Re: [orthodox-synod] Rosca de Reyes - Three Kings Br ead, from México

  • Diane Sieckmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      I had no problem.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: StephenATL
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 10:59 AM
      Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Rosca de Reyes - Three Kings Bread, from México

      Bless, Father:

      That is strange. In your reply to me, even going through Yahoo's
      filter, the characters appeared correctly.

      Perhaps you are using an old e-mail program that supports only 'plain
      text' e-mail. Netscape Mail (from Netscape 7 and Netscape 4.75) and
      Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express are fully html and Unicode
      supportable. People need to update their e-mail programs.
      'Plain-text' e-mail programs are really 'antique'; they will not
      display 'bold', 'italics', 'underlining' and many characters, etc.
      Assuming the large amount of computing you do, I assumed that you had an
      up-to-date e-mail program; most likely it is the settings in your
      program that need adjusting.

      I sent the recipes in html and plain text format. (I had cut and
      pasted the recipes from my recipe cards into the e-mails. I guess I
      need to 're-type' the fractions.) I sent the 'Fasting recipes' in
      'unicode' encoding, so all the characters would show up correctly. I
      am very careful to send e-mails in the proper encoding: Greek, Western,
      Russian or Unicode...... so that all characters will show up correctly.
      Unicode is slowly becoming the standard for all e-mail and web page
      encoding, because it will display correctly all characters from all
      alphabets on the same page. Using the old encodings, one could only
      display Western European language text on the same page; only Greek and
      English; only Russian and English...... respectively. Now with
      Unicode encoding, one can display English, Spanish, Greek and Russian
      all on the same page...... and they will show up correctly.

      Were the Greek characters showing up correctly? I sent those recipes
      with Greek characters either in Greek ISO-8859-7 encoding or in Unicode
      encoding. It could also be that you have an old edition of the
      'default' font you are using for your e-mail program which may lack the
      fractions and/or unicode characters. Your e-mail program may also be
      set to reject all encoding except 'Western' encoding. Thus, it may be
      displaying all e-mails in Western encoding, no matter what encoding they
      were sent in.

      I will try to 're-type' fractions on any new recipes I may send......

      Stephanos

      P.S. Sorry to those who the bread recipes may make their mouths
      water. I sent them early so one can plan ahead. I also send along
      a few of my favorite 'fasting' recipes.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor