The Orthodox Episcopate of the Russian persecuted Church

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 51 , Nov 17 12:15 AM
      Dear List,

      I think it may be interesting to quote a message from Father Q. de
      Castelbajac below. (My translation).

      In God,

      Vladimir kozyreff

      "Considering the real fervour of the believers, certain priests or
      monks of the MP, many of us wanted too soon believe that this "MP"
      formed with the ROCA a single Russian Church and that it was
      necessary to hasten this meeting, by having a dialogue with its
      episcopate or by disregarding our theological or ethical differences.

      It was underestimating the gravity of the evil that eats up the MP,
      underestimating also the experience and the warning given by the
      Church of Catacombs and by all those in Russia who, as the Father Lev
      Lebediev, left the sergianist MP to join the ROCA.

      It also was forgetting that the "MP" (even the name is a neologism of
      the Soviet period, forged when Stalin, in 1943 appointed
      as "patriarch" metropolitan Sergius) is in no way the Russian Mother
      Church, no more than it is the legitimate heir of the ecclesial Body
      that was chaired by the holy Patriarch Tikhon the Confessor and,
      after his death, by the New-martyr Saint Peter of Kroutitsa.

      It was with this true Church - and not with the sergianists - that
      the ROCA always stayed in full religious community and union of
      prayers, in spite of the dramatic difficulties of communication.

      It is for Her that in every liturgy, in the slightest small church of
      the Russian Diaspora, has been sung for more than seventy years the
      litany for " the Orthodox Episcopate of the Russian persecuted
      Church ", commemorated before even the Primacy and the Episcopate of
      our ROCA"

      Http: // perso.wanadoo.fr/stranitchka/VO28/iniqu ite_de_PM.html
    • goossir <irene.goossens@cec.eu.int>
      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 8, 2002
        Well, I think we all agree about the horrors of communist
        persecution. (By the way, Mr Boitchencko, I think you are slightly
        mistaken when you number the victims to only 20 millions.
        Unfortunately, it was much more than that: A. Soljenytsine gives a
        number of 60 millions and some other report up to 100 millions!---).

        Father John said that the resistance of the Russian people was
        poor. Some of us tried to prove the contrary. That was the main
        There was also the question about the alternative for believers when
        faced with these persecutions. Compromise or refusal of
        compromise. Who saved the Faith, official open churches or the
        secret catacomb one? You may of course include the little old
        babushkas (but most of them went into the catacombs).

        Thank you Vladimir for answering so well. Of course when I said
        that we should always try to follow Christ footsteps, it was a
        statement of universal conscience. I was just answering what was
        the alternative and showed how this alternative was followed by many
        Russians who won thus the martyr crown and veneration from Russian
        people who finally forced the MP to glorify them. It was those
        Saints and their example that are responsible for the rebirth of
        Holy Russia – not the ones (even if you found old babushkas in their
        mist) who compromised, even with good intents.

        I know, Dear Father John, even better than you do, how sinful I am.
        Very often, writing on this list, I hesitate, asking myself whether
        I am worthy of expressing any opinion.
        What prompts me to write at last, is the search for the Truth, the
        refusal to stay silent when I see our Church being menaced by
        worldly agreements. I was always told that it is even a greater sin
        to stay silent when you see, hear someone being slandered.
        It was the uncompromising behaviour of our Church that made her so
        unique and because of just this, evil forces try to tear her apart.
        Being a sinner does not prevent me from desiring with all my heart
        that the church stays pure, more so as I am not perfect.

        With the Love in Christ,
        Irina P

        In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@e...>