Re: [orthodox-synod] Rosca de Reyes - Three Kings Bread, from México

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      Dear Stephen,

      Sorry to tell you, but your recipies are coming out unusable, since you are
      using special characters for 1/2 and 1/3 and 1/4--which do not format
      correctly in most email programs.

      You really need to write them out: 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4, etc.

      Otherwise, great stuff--except it makes our mouths water during Lent.

      >ROSCA DE REYES
      >THREE KINGS BREAD (from México)
      >
      >3¼ - 3¾ cups Plain Flour
      >1 pkg. dry yeast
      >2/3 cup Milk
      >1/3 cup Butter
      >1/3 cup sugar
      >¼ tsp. salt
      >2 eggs
      >
      >Filling:
      >2 tbl. Butter
      >2 tbl. Sugar
      >½ tsp. cinnamon
      >½ cup toasted slivered almonds
      >½ cup golden raisins & dates
      >2-3 tbls. orange peel
      >
      >" Combine 1½ cups of the flour and yeast in mixer bowl. Heat milk, 1/3
      >cup butter, sugar and salt until just warm (120°- 130°), and butter
      >almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat a
      >low speed for 30 seconds, and then at high speed for 3 mins. Add as much
      >remaining flour as possible. (OVER?)
      >? Knead dough on floured surface for 3-5 minutes until smooth and
      >elastic. Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover, let rise
      >until double. Punch dough down, turn out onto floured surface. Cover and
      >let rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough into a 20x12 inch rectangle. Brush
      >w/ the 2 tbls. melted butter. Combine filling ingredients, toss to mix
      >well. Sprinkle over dough. Roll dough up, jelly-roll style, starting
      >from a long side. Pinch seams to seal. Bring ends together to form a
      >ring. Place dough seem side down on a greased baking sheet. Moisten and
      >pinch ends together to seal. Make cuts at 1½ intervals around edge of
      >ring. Cover, let rise until double.
      >? Bake at 350°, about 30 mins. Cool. Drizzle icing over ring (1 c.
      >powdered sugar, ¼ tsp. vanilla, 1-2 tbls. milk). Decorate with sliced
      >almonds and candied orange rind and cherries. (Creating poinsettia designs)

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff