Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: The Orthodox Episcopate of the Russian persecuted Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2002
      Fr. Alexander Lebedeff quoted:

      the Protocol of the Sobor of Bishops of the Russian
      > Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, dated August 16, 1938:
      >
      > "There was DISCUSSION about concelebration with clergy found in the
      > jurisdiction of Metropolitan Sergius and his Synod.
      > "METROPOLITAN ANASTASSY points out that clergy who arrive from Russia
      who
      > had been part of the named jurisdiction are immediately allowed into
      > prayerful communion, and he brings up the opinion of Metropolitan
      Kyrill,
      > found in his Epistle printed in "Church Life," that the sin of
      Metropolitan
      > Sergius does not extend to the clergy subordinate to him.
      >
      > "IT WAS RESOLVED: To recognize that there are no obstacles to
      prayerful
      > communion and concelebration with the clergy of Metropolitan Sergius."

      The crucial point here (to my mind) is the following:

      Was there, in fact, *ever* a specific and formal, Sobor decision of the
      Church Abroad, subsequent to the above, to cease and break off
      communion with the Moscow Patriarchate?

      It seems to me that, if there was never such an official break, then
      the present lack of eucharistic concelebration is only de-facto, and
      not de jure.

      If there was a later, *official* break, then of course that break and
      the circumstances surrounding it would be the point that most needs to
      be studied. The words of Metropolitan Anastassy's Spiritual Testament
      do not have the authority of a Church council; they were merely his own
      parting words. And even they were only conditional: "So long as..."