here, but not too much anywhere
                            else (though HTM would be the exception, as it has been wrangling since
                            1986).

                            However, the sad truth is that "all this" has driven many people away
                            from Orthodoxy and the Church over the years, who had been thinking of
                            joining or returning.

                            My recommendation is to visit an actual parish, rather than going only
                            by what you read here...

                          • Margaret Lark
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
                              Glory to God for all things!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
                                Thank you, Margaret, for saying what so many are
                                thinking. Mr. Bartlett, please just use the delete
                                key when you see certain names. Don't let them
                                dissuade you from returning to Orthodoxy. I hope you
                                find a parish (I am in Rocor, also) where you may be
                                nurtured as you travel the "royal path". I had hopes
                                that some of these characters would make a resolution
                                not to put their vitriol in print for the civil New
                                Year but according to recent posts that doesn't appear
                                to be happening. Let us remember to pray for these
                                poor souls who are tares among the wheat. Delete and
                                pray.... Magdalena

                                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                              • Peter Okopny
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  I am too, dismayed with such badgering going on before Christmas and overall. I thought this line was for FRIENDS of ROCOR ONLY, I believe that these people should be removed from the list since they have proved that they are not!

                                  I pray that GOD may help them!

                                  One very sinful and annoyed Cossack,

                                  Peter Okopny
                                  > Just from a brief membership in these two mailing lists ("synod"
                                  > and "rocor") I am beginning to wonder if there is so much contention
                                  > that if God does guide me back to Orthodox Christianity then I wonder
                                  > where I will hang my hat. I was orginally baptized at Holy
                                  > Transfiguration Monastery, which then under the ROCOR but is now under
                                  > some other jurisdiction. All this wrangling in American Orthodoxy is
                                  > becoming very discouraging. Maybe I should just stay where I now am
                                  > (which is outside Christianity entirely).

                                  Let me point out that the impression one gets from these e-mail lists
                                  is very much skewed. "All this wrangling" is the work of a very small
                                  handful of people; they are heard from here, but not too much anywhere
                                  else (though HTM would be the exception, as it has been wrangling since
                                  1986).

                                  However, the sad truth is that "all this" has driven many people away
                                  from Orthodoxy and the Church over the years, who had been thinking of
                                  joining or returning.

                                  My recommendation is to visit an actual parish, rather than going only
                                  by what you read here...

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Margaret Lark
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 4, 2003
                                    Glory to God for all things!

                                    And if there's *one* thing you *don't* want to do, it's tick off a Cossack.
                                    ;-)

                                    In Christ,
                                    Margaret Lark, sinner
                                  • Hristofor
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 11, 2003
                                      At 10:19 AM 1/1/2003, you wrote:
                                      >JRS: This endless, but vague, talk of a "new path in the ROCOR" may
                                      >seem very convenient to justify doing what one pleases. But when,
                                      >exactly, did the "new path" take effect? Vladimir Moss began making
                                      >this accusation over two decades ago; he particularly singled out the
                                      >late Archbishop Anthony of Geneva as a culprit, but Archbishop Anthony
                                      >of Geneva was responsible for the [initially secret] consecrations of
                                      >Varnava and Lazarus. It seems to me the very fact that these
                                      >accusations, brought forth by various "interested parties" at various
                                      >times since at least 1980 or 1981, if not earlier, belie that there has
                                      >been any change.

                                      The so-called "new path" (a red herring of I ever saw one) can be compared
                                      to other hysterical claims of pending doom. Here is a sampling, spanning
                                      the centuries:

                                      Old-believers thought the world was ending with the nikonian reforms and
                                      some even went as far as committing suicide.

                                      In the US, there have been untold numbers of sects which have foretold the
                                      pending "End of the World". The only thing that has ended was they: either
                                      by committing suicide or becoming a laughing stock when the World Did Not End.

                                      In the 90's, many Orthodox (myself among them), were concerned by the
                                      pope's desire for at least "pascal union" if not liturgical union between
                                      Rome and the Protestants by 2000. "See," said the far right-wingers, "first
                                      they will force RC Pascha on us and then full union will not be far behind!
                                      You wait and see." Well, here we are, waiting to ring in '03 in a few days,
                                      and I rarely hear mention about a common Pascha anywhere. In fact, the only
                                      talk that I have heard is among the Protestants, for a fixed date for their
                                      Easter. That probably would be anathema to Rome, and should be anathema to
                                      all Orthodox bishops.

                                      Hristofor
                                    • goossir <irene.goossens@cec.eu.int>
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 13, 2003
                                        Dear Hristofor,

                                        You write: « The so-called "new path" (a red herring if I ever saw
                                        one) can be compared to other hysterical claims of pending doom …..».

                                        The recent dialogue below between Fr Seraphim Holland and Fr John
                                        Shaw is hardly a product of our imagination.

                                        "--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, " Fr. Seraphim Holland wrote:
                                        I have not had experienced much hatred or innuendo for a while, so I
                                        want to say plainly: I would completely accept union with the MP if
                                        my synod of bishops so desires it. A more likely scenario is
                                        liturgical communion, which I would also accept with great joy.
                                        Father John Shaw replied (post 7395): It seems to me that the two
                                        sides are getting closer and closer to each other all the time.
                                        In Christ
                                        Fr. John R. Shaw"

                                        The rapprochement with the MP is taking place, despite so numerous
                                        postings on this list, (and not the least, the last interview of
                                        Alexis II, posted by V. Kozyreff), demonstrating the lies and deceits
                                        of the MP, which is in no way amending itself but wishes to shush any
                                        allusion to sergianism and ecumenism.
                                        We see now our priest acknowledging it in the face of the world that
                                        they accept with joy communion with the heretical MP.
                                        Father Seraphim writes that he is ready to a complete union with the
                                        sergianist-ecumenist MP if the synod desires it, in spite of the
                                        anathemas of 1983 and 1918. Fr John is confirming the probability of
                                        the rapprochement which is already seen in the October 2000 letter
                                        from the Synod to the Patriarch of Serbia: "... the desired
                                        rapprochement will advance, ...")
                                        And in:
                                        "We acknowledge that various views on the course of the Church of
                                        Russia exist among us, and it happens that these views do not always
                                        coincide". (Epistle of the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox
                                        Church Outside of Russia To the Divinely Saved Flock in the
                                        Homeland). In http://www.holyvirginmaryrocor.org/epistle10-31-01-
                                        eng.html

                                        Well, dear Hristofor, this is what we call the new path/views in the
                                        ROCOR.

                                        In Christ,

                                        Irina Pahlen

                                        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Hristofor <hristofor@m...>

                                      • Hristofor
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 14, 2003
                                          At 10:40 AM 1/13/2003, you wrote:
                                          >Dear Hristofor,
                                          >The recent dialogue below between Fr Seraphim Holland and Fr John Shaw is
                                          >hardly a product of our imagination.

                                          No offense to Frs Seraphim and John, but they are expressing their own
                                          opinions and views of the current situation. With the exception of the
                                          musings of Vl. Amvrosi and the German newspaper interview with Vl Mark, and
                                          etc, all of which have been thoroughly discussed on this list, I have yet
                                          to hear any other ROCA bishop express similar pro union views, either in
                                          the year that I have been on this list or elsewhere. Not one other bishop.
                                          Do one or two bishops set the course and direction of the whole Church? The
                                          more so since Vl Amvrosy is not a member of the Synod and thus doesn't even
                                          attend the more frequent synodal meetings. As a matter of fact, 2 bishops
                                          in separate private conversations have expressed to me a
                                          less-then-optimistic picture about the speed for union or communion.

                                          >The rapprochement with the MP is taking place,
                                          Isn't that what all we Russian emigrees have hoped and prayed for the last
                                          80 years? A lady in our parish now has relatives spread through 5
                                          _different_ Russian Orthodox jurisdictions, each one claiming to be The
                                          Russian Orthodox Church. I myself have them in 3. If someone happens to
                                          have some Ukrainian relatives as well, that could theoretically bring the
                                          total up to 8 or 9 jurisdictions. Is this normal? Surely you have heard the
                                          adage "Concur and divide?" Looks like that is what is happening. I have
                                          already mentioned how many Orthodox souls in the US have fallen or drifted
                                          away due to marriage etc. How many more need to be lost, because through
                                          the tragedy of the Revolution and the Diaspora, the Russian Orthodox no
                                          longer speak with one mind and voice? Who will answer for these people who
                                          have drifted away?

                                          >We see now our priest acknowledging it in the face of the world that
                                          >they accept with joy communion with the heretical MP.
                                          >Father Seraphim writes that he is ready to a complete union with the
                                          >sergianist-ecumenist MP if the synod desires it, in spite of the
                                          >anathemas of 1983 and 1918. Fr John is confirming the probability of
                                          >the rapprochement which is already seen in the October 2000 letter
                                          >from the Synod to the Patriarch of Serbia: "... the desired
                                          >rapprochement will advance, ...")

                                          BTW, Metropolitan Vitaly signed the letter to the Serbian Patriarch, did he
                                          not? Or did he "realise this mistake and remove his signature from that
                                          letter as well." There have been so many ukases followed by retractions
                                          from Mansonville with his purported signature, that it is hard to keep
                                          track...

                                          Mr Kozyrev's arguments aside for correcting a mistake, I wonder how many
                                          ukazes ROCA has issued in it's 80 year history that have later had
                                          signatures retracted from them? Certainly, there have been ukazes changing,
                                          abolishing or amending previous ones, as a situation may warrant, but those
                                          were always done with a majority of the bishops and not unilaterally. Since
                                          Mr Kozyreff has dismissed Fr Alexander's 3 reasons for signature
                                          retraction, what then could possibly have changed Vl. Varnava's mind? I
                                          presume all the bishops were privy to all the same information: they are
                                          all learned and knowledgeable about the current state of World Orthodoxy
                                          when the issue of the letter to Patr. Pavle arose. On the other hand, I
                                          don't know of any major scandal or crisis which erupted in the Serbian
                                          Church directly after our October sobor which would have changed Vl.
                                          Varnava's mind so abruptly.

                                          >We see now our priest acknowledging it in the face of the world that they
                                          >accept with joy communion with the heretical MP.

                                          Well, only you and a few others operate under the premise that the MP is
                                          heretical.

                                          One of the oddest parts to phantom about the schism (assuming that the
                                          reason for it is union/communion with Moscow, which I sincerely doubt) is
                                          that most of the issues and concerns troubling the French have been
                                          occurring in one form or another for years, without much ado. And
                                          then--boom!--in an instant, the French are in schism. For instance, just
                                          before the split, right there on rue Claude Lorrain, the Moscow
                                          myhrr-bearing icon of Tsar-Martyr Nikolai II is brought from Russia and is
                                          in our Parisian parish to be venerated. Fast-forward two years later and
                                          now some of the same people who venerated the icon are saying that the MP
                                          is heretical!!

                                          >And in:
                                          >"We acknowledge that various views on the course of the Church of
                                          >Russia exist among us, and it happens that these views do not always
                                          >coincide". (Epistle of the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox
                                          >Church Outside of Russia To the Divinely Saved Flock in the
                                          >Homeland). In http://www.holyvirginmaryrocor.org/epistle10-31-01-
                                          >eng.html
                                          >
                                          >Well, dear Hristofor, this is what we call the new path/views in the
                                          >ROCOR.

                                          During the years of Soviet power, I never imagined how the USSR would meet
                                          its demise and I certainly didn't think that it would happen the way it
                                          would. As much as I would have loved for the USSR to disappear and the
                                          clock turn back to 1917, it just didn't happen that way. Hatred of the USSR
                                          and all the bad things which happened to Russia in the past century should
                                          not turn in to an illogical stumbling block which paralyzes all present and
                                          future activity.

                                          Labelling everything from the current activities of the MP to banning
                                          Christmas in an American school "sergianism" really belittles the true
                                          meaning of the word and does a disservice to all those who spoke out
                                          against Metropolitan Sergius and were subsequently martyred.

                                          Hristofor
                                        • wn4732 <wn4732@yahoo.com>
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 15, 2003
                                            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com,

                                            Hristofor <hristofor@m...> wrote:

                                            > >The rapprochement with the MP is taking place,
                                            > Isn't that what all we Russian emigrees have hoped and prayed for
                                            the last
                                            > 80 years? A lady in our parish now has relatives spread through 5
                                            > _different_ Russian Orthodox jurisdictions, each one claiming to be
                                            The
                                            > Russian Orthodox Church. I myself have them in 3. If someone
                                            happens to
                                            > have some Ukrainian relatives as well, that could theoretically
                                            bring the
                                            > total up to 8 or 9 jurisdictions. Is this normal? Surely you have
                                            heard the
                                            > adage "Concur and divide?" Looks like that is what is happening. I
                                            have
                                            > already mentioned how many Orthodox souls in the US have fallen or
                                            drifted
                                            > away due to marriage etc. How many more need to be lost, because
                                            through
                                            > the tragedy of the Revolution and the Diaspora, the Russian
                                            Orthodox no
                                            > longer speak with one mind and voice? Who will answer for these
                                            people who
                                            > have drifted away?

                                            Finally a person with his head on straight! God Bless you Sir and may
                                            your words penetrate the stubborn hearts among the Orthodox Diaspora.

                                            Peter