Mt. Athos & Holy Land

  • Father Dmitry
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2002
      Sat. Nov. 10th (Orth. cal) <3rd watch> M. Constantine, Prince of
      Kartli/ GM George [303]

      Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

      Perhaps someone could help me with these related/unrelated
      (?) questions;

      1. The Orthodox Palestinian Society, is there just one such
      entity? Is there another, perhaps with a similar name ( or a
      counterfeit, or rival, or ally ) operating out of Russia? Did I just
      dream this?

      2. Is there still a Grabbe "dynasty"? Are there any of them
      ("...Grabbes, that is") still around?

      3. On the status of Holy Land monasteries, . . . Has anything
      changed since m. Maria's (Stephanopoulos) desperate epistles
      and the Hebron incident?

      4. Is Abbess Juliana, and Convent, still in the Synod of Rocor?

      5. On the Holy Mountain, besides the Monastery of
      St.Panteleimon and the Skete of the Prophet Elias, are there any
      other sketes or monasteries , which are "Russian" Orthodox?
      Can, say, a Synod (us) priest or layman, travelling to Mt. Athos,
      expect to receive hospitality and welcome at St. Panteleimon's or
      Pr. Elias? Are Russians welcomed, or are we treated as second
      class pilgrims, in general, on the Mountain?

      6. Can anybody tell me where I could find one of those poster/
      prints of The Skete of Prophet Elias [ 19th cent. - color - approx
      2' x 3']?

      Thank you,

      In Christ,
      sinful, unworthy
      priest Dmitry Wieber
      La Iglesia Russa Ortodoxa de Santa Juliana de Lazarevo
      El Ciudad de Santa Fe, La Provincia ( please, believe me) de
      Nuevo Mexico
    • VladMoss@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2002
        frdmitry@... writes:

        > 4. Is Abbess Juliana, and Convent, still in the Synod of Rocor?

        I believe she is with Metropolitan Vitaly.

        > 5. On the Holy Mountain, besides the Monastery of
        > St.Panteleimon and the Skete of the Prophet Elias, are there any
        > other sketes or monasteries , which are "Russian" Orthodox?
        > Can, say, a Synod (us) priest or layman, travelling to Mt. Athos,
        > expect to receive hospitality and welcome at St. Panteleimon's or
        > Pr. Elias? Are Russians welcomed, or are we treated as second
        > class pilgrims, in general, on the Mountain?

        Our priest, who is with Metropolitan Valentine, was received at Esphigmenou
        (Chrysostomite) and the Skete of St. Basil (Kallinikite). There is no
        chauvinism there.

        Vladimir Moss

      • Nicolas de Brevern
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2002
            priest Dmitry Wieber wrote:

            > Sat. Nov. 10th (Orth. cal) <3rd watch> M. Constantine, Prince of
            > Kartli/ GM George [303]

            > Perhaps someone could help me with these related/unrelated
            > (?) questions;
            >
            > 1. The Orthodox Palestinian Society, is there just one such
            > entity? Is there another, perhaps with a similar name ( or a
            > counterfeit, or rival, or ally ) operating out of Russia? Did I just
            > dream this?

            I believe there are now three (3) such: one under ROCOR, another under
            the MP, and yet a third, headed by Bishop Anthony Grabbe, which was
            independant after 1986, but now, I believe is with ROAC.

            > 2. Is there still a Grabbe "dynasty"? Are there any of them
            > ("...Grabbes, that is") still around?

            There are still family members, yes. But they no longer have the role
            they formerly did in ROCOR.

            > 3. On the status of Holy Land monasteries, . . . Has anything
            > changed since m. Maria's (Stephanopoulos) desperate epistles
            > and the Hebron incident?
            >
            > 4. Is Abbess Juliana, and Convent, still in the Synod of Rocor?

            No.

            > 5. On the Holy Mountain, besides the Monastery of
            > St.Panteleimon and the Skete of the Prophet Elias, are there any
            > other sketes or monasteries , which are "Russian" Orthodox?

            The Skete of the Prophet Elias was taken away from the Russian Orthodox
            about 10 years ago. It was looted, and taken over by a group of Greek
            monks.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            CoreComm Webmail.
            http://home.core.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 23, 2002
              Dear Father Dmitry,

              Let me respond to question #5, as it is the one I am most certain of, having
              been to Mt. Athos in 1999, accompanying a Synod priest and a Synod Russian
              layman. I myself belong to the Serbian Church but very frequently attend
              Synod churches. The answer is we were treated very well at all the
              monasteries we visited. Mainly they were St. Panteleimon, Iveron (Greek) and
              Hilandar (Serbian). Father was received very well and courteously at St.
              Panteleimon (in fact there was a bishop from Russia serving who invited him
              to the head table, if I am not mistaken). Our lay co-pilgrim confessed and
              received Communion there with no problems. I don't remember there being any
              problems in our getting permission to enter the Holy Mountain at the
              ministry in Thessalonica, although there might have been a bit of waiting
              around due to the bureaucracy or their afternoon break. Father had a written
              recommendation from his Synod Bishop. The Skete of the Prophet Elias is no
              longer in Russian hands. It seems the Russians were expelled by the Greeks
              about 10 years ago. I visited the Skete, St. Panteleimon, and other
              monasteries on the Holy Mountain in 1984 as a then Synod layman. I
              encountered no problems whatsoever.
              I hope this helps.

              In Christ,

              Joachim Wertz