[orthodox-synod] Re: nothing to do but guess

  • seraphim@orthodox.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 1999
      > I imagine few of you realize how many members there are on
      > this list! Care to guess?

      350?

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod
    • UDUT, KENNETH
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 1999
        Father, Bless!

        Not knowing you in person, and only from e-mail, nevertheless, I think you
        would
        fare well in a chat room. Depending how many people are on it at one time,
        it
        can be exillerating or exhausting, much like having a few people talk to you
        at
        once at coffee hour, but you're able to distinguish what each are saying.

        It might be a nice idea to set aside, just for starters, an hour a week
        where
        anyone who can should attempt to get together in the chat room feature.

        Then, as time goes on, introduce new 'official' times to meet, and over
        time,
        people will get used to the area and come in on their own times.

        Chat rooms make it easier to get to know people better - they're more likely
        open up and 'ease up' after a few minutes typing in real-time to each other,

        than with a mailing list which tends to be archived - very little difference
        being published in the op-ed section of a magazine.

        Nothing substitutes for being in person, but the Internet does make it
        easier to
        'make do'.

        Just my two cents.

        Oh, and a P.S. - I would haphazard a guess that there are 947.3 subscribers
        the orthodox-synod mailing list :)

        -Kenneth
        listowner of orthpoem and orthhymn @ egroups.com

        _________________________________
        Subject: [orthodox-synod] nothing to do but guess
        Author: "Rev Mark Gilstrap" [SMTP:gilstrap@...] at S-P_EXHUB_AM
        Date: 06/04/1999 10:28 PM

        Dear orthodox-synod subscribers,

        If you are reading this posting from me, you are a member of
        the orthodox-synod list - at the *new* address. You don't
        have to do anything to join. If you were a member at the
        old address, you are a member still. This is just a(nother)
        change of address (as the welcome message explains) - hopefully
        the last such change of address.

        To post to the synod list just reply to this e-mail, or
        compose a new message addressed to:

        orthodox-synod@egroups.com

        Don't use the old address of orthodox-synod@...

        This new egroups host will archive the list postings at a
        web site. For security reasons (to help protect against
        spam, spoofing and other undesirable fallout from public
        display of your addresses) the archive is readable only
        if you are a member of this list - which you are... so go
        to www.egroups.com and see how it works.

        If it helps you get familar with the way egroups works,
        feel free to chime in with an "I'm here" message at this new
        address.

        I imagine few of you realize how many members there are on
        this list! Care to guess?

        There appears to be a "chat" function associated with this
        egroups host. Anyone know how that works? Want to make a
        suggestion as to when people who desire to communicate (inter-
        actively in real time) should show up? Suggest a topic? I
        have been using various modes of digital communication for
        nearly 20 years now, but I don't think I have ever ventured
        into a chat room. Dare I?

        Priest Mark Gilstrap
        owner-orthodox@...

        What's everyone looking at? Check out the Top40 most requested stocks!
        Plus quotes, charts, news, portfolios, mutual funds, and discussion.
        All free, fast, and easy. Visit: http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/237