Rosca de Reyes - Three Kings Bread, from México

  • StephenATL
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      ROSCA DE REYES
      THREE KINGS BREAD (from México)

      3¼ - 3¾ cups Plain Flour
      1 pkg. dry yeast
      2/3 cup Milk
      1/3 cup Butter
      1/3 cup sugar
      ¼ tsp. salt
      2 eggs

      Filling:
      2 tbl. Butter
      2 tbl. Sugar
      ½ tsp. cinnamon
      ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
      ½ cup golden raisins & dates
      2-3 tbls. orange peel

      " Combine 1½ cups of the flour and yeast in mixer bowl. Heat milk, 1/3
      cup butter, sugar and salt until just warm (120°- 130°), and butter
      almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat a
      low speed for 30 seconds, and then at high speed for 3 mins. Add as much
      remaining flour as possible. (OVER?)
      ? Knead dough on floured surface for 3-5 minutes until smooth and
      elastic. Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover, let rise
      until double. Punch dough down, turn out onto floured surface. Cover and
      let rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough into a 20x12 inch rectangle. Brush
      w/ the 2 tbls. melted butter. Combine filling ingredients, toss to mix
      well. Sprinkle over dough. Roll dough up, jelly-roll style, starting
      from a long side. Pinch seams to seal. Bring ends together to form a
      ring. Place dough seem side down on a greased baking sheet. Moisten and
      pinch ends together to seal. Make cuts at 1½ intervals around edge of
      ring. Cover, let rise until double.
      ? Bake at 350°, about 30 mins. Cool. Drizzle icing over ring (1 c.
      powdered sugar, ¼ tsp. vanilla, 1-2 tbls. milk). Decorate with sliced
      almonds and candied orange rind and cherries. (Creating poinsettia designs)
    • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        Dear Stephen,

        Sorry to tell you, but your recipies are coming out unusable, since you are
        using special characters for 1/2 and 1/3 and 1/4--which do not format
        correctly in most email programs.

        You really need to write them out: 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4, etc.

        Otherwise, great stuff--except it makes our mouths water during Lent.

        >ROSCA DE REYES
        >THREE KINGS BREAD (from México)
        >
        >3¼ - 3¾ cups Plain Flour
        >1 pkg. dry yeast
        >2/3 cup Milk
        >1/3 cup Butter
        >1/3 cup sugar
        >¼ tsp. salt
        >2 eggs
        >
        >Filling:
        >2 tbl. Butter
        >2 tbl. Sugar
        >½ tsp. cinnamon
        >½ cup toasted slivered almonds
        >½ cup golden raisins & dates
        >2-3 tbls. orange peel
        >
        >" Combine 1½ cups of the flour and yeast in mixer bowl. Heat milk, 1/3
        >cup butter, sugar and salt until just warm (120°- 130°), and butter
        >almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat a
        >low speed for 30 seconds, and then at high speed for 3 mins. Add as much
        >remaining flour as possible. (OVER?)
        >? Knead dough on floured surface for 3-5 minutes until smooth and
        >elastic. Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover, let rise
        >until double. Punch dough down, turn out onto floured surface. Cover and
        >let rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough into a 20x12 inch rectangle. Brush
        >w/ the 2 tbls. melted butter. Combine filling ingredients, toss to mix
        >well. Sprinkle over dough. Roll dough up, jelly-roll style, starting
        >from a long side. Pinch seams to seal. Bring ends together to form a
        >ring. Place dough seem side down on a greased baking sheet. Moisten and
        >pinch ends together to seal. Make cuts at 1½ intervals around edge of
        >ring. Cover, let rise until double.
        >? Bake at 350°, about 30 mins. Cool. Drizzle icing over ring (1 c.
        >powdered sugar, ¼ tsp. vanilla, 1-2 tbls. milk). Decorate with sliced
        >almonds and candied orange rind and cherries. (Creating poinsettia designs)

        With love in Christ,

        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff