  • goossir
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29 3:36 AM
      The Infamous Declaration of Metropolitan Sergius, issued on July
      16|29, 1927, gave a profound shock to the entire Russian Orthodox
      world. From every corner of the Russian land there resounded the
      voices of protest of clergy and laymen. A mass of "Epistles" was
      sent to Metropolitan Sergius, and copies of them were sent
      throughout the land. The authors of these "Epistles" implored
      Metropolitan Sergius to renounce the ruinous path he had chosen.
      After a whole torrent of such "Epistles" of protest, an unending
      file of delegations began to stream to Metropolitan Sergius in
      One of such countless delegations was the historic Delegation of the
      Petrograd Diocese, which came to Moscow on November 27, 1927, being
      composed of the following members: His Grace Dimitry Liubimov,
      Bishop of Gdov (Vicar of the Petrograd Diocese), Archpriest Victorin
      Dobronravov, Prof. I. M. Andreev (myself), and C. A. Alexeev. Bishop
      Dimitry represented Metropolitan Joseph of Petrograd and had with
      him a long letter that had been signed by seven bishops who were in
      Petrograd (among whom, besides Metropolitan Joseph and Bishop
      Dimitry, were Bp. Gabriel, Bp. Stephen, and Bp. Sergius of Narva).
      Archpriest Dobronravov represented a numerous group of Petrograd
      clergy and had with him a letter from them, which was signed by
      Archpriest Professor F. K. Andreev. I represented the academic
      circles and brought a letter from a group of academicians and
      professors of the Academy of Sciences, the University, and other
      higher institutions of learning; the letter had been composed by
      Professor S. S. Abramovich-Baranovsky (formerly of the Academy of
      Military Jurisprudence) and Professor M. A. Novoselovy (the well-
      known publisher and editor of the "Library of Religion and Monks,"
      who was then secretly living in Petrograd and Moscow). S. A. Alexeev
      represented the broad masses of the people.
      Despite the fact that the Petrograd Delegation came to Moscow after
      many other delegations that had come with the same purpose, it was
      received without waiting its turn. The Delegation's interview with
      Metropolitan Sergius lasted for two hours.
      After going to Metropolitan Sergius, all members of the Delegation
      went up to him to receive his blessing, introduced themselves and
      testified that they had come as faithful children of the Orthodox
      When Metropolitan Sergius had finished reading the letters that had
      been brought to him (from the episcopate, from the clergy, and from
      the laity), Bishop Dimitry, who was 70 years old, fell to his knees
      before him and exclaimed in tears: "Vladika! Listen to us, in the
      name of Christ!"
      Metropolitan Sergius immediately raised him up from his knees,
      seated him in an armchair, and said in a firm and somewhat irritated
      voice: "What is there to listen to? Everything you have written has
      been written by others earlier, and to all this I have already
      replied many times clearly and definitely. What remains unclear to
      "Vladika!" began Bishop Dimitry in a trembling voice with copious
      tears—"At the time of my consecration you told me that I should be
      faithful to the Orthodox Church and, in case of necessity, that I
      should be prepared to lay down my own life as well for Christ. And
      now such a time of confession has come and I wish to suffer for
      Christ; but you, by your Declaration, instead of a path to Golgotha
      propose that we stand on the path of collaboration with a God-
      fighting regime that persecutes and blasphemes Christ; you propose
      that we rejoice with its joys and sorrow with its sorrows… Our
      rulers strive to annihilate religion and the Church and rejoice at
      the destruction of churches, rejoice at the successes of their anti-
      religious propaganda. This joy of theirs is the source of our sorrow.
      You propose that we thank the Soviet government for its attention to
      the needs of the Orthodox population. But how is that attention
      expressed? In the murder of hundreds of bishops, thousands of
      priests, and millions of faithful. In the defilement of holy things,
      the mockery of relics, in the destruction of an immense number of
      churches and the annihilation of all monasteries. Surely it would be
      better if they did not give us such 'attention!'"
      "Our government" — Metropolitan Sergius suddenly interrupted Bp.
      Dimitry — "has persecuted the clergy only for political crimes."
      "That is a slander!" Bishop Dimitry cried out heatedly.
      "We wish to obtain a reconciliation of the Orthodox Church with the
      governing regime," Metropolitan Sergius continued with
      irritation, "While you are striving to underline the counter-
      revolutionary character of the Church… Consequently, you are counter-
      revolutionaries, whereas we are entirely loyal to the Soviet regime!"
      "That is not true!" exclaimed Bishop Dimitry heatedly. "That is
      another slander against the confessors, martyrs, and those who have
      been shot and those who are languishing in concentration camps and
      in banishment… What counter-revolutionary act did the executed
      Metropolitan Benjamin perform? In what lies the 'counter-revolution'
      in the position of Metropolitan Peter of Krutitsk?!"
      "And the Sobor of Karlovtsy, in your opinion, also did not have a
      political character?" Metropolitan Sergius interrupted him again.
      "There was no Sobor of Karlovtsy in Russia," Bishop Dimitry replied
      quietly, "and many martyrs in the concentration camps knew nothing
      of this Sobor."
      "I personally," continued Bishop Dimitry, "am a completely
      apolitical man, and if I myself had to accuse myself to the GPU, I
      couldn't imagine anything of which I am guilty before the Soviet
      regime. I only sorrow and grieve, seeing the persecution against
      religion and the Church. We pastors are forbidden to speak of this,
      and we are silent. But to the question whether there is any
      persecution against religion and the Church in the USSR, I could not
      reply otherwise than affirmative! When they proposed to you,
      Vladika, to write your Declaration, why did you not reply like
      Metropolitan Peter, that you can keep silence, but cannot say what
      is untrue?"
      "And where is the untruth?" exclaimed Metropolitan Sergius.
      "In the fact," replied Bishop Dimitry "that persecution against
      religion, the 'opium of the people' according to the Marxist dogma,
      not only exists among us, but in its cruelty, cynicism, and
      blasphemy has passed all limits!"
      "Well, we are fighting with this," remarked Metropolitan
      Sergius, "but we are fighting legally, and not like counter-
      revolutionaries… And when we shall have demonstrated our completely
      loyal position with regard to the Soviet regime, the results will be
      even more noticeable. Probably we will be able, as a counterbalance
      to the Atheist, to publish our own little religious journal…"
      "You have forgotten, Vladika," remarked Archpriest
      Dobronravov, "that the Church is the Body of Christ, and not a
      consistory with a 'little journal' under the censorship of an
      atheist regime!"
      "It is not our political, but our religious conscience that does not
      permit us to join ourselves to your Declaration," I noted.
      "I wish to suffer for Christ, and you propose that we renounce Him,"
      said C. A. Alexeev with bitterness.
      "And so you want a schism?!" Metropolitan Sergius asked
      "Do not forget that the sin of schism is not washed away even by the
      blood of martyrdom! The majority is in agreement with me," he added
      "Voices must be weighed, not counted, Vladika," I objected. "After
      all, Metropolitan Peter, the lawful Locum Tenens of the Patriarchal
      Throne, is
      not in agreement with you; nor are Metropolitans Agathangel, Cyril,
      and Joseph; nor such lamps as Metropolitan Arsenius, Archbishop
      Seraphim of Uglich, Archbishop Pachomius, Bishops Victor, Damaskin,
      Avericus, and many others; nor the Elders of Optina, nor the
      prisoners of Solovki…"
      "Truth is not always where the majority is," remarked Archpriest
      Dobronravov; "otherwise the Saviour would not have spoken of
      the 'little flock.' And the head of a Church has not always turned
      out to be on the side of Truth. It is sufficient to recall the time
      of Maximus the Confessor."
      "By my new church policy I am saving the Church," Metropolitan
      Sergius replied deliberately.
      "What are you saying, Vladika!" all members of the Delegation
      exclaimed with one voice. "The Church does not have need of
      salvation," added Archpriest Dobronravov; "the gates of hell shall
      no prevail against it. You yourself, Vladika, have need of salvation
      through the Church."
      "I meant that in a different sense," replied Metropolitan Sergius,
      somewhat disconcerted.
      "And why, Vladika, did you order that a prayer for the regime be
      introduced into the Liturgy, while a the same time you forbade
      prayer for 'those in prisons and in banishment?'" I asked.
      "Do I really have to remind you of the well-known text of the
      Apostle Paul concerning the authorities?" Metropolitan Sergius asked
      with irony.
      "And as for the prayer for 'those in banishment,' many deacons make
      a demonstration out of this."
      "And then, Vladika, will you change the Beatitudes in the Liturgy?"
      I again objected; "after all, one can make a demonstration out of
      them, too."
      "I am not altering the Liturgy," Metropolitan Sergius said dryly.
      "And who needs the prayer for the regime? Certainly the atheist
      Soviet regime does not need it. And believers could pray only in the
      sense of the entreaty 'for the softening of the hard hearts of our
      rulers,' or 'for the enlightenment of those in error.' But to pray
      for an anti-Christian regime is impossible."
      "Really!—What kind of Antichrist do you find here?" replied Metr.
      Sergius with a disdainful gesture of the hand.
      "But the spirit is precisely that of Antichrist," I insisted. "And
      what called for this prayer? Did they force you to introduce this
      "Well, I myself found it necessary."
      "No, Vladika, answer as before God, from the depths of your
      archpastoral conscience: did they force you to do this, as with much
      else in your 'new church policy,' or not?"
      This question had to be repeated stubbornly and persistently many
      times, before Metr. Sergius finally replied: "Well, so they press
      one, and force one—but I myself think that way, too," he concluded
      hastily and fearfully.
      "And why, Vladika, did you order that right after the name of Metr.
      Peter your own name be commemorated? We have heard that this also
      was ordered from higher up, with the intention of soon omitting the
      name of Metr. Peter altogether." Metr. Sergius did not reply to this
      (In 1936 the commemoration of Metr. Peter, who died in 1937 or 1938,
      was prohibited).
      "And who appointed your 'Temporary Patriarchal Synod?' And who has
      occupied himself with the appointment and transference of bishops?
      Why was Metr. Joseph (of Petrograd) removed against the wishes of
      his flock? We know, Vladika, that all this is done by the
      unofficial 'ober-procurator' of your Synod, the Communist secret
      police agent Tuchkov, against your wishes."
      "Where did you take all that from?" Metr. Sergius asked, somewhat
      "Everyone knows it, Vladika."
      "And with whom have you surrounded yourself, Vladika?" added
      Archpriest Dobronravov. "The very name of Bishop (later 'Patriarch')
      Alexei Simansky is enough to discredit your whole Synod."
      Metropolitan Sergius stood up and said that he would think about
      everything we had said and give a short written reply in three days.
      The audience was finished. In three days Metr. Sergius gave a
      written reply, repeating in general and nebulous expressions the
      theses of his Declaration.
      The delegation returned to Petrograd. And in a short time a schism
      occurred. To those who broke off communion with Metr. Sergius, the
      latter replied by interdictions; the organs of the secret police
      cynically helped him.
      The members of the Petrograd Delegation were soon arrested and
      suffered terribly. The aged Bp. Dimitry was put in the Yaroslavl
      political isolation ward for ten years, and then was shot.
      Archpriest Dobronravov was sent to a Siberian concentration camp for
      ten years, and then was sentenced to ten more years, without right
      of correspondence. I was sent to the concentration camp at Solovki.
      S. A. Alexeev, after becoming a priest, was shot.
      The true Russian Orthodox Church went into the catacombs, where it
      remains to the present day as an invisible city of Kitezh,
      preserving itself as the unspotted Bride of Christ.