Learning Russian..........

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      W/o a doubt, try the Pimsleur CDs... they are great for French and I have
      heard the Russian pronunciation and it is very good.

      Off the top of my head, it is hard to think of one comprehensive source.
      Try to get any text books by Frank Miller, a Columbia professor. I think he
      wrote a grammar and also a verbs or verbs of motion book. He was a very
      good prof.

      Hristofor

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
        > W/o a doubt, try the Pimsleur CDs... they are great for French and I
        have
        > heard the Russian pronunciation and it is very good.

        A very good source for Russian pronunciation is one of the cheapest and
        most available sets of recordings: the "Living Language" series. These
        recordings were originally made years ago, so the speakers give an "old
        school" Russian that is both clear and elegant.

        The Pimsleur approach is purely "audio", at least in their recordings
        for Modern Greek. The "Living Language" tapes are all coordinated with
        printed texts, so that the eye and ear are trained at the same time.

        > Try to get any text books by Frank Miller, a Columbia professor. I
        think he
        > wrote a grammar and also a verbs or verbs of motion book. He was a
        very
        > good prof.

        No doubt. However, materials by native speakers are usually more
        helpful, since the Russian in them is not that of a foreigner who
        learned the language, however well.