Stollen - From Germany
- STOLLEN - GERMAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup dates
¼ cup Napoleon cognac
6½ cups plain flour
1 cup sugar
2 pkgs. yeast
1 cup milk
¼ cup water
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup butter (1½ sticks)
8 oz. can almond filling
2 large eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
1½ cup slivered almonds
¾ cup butter, melted (1½ sticks)
Sliced almonds, Powdered sugar
1. Combine raisins, dates and cognac in a sauce pan and heat to boiling;
remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
2. Combine yeast, ¼ cup warm water and 1 tbl. sugar; dissolve and mix
well. Set aside in warm area.
3. Heat milk, water and ¾ butter until very warm.
4. Combine 2 cups flour, ¾ cup sugar and the salt. Mix well. Slowly
blend in milk mixture. Add yeast and mix well. Beat in almond filling,
eggs, almond extract and 1 cup flour. Add raisins and slivered almonds.
Add enough remaining flour to form a dough that is not sticky. Knead 15
minutes. Let rise 1-2 hours, depending on yeast directions.
5. Punch dough down, divide in half; cover one half. Roll remaining half
into a 16x10x½ rectangle. Brush surface w/ melted butter. Fold one long
side to center. Brush again w/butter. Fold other side 2/3 over first
side. Tuck ends under and seal; press down on ends and shape into a
rounded point. Brush entire surface w/ butter.
6. Place loaf on greased baking sheet. Repeat process w/ remaining
dough. Cover both loaves w/towels and let rise. Bake at 350? until
golden brown, 40-50 mins. Place loaves on wire racks over baking sheets.
Using toothpick, punch holes all over loaves. Brush w/remaining butter,
sprinkle well with powered sugar and decorate w/slivered almonds. Cool
completely, wrap well and store. Yield: two large loaves.