Re: ROCE-An Appeal

  • vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@skynet.be>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2002
      Dear Father Alexander, bless.

      You wirte: "I would like Vladimir Kozyreff, Irina Pahlen, Serge Rust,
      and others who have been defending the departure of their clergy into
      the ROCiE (ROCOR/V)to read carefully the attached Appeal, written by
      the Chancellor of the ROCiE, Fr. Victor Melehov and by the ROCiE Dean
      of the West, Fr. Joseph Sunderland--who hold key roles in the ROCiE
      administration."

      I am deeply touched by you personal attention and I am grateful to
      you.

      Please remember that I have never been in favour of the departure of
      the clergy. It was imposed by what was perceived as the new path in
      the Church.

      I have repeatedly, with all my heart and my soul advocated
      reconciliation. I regret that the clergy have been excluded, because
      I think that they were right in many aspects. I think that it was
      wrong to demand from them a submission that was against their
      conscience and to give them impractical conditions.

      I feel that they have not created the schism, as I have explained in
      by the intransigence of those that have excluded them when they
      requested a judgement, as though their departure ("purification" in
      the words of MP's Father Michael Rahr) was the objective.

      I pray you, dear Father Alexander, to use whatever influence you may
      have to help the reconciliation. Our reunion is what Christ wants
      from us, before we talk about reunion with the MP. Shall we board the
      ship of sergianism and ecumenism, which is so clearly threatening our
      souls, and which you and Father John have advocated so well?

      We must board only a ship bound to the union in the Truth. This is
      the only way we can help the Church of Russia.

      In God,

      <lebedeff@w...> wrote:

> [...]
      Joseph
      > Sunderland--who hold key roles in the ROCiE administration.
      >
      > What they say confirms everything that the ROCOR has been saying
      all along:
      > that the elderly Metropolitan Vitaly is being taken advantage of by
      people
      > pursuing their own agendas.
      >
      > Isn't it time for you all to abandon the ship which your own key
      players
      > state "is presently without control and is being carried into a
      complete
      > fog to parts unknown"?
      >

      > With love in Christ,
      >
      > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

      > An Appeal to the Clergy and Faithful of the Russian Orthodox Church
      >
      > St. John Chrysostom
      > 13/26 November 2002
      >

      > Beloved in the Lord Vladikas, Fathers, Brothers and Sisters,
      >
      > With great grief, we are obliged to bear witness regarding the
      > catastrophic condition of our Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
      (Russian
      > Orthodox Church in Exile).
      >
      > A year has passed since the time of the dramatic events involving
      > Metropolitan Vitaly setting the soul-saving boundary with the
      > apostate false-brethren of the Synod of Archbishop Laurus. At that
      > time, the faithful children of the Russian Church Abroad responded
      > Metropolitan Vitaly's call, instructing all to stand firmly against
      > the disastrous apostate course of uniting with the Moscow
      > Patriarchate and other ecumenist churches. In spite of his forced
      > announcement regarding his retirement, which could only be confirmed
      > at a lawful Sobor of Bishops, Metropolitan Vitaly, seeing the
      > catastrophic situation of the Church and hearing the pleas of the
      > true pastors and faithful, resumed his leadership of the Russian
      > Church Abroad, and called all of the faithful under his omophor.
      >
      > Subsequently, the extra-ordinary Sobors held in November of 2001,
      > restored the hierarchy of the Russian Church Abroad, and witnessed
      > concerning their faithfulness to the true Orthodox confession of
      > Faith.
      >
      > The Sobor/Conference held in Mansonville, in December of 2001,
      turned
      > out to be a broader extra-ordinary Sobor of Bishops, which is
      clearly
      > confirmed by the signatures of all the hierarchs under its
      > resolutions. Here, a number of important decisions regarding the
      > confession of Faith and the canonical establishment of church life
      > were made. The resolution concerning the heretical ecclesiology of
      > Metropolitan Cyprian was accepted. The Church administration (ROCA-
      > ROCE) was organized. The Secretary and Treasurer were elected. The
      > Deans were appointed. All of the participants of this Sobor
      remember
      > the wonderful oneness of mind and soul which united all. In truth,
      > there was the Spirit of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic
      Church.

> [...]
      > First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad (under the present
      > circumstances, in fact, the First Hierarch of the Russian Church) on
      > Russian soil would have, indeed, been significant. Alas, this
      > opportunity was lost, and this historical event did not take place.
      >
      > Also, Archbishop Varnava and Archpriest Benjamin Joukov have
      impeded,
      > and continue to impede, the convening of a Sobor. They succeeded in
      > changing the date of the Sobor a total of three times. Finally, in
      > August, 2002, they insisted on the creation of a pre-Sobor
      committee,
      > the entire formation of which Archbishop Varnava took upon himself.
      > The committee's responsibility was to prepare for a Sobor. However,
      > now, three months later, even the date for the Sobor remains
      > unannounced, not to mention the agenda.
      >
      > Because a Sobor has not been convened for an entire year, our Church
      > finds itself in a situation of canonical uncertainty. In fact,
      there
      > is no Synod, nor any lawful hierarchical rule. Complete chaos
      reigns
      > in Russia. This state was only compounded over the last year with
      > the problems of Archbishop Lazar and Bishop Benjamin, which could
      > have been avoided by convening a lawful Sobor.
      >
      > However, the most serious problem is the wavering encountered
      > concerning issues requiring a confession of Faith. First and
      > foremost, this is in reference to the position taken by Archbishop
      > Varnava and the French clergy. The action of the Ukaze of November
      > 8, 2001, regarding the cessation of relations with Cyprian of Fili
      > (signed by all our hierarchs, including Archbishop Varnava) was
      > stopped on November 20, 2001, through the initiative of Archbishop
      > Varnava. Then, the resolution of the Mansonville Sobor with a
      > detailed conclusion concerning the heretical ecclesiology of Cyprian
      > was signed by all the hierarchs, including Archbishop Varnava.
      > However, certain clergy, who are active defenders of Cyprian's
      heresy
      > (i.e., Protodeacon German 13th) called this resolution the local
      > opinion of the Canadian clergy, and Archbishop Varnava's signature
      > was referred to as a "misunderstanding." To date, no comment or
      > correction regarding this statement has been made by Vladika
      > Varnava. Therefore, it remains unclear. With whom is Archbishop
      > Varnava in agreement, the protodeacon in his diocese, or the
      > hierarchs and clergy of the ROCA (ROCE)?
      >
      > Without an accurate confession of Faith, especially without a well-
      > grounded ecclesiological position, it becomes impossible to perceive
      > the reasons for Archbishop Laurus' schism. It becomes impossible to
      > correct all of the previous mistakes and deviations. Wavering on
      > such questions places the very existence of our Church as a part of
      > the Body of Christ in danger. Under such circumstances, how can one
      > begin to contemplate the rebirth and rebuilding of the Russian
      Church?