Planning Ahead..............

  • StephenATL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      I know it is early, but those who cook a lot, especially on the
      Holidays, know that it is wise to plan ahead. I offer this to those who
      may be interested............ (Is there a Russian Christmas Bread?)

      Χριστόψωμο - Christo'psomo (Christ's Bread)
      Greek Christmas Bread
      2 pkg. Dry Yeast
      2 cups Scalded Milk
      1 cup Sugar, 1 tsp. Salt
      4 Eggs
      ½ cup Butter, melted & cooled
      7-8 cups Flour
      1½ tsp. Cardamom (or 1 tsp. Mastic)
      ½ cup Golden Raisins
      3/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
      1 Egg (for wash)

      Dissolve yeast with 1 cup scalded milk and 1 tbl. sugar, allow to
      double. (Pound mastic with 2 tbl. sugar, if using.) Blend sugar, eggs,
      salt, remaining milk and butter; mix well. Place flour in mixer bowl,
      stir in cardamom (or mastic) blend. Make a well and add yeast, egg
      mixture, raisins and nuts; mix well. Knead dough for 10-15 minutes in
      mixer. Add remaining flour as required. Remove dough, knead until
      smooth. Place in a oiled bowl, turn dough to completely coat. Cover,
      allow to rise in warm place until double.

      Punch down. Knead lightly. Shape into two round loaves and place into
      buttered 10 inch spring-form pans. Cover and let double in bulk. Bake at
      375° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle
      with sugar and/or sesame seeds. Return to oven. Lower temperature to
      325° and bake about 35-40 minutes until golden brown.