Confessions

  • MM Ossorgin
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2002
      On 12/27/02 2:55 PM, "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote:

      > JRS: I think what should be said here, is that such a detailed
      > preparation for confession is needed, most of all, by those who feel
      > they "have no particular sins, are about the same as most people"-- a
      > thought one often hears from "cradle Orthodox".

      Father, bless.

      ..."cradle Orthodox.", what a grind! I define a true convert as a great
      movement of a person who abandons all previous faith practices and embraces
      Orthodoxy in its fullness. Orthodox, cradle or true converts, should feel,
      I hope, that our sins are our sins and nobody is to blame but ourselves. We
      are not so whimpy as to blame anyone else or giving them any criticism in
      providing us an opportunity for our sins, our faults or our responsibility
      before God.

      > Those who think "I'm no worse than others", might better begin with the
      > idea that "I'm no *better* than others". This is a much more helpful
      > beginning...

      I agree that it is better, but I also believe that no comparison should be
      made to anyone else in confession, you are on your own. We are created
      equally, and then we are on our own. We do not need to compare or qualify
      our sins to be forgiven any more or less. Father, do you agree?

      In Christ,

      Michael