Rather Confused

  • Paul O. BARTLETT
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2002
      (I am sending this to two lists, because, as I mentioned in a
      lists themselves. Also, if someone thinks that this might better be
      handled off-list, I will cheerfully accept private emails. I check
      my email at least once a day.)

      Years ago I was an Orthodox Christian (in the USA) in the
      jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, but I fell
      away from the Faith. Recently I have had some interest in the
      possibility of returning, but, to be honest, I am not sure which way to
      turn. The situation of Orthodox Christianity in North America seems so
      chaotic and confused!

      There are groups and subgroups, with bishops all over everywhere.
      Some groups recognize each other, and some do not. Conservative/liberal;
      traditional/modern; old-calendar/new-calendar; "ethnic"/non-ethnic,
      English/non-English; tied-to-an-"old country"/not. I have even heard a
      rumor of some disagreement within the ROCOR itself over a major issue.

      To someone who is now outside looking in, it all seems like a real
      mess, rather confusing and even somewhat distressing. (Recently one
      non-ROCOR priest in another part of the world recommended that I go to
      the nearest O parish, provided that I can communicate with the priest
      well, but from what I have read on the www, in my mind there may even be
      a question of the canonicity of the bishop that parish commemorates in
      the Liturgy!)

      I speak only English, and even within the ROCOR, the nearest
      "English-speaking" parish is too far away for me to attend conveniently
      and talk to the priest. (I have fallen on very hard times and cannot
      afford the gasoline.)

      Any thoughts on what approach someone who is now an outsider might
      take in what seems to be a messy environment? Thanks.

      --
      Paul Bartlett
      bartlett at smart.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2002
        Paul Bartlett wrote:

        > I speak only English, and even within the ROCOR, the nearest
        > "English-speaking" parish is too far away for me to attend
        conveniently
        > and talk to the priest. (I have fallen on very hard times and cannot
        > afford the gasoline.)

        In our day of the internet and e-mail, not to mention telephone lines
        and "snail-mail", it is relatively easy to be in contact with people
        regardless of where one lives.

        As to "English-speaking ROCOR parishes", I would say that regardless of
        who speaks or prays in what language in the parish, the overwhelming
        majority of the priests are quite able to converse in English.

      • VladMoss@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2002
          In a message dated 29/12/02 22:20:20 GMT Standard Time, bartlett@...
          writes:

          > I speak only English, and even within the ROCOR, the nearest
          > "English-speaking" parish is too far away for me to attend conveniently
          > and talk to the priest. (I have fallen on very hard times and cannot
          > afford the gasoline.)
          >
          > Any thoughts on what approach someone who is now an outsider might
          > take in what seems to be a messy environment? Thanks.

          Dear Paul,

          I cannot give you advice on which parish to join. The important thing, in my
          opinion, is to recognise that this thought of returning to the Church is of
          God, therefore never to despair of finding a safe haven one day. In the
          meantime, do what you can at home, try and keep the feasts and fasts as well
          as you can with the books you've got. And keep reading the Holy Fathers. Then
          God will never abandon you.

          Vladimir Moss

        • rev mark gilstrap
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
            From: "Paul O. BARTLETT"
            To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>; <orthodox-forum@yahoogroups.com>

            > I speak only English, and even within the ROCOR, the nearest
            > "English-speaking" parish is too far away for me to attend conveniently
            > and talk to the priest. (I have fallen on very hard times and cannot
            > afford the gasoline.)
            >
            > Any thoughts on what approach someone who is now an outsider might
            > take in what seems to be a messy environment? Thanks.

            I see from your postings elsewhere that you may live in Vienna
            Va. The ROCA cathedral in Washington DC is not so far
            away, and there is at least one clergyman there who lives on
            your side of town - within 5 miles or so. I'm sure a ride can
            be arranged. Call the Cathedral at 202-726-3000 or go to
            www.stjohndc.org. The clergy at the cathedral speak English
            well

            pr Mark