Re: [orthodox-synod] Fw: A Big Moscow Clergy Family

  • larry most
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2002
      GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST - GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
      What a wonderful storey. My wife and I have 7 children (all but two are grown) and I would be happy to do it again. I know, living in the US that it is a lot easier, but nothing is more pleasing than a large family. People at work would tell me "all those kids" and I would just smile and say yes, I've been blessed.,
      Again a wonderful storey
      Love in Christ,
      Sub-deacon Larry
      rev mark gilstrap <fr.mark@...> wrote:

      header -----------------------
      > Sender: Orthodox Christianity <orthodox@...>
      > Poster: AA in O <oca1794@...>
      > Subject: A Big Moscow Clergy Family
      -----

      > Moscow Times
      > Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2002
      > 16 Children Keep This Mother Busy
      > By Yevgenia Borisova
      > Staff Writer
      >
      > To say Yelena Malevich has her hands full would be an understatement. The
      > 45-year-old wife of an Orthodox priest has 16 children and is already the
      > grandmother of five.
      >
      > "I worry so much for every single one of them. Happiness is when everyone
      is
      > at home and nothing bad happens to them," Malevich said, sitting on a
      couch
      > in her living room, her hands folded across her bulging belly. Children
      > raced in and out of the room, each trying to ask her something.
      >
      > Malevich, whose husband, Father Boris Malevich, is a priest at the
      Veshnyaki
      > Orthodox Church, is the mother of one of only three families with 16
      > children in Moscow -- and there are no bigger families, according to city
      > statistics.
      >
      > Having a large family was revered in Soviet times, and mothers with more
      > than four children are still awarded medals and financial support from the
      > government.
      > But generous state subsidies are long gone, and the number of big families
      > is rapidly dropping, said Lyubov Ishchuk of City Hall's family and youth
      > committee. The number of families in Moscow with three or more children
      has
      > fallen from 42,000 a decade ago to 19,000, she said. Only 90 families have
      > more than 10 children.
      >
      > As devout Orthodox Christians, the Malevichs don't practice birth control.
      > "God knows how many children each woman must have," Yelena Malevich said,
      > heaving a sigh. "It is never too many or too few. Some people, like us,
      will
      > get more. Some will not have any. There will be no overpopulation on the
      > Earth."
      >
      > But there will always seem to be a lack of money. Malevich's husband
      brings
      > home 2,000 rubles ($62) per month from his job at the church. The federal
      > government provides 70 rubles per month for each child under 16, while the
      > city of Moscow provides 120 rubles per child. To earn extra money, Boris
      > Malevich blesses apartments and offices and conducts funeral services. He
      is
      > rarely at home.
      > Yelena Malevich's father, a church painter, sometimes helps out with
      money,
      > and her other relatives give preserves. Sometimes the family gets
      assistance
      > from the church.
      >
      > "We have about 20 rubles per person per day for food," Malevich said.
      > She and her husband live with 12 children -- Slava, 2, Georgy 5, Galya, 6,
      > Dima, 9, Ilya, 12, Khristina, 13, Nadya, 14, Kirill, 16, Olga, 19,
      Marusya,
      > 21, Nastya, 22 -- in three connected apartments in a multilevel building
      on
      > Novokosinskaya Ulitsa, a half-hour drive east of the remote Vykhino metro
      > station.
      >
      > Their two oldest sons, Alexei, 26, and Filipp, 25, who are also priests,
      > share a two-room apartment with their wives and five sons in the same
      > building.
      >
      > The four apartments cover 170 square meters.
      >
      > Olga, Marusya and Nastya also work, while sons Gleb, 17, and Andrei, 18,
      are
      > at a seminary studying to be priests.
      >
      > Food is a constant struggle. Several large aluminum saucepans in the large
      > kitchen get filled and emptied at least three times a day as Yelena whips
      of
      > batches of rice, millet, buckwheat porridge, pasta, borshch and soup.
      Twice