Learning Russian..........

  • StephenATL
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2002
      Dear All,

      Good Fast!

      I am looking for the BEST, very comprehensive introductory textbook to
      the Russian language now available. I am looking for a textbook that
      explains the grammar very thoroughly, has excellent reading and grammar
      exercises, etc. I am also looking for the BEST Russian language
      CD-ROM that would help me with pronunciation, grammar exercises, etc.

      I am already fluent in three languages (English, Spanish and Modern
      Greek) and fairly good in German and Classical Greek as well. In
      addition, I can already read Russian, know quite a few words, and can
      even read texts written in Russian and at least grasp what the text is
      referring to. Basically, I just need a through study in Russian
      grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation.

      If anyone can recommend to me an excellent textbook and CD-ROM from
      which I can further my Russian language studies I will be very grateful!
      (also, from where I can obtain such materials)

      in ICXC,
      Stephanos
      least among sinners
    • Hristofor
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
        W/o a doubt, try the Pimsleur CDs... they are great for French and I have
        heard the Russian pronunciation and it is very good.

        Off the top of my head, it is hard to think of one comprehensive source.
        Try to get any text books by Frank Miller, a Columbia professor. I think he
        wrote a grammar and also a verbs or verbs of motion book. He was a very
        good prof.

        Hristofor

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
          > W/o a doubt, try the Pimsleur CDs... they are great for French and I
          have
          > heard the Russian pronunciation and it is very good.

          A very good source for Russian pronunciation is one of the cheapest and
          most available sets of recordings: the "Living Language" series. These
          recordings were originally made years ago, so the speakers give an "old
          school" Russian that is both clear and elegant.

          The Pimsleur approach is purely "audio", at least in their recordings
          for Modern Greek. The "Living Language" tapes are all coordinated with
          printed texts, so that the eye and ear are trained at the same time.

          > Try to get any text books by Frank Miller, a Columbia professor. I
          think he
          > wrote a grammar and also a verbs or verbs of motion book. He was a
          very
          > good prof.

          No doubt. However, materials by native speakers are usually more
          helpful, since the Russian in them is not that of a foreigner who
          learned the language, however well.