Re: ROCIE Blast: "Melehovite Insanity: or The Hysteria of Bostonite Schismatic"

  • vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@skynet.be>
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2002
      Dear Father Alexander, bless.

      Below, you write:

      "However, by erroneously writing, in Slavonic/Russian, the last two
      words separately ("v kupe"), rather than together ("vkupe"), one
      gets: "Behold what is so good or so joyous as for brethren to dwell
      together in a **coup**"!" Which is, of course, where they are".

      Earlier, you had written (post 7132):

      "It is Western-minded scholastic, legalistic thinking that would
      cause one to imagine that a typo could get someone who is guilty of
      multiple transgressions "off the hook." Not so in Orthodoxy, where
      the **essence** of the matter is what counts. And the essence, here,
      is perfectly clear."

      Which is it, Father Alexander?

      Are you the person who quoted, about typos:

      "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and
      pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? (Matthew 7:2-4)

      Do you believe Vl Varnava was condemned for his typos, for his
      relation with deaconesses, for baptizing the dead, for involuntary
      murder or for not managing well an orphanage? What is the esence of
      this all? Is this the Love of Christ?

      In God,

      <lebedeff@w...> wrote:
      > Late-Breakaway News:
      >
      > Hieromonk Paisiy has published a lengthy blast at Fr. Victor
      Melehov (found
      > on the "Listok" site) at:
      >
      > http://www.listok.com/sobor186.htm
      >
      > (sorry, in Russian only, so far)
      >
      > It's actually quite fascinating.
      >
      > It begins with an epigraph: "The sin of schism is not washed away
      even by
      > martyr's blood" (St. John Chrysostom).
      >
      > Now, that's the pot calling the kettle black!
      >
      > The Mansonville schismatics accusing one of their own of being a
      schismatic!

      > Actually, that's not the only "hoot" that one can find among the
      ROCiE's sites.

      > The "Worldwide Directory" of ROCiE (in Russian) at:
      >
      > http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com/dioceseframeset.html
      >
      > contains a wonderfully revealing epigraph:
      >
      > "Se chto dobro ili chto krasno, no ezhe zhiti bratii v kupe [sic]
      (Psalm
      > 132:1)"
      >
      > which is supposed to be the Slavonic version of:
      >
      > ("Behold what is so good or so joyous as for brethren to dwell
      together in
      > unity!")
      >
      > However, by erroneously writing, in Slavonic/Russian, the last two
      words
      > separately ("v kupe"), rather than together ("vkupe"), one
      gets: "Behold
      > what is so good or so joyous as for brethren to dwell together in a
      **coup**"!"

      > Which is, of course, where they are.
      >
      > Even funnier would be the other reading of the erroneously split
      text:
      > "Behold what is so good or so joyous as for brethren to dwell
      together in a
      > coupe" (rather than a sedan)--and, actually, in Russian, the
      word "coupe"
      > means compartment in a train car.
      >
      > Well, we all know where **that** train is heading.
      >
      > Now, back to Paisy's "Blast."
      >
      > It begins:
      >
      > "The so-called "Appeal to the clergy and all the faithful Russian
      Orthodox
      > Church ", which was distributed on the Internet in two versions
      (Bishop
      > Varfolomej was even included in the first version against his
      wishes among
      > the priests: Victor Melehov, Joseph Sunderland, Spyridon Schneider,
      Andrew
      > Kencis, Mark Marcinowski and Mark Smith), and the second version
      was signed
      > only by Frs. Melehov and Sunderland, has really caused wide
      confusion and
      > shock among the faithful pastors and flock of the Russian Orthodox
      Church
      > Abroad under the omophorion of the Most Reverend Mitropolitan
      Vitaly.

      > This outrage against the Church and the feelings of the faithful of
      the
      > Church Abroad consists also in that this "document" illegally and
      in a
      > robber-like fashion appeared on the official electronic website of
      the
      > ROCOR(V) and immediately disappeared. Priest Andrew Kencis, who
      managed the
      > official website and who placed this document on it, has realized
      his
      > wrongful [act] and has corrected his "mistake". Certainly, after
      what
      > happened the question of his discharge from participation in
      technical
      > editing of the official website of the ROCOR(V) would have been
      resolved
      > very quickly by the hierarchy, if Fr. Andrew had not preferred
      voluntary
      > retirement, which, unfortunately, nevertheless shows his
      irresponsible
      > attitude to the obedience assigned to him by the Church Authority."
      >
      > I have no time to translate the entire document, but, briefly, it
      makes it
      > clear that Fr. Victor Melehov (called in the document "Brother
      Victor
      > Melehov," or, simply, "Melehov") is to be considered devoid of the
      > priesthood, since he had been lawfully deposed by the ROCOR years
      ago. (I
      > wonder how and why they accepted him, then?)
      >
      > This document also decries an "illegal" meeting in Worcester, Mass.
      called
      > by Fr. Melehov and an "illegal" liturgy that was served there.
      >
      > What is fascinating is that the document totally and deliberately
      ignores
      > the following facts:
      >
      > Bishop Bartholomew was actually at the meeting in Worcester and
      signed the
      > letter, later retracting his signature under threat of suspension.
      Bishop
      > Vladimir had been invited, but did not attend. In addition,
      the "illegal
      > concelebration" of the Liturgy was a hierarchical Divine Liturgy
      served by
      > Bp. Bartholomew!
      >
      > So--with the Ukaz of Bishop Vladimir regarding sanctions against
      Fr. Joseph
      > Sunderland, this "Blast" of Fr. Paisy against "Melehovite Insanity"
      and the
      > removal of Fr. Andrew Kencis from the duties of ROCiE webmaster,
      one sees
      > that further sanctions will probably occur, and the split in the
      ROCiE will
      > be made even greater.
      >
      > The "American/Canadian clergy" group of the ROCiE (which was the
      largest
      > part of the ROCiE on this continent)--are now bereft of their
      leadership,
      > and who knows where Frs. Melehov and Sunderland, Schneider, and the
      others
      > will go.
      >
      > Most fascinating of all is that all of the Canonical citations
      given by
      > Paisy in his Letter against those who would foment schism in the
      Church