Iconoclastic bishop rapped

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2002
      BY THEIR FRUITS...

      International Herald Tribune

      Iconoclastic bishop rapped

      Kathimerini English Edition December 10, 2002

      As a steady queue of several thousand believers flocked yesterday to see
      what they believe is a miracle-working religious icon in Athens Cathedral,
      senior church officials traded accusations of idolatry and heresy in a
      quarrel reminiscent of the iconoclastic dispute that split the Byzantine
      Empire 12 centuries ago.
      .
      In an interview published yesterday, a senior bishop accused the Church of
      Greece of commercially exploiting the "paganistic, sick faith" of certain
      of its members by staging tours of icons and religious relics.
      .
      "When believers identify themselves with an icon, that is idolatry,"
      Theoklitos, Bishop of Ioannina, told Ta Nea daily. "And we bear
      responsibility for this, for we encourage idolatry by hawking around
      saints' relics to fill church collection boxes."
      .
      But Archbishop Christodoulos, on a visit to Mount Sinai in Egypt, said
      Theoklitos's comments smacked of Protestant doctrine ? which the Orthodox
      Church of Greece deplores as heresy. "Anyone who used isolated examples of
      excessive behavior to condemn adoration and remove icons from our faith and
      our Church would definitely be veering toward Protestantism," the church
      leader said.
      .
      Theoklitos singled out for criticism the case of the icon of Our Lady of
      Jerusalem, which was brought to Thessaloniki on October 16, on loan from
      the Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem, to mark the 1,950th anniversary of
      St Paul's visit to the city, and the 90th anniversary of Thessaloniki's
      liberation from the Turks.
      .
      After a 45-day stay ? during which it was visited by an estimated 2.5
      million pilgrims from Greece and neighboring Balkan countries ? the icon
      was sent to Athens on December 2 for 10 days. Since then, an estimated
      120,000 people have paid their respects to the icon in Athens Cathedral ?
      where it is displayed beside a prominent collection box.

      http://www.iht.com/articles/79794.html