A TIME FOR TRUTH -- 9/11 AND ISLAM

  • Fr David Straut
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2002
      http://www.donfeder.com/filecabinet//911Islam091102.txt
      A TIME FOR TRUTH -- 9/11 AND ISLAM
      By Don Feder

      People keep asking me what we learned from September 11, 2001 and the deaths
      of
      3,000 of our fellow citizens. I'm tempted to say: Absolutely nothing. (Who
      was it who
      remarked that the lessons of history are the last things we ever learn?)

      Among the many unlearned lessons of Day-Which-Will-Live-In-Infamy-II-- the
      necessity to control our borders, the need for a patriotic renewal and the
      importance of
      combatting multiculturalism -- the most significant is the nature of Islam.
      You will note
      that I do not say militant Islam, or radical Islam, or Islamic extremism or
      other such
      weasel words - but Islam, period.

      Every one of the hijackers who flew airliners into the World Trade Center
      and
      Pentagon were professing and practicing Moslems, as is Osama bin Laden. The
      Al Qaeda
      network is based in Moslem countries and supported financially by pious
      Moslems in
      Saudi Arabia.

      The overwhelming majority of Moslem religious authorities who've spoken out
      on the subject, including those at the main mosque in Mecca and Egypt's
      prestigious Al
      Azar University, either endorse or rationalize acts of terrorism. On a day
      when
      Americans were incinerated or buried under tons of rubble, from Nigeria to
      Indonesia,
      Moslems celebrated in the streets.

      Sept. 11 was one chapter in a 1400-year jihad. Every day, the World Trade
      Center
      massacre is reenacted on a smaller scale somewhere in the Third World -
      Jewish women
      and children are burned alive in a bus on the West Bank, a missionary is
      beheaded in the
      Philippines, gunmen shoot up a church in Pakistan (deliberately firing into
      the prostrate
      bodies of women trying to shield their children), ancient monasteries and
      convents are
      destroyed in Kosovo, a woman is sentenced to death for adultery in Nigeria,
      Hindus are
      murdered in the Kashmir, a nun is found beheaded in Baghdad -- and the beat
      goes on.

      Genocide in the Sudan, ethnic cleansing in the Balkans, religious
      persecution in
      Saudi Arabia, calls for another holocaust in mosques from Mecca to Gaza, the
      imposition
      of Islamic law in Nigeria, forced conversions in Indonesia, synagogues
      burned in France,
      Jews attacked across Europe - these are everyday events, as Third World and
      much of the
      First slowly turns Islamic green.

      And still our leaders, from President Bush on down, insist on peddling the
      absurdity that Islam is a religion of peace - a creed of kindness and
      benevolence
      tragically and inexplicably corrupted by fanatics.

      At a conference, I recently had an exchange with Tom Ridge, the Director of
      Homeland Security, wherein I questioned the governor on Islam a la Hans
      Christian Andersen. Ridge replied that Islam was indeed a pacific faith
      corrupted
      by a handful of heretics. I replied that the "handful" is in the hundreds of
      millions
      and -- as far as I can see - it's the Moslems who aren't trying to kill us
      who've
      misinterpreted their religion.

      Why this reluctance to confront manifest reality? The reason lies partly
      with our absurd foreign policy. We've declared certain Moslem nations to be
      our
      loyal allies - including Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan. We wouldn't want to
      offend these dear friends by saying something unflattering about their
      bloody,
      butcherly, dark ages faith.

      Then too, Americans are naturally benevolent. Most of us are taught from
      childhood that is religion is good (and it doesn't matter which religion).
      As long
      as little Johnny believes in God and goodness, it's inconsequential whether
      he
      lights candles, wears a skull cap to services or prays in the direction of
      Mecca.

      This works with every religion except Islam.

      Consider the following: Of the three major monotheistic religions, one
      was started by a lawgiver, one by a man of peace (try to imagine
      Mohammed telling his followers to turn the other cheek) and one by a
      warrior. Mohammed led men into battle. The essence of his message is
      holy war - slaughtering your enemies for the glory of Allah. He even
      advised his followers to negotiate a phony truces to lull their enemies.

      For almost 1,400 years, that has been the reality of Islam. Within a century
      after the death of Mohammed, Islam spread throughout the Middle East and
      across North Africa. It overran the Iberian peninsula and was finally
      stopped in
      southern France. It spread eastward as far as the southern Philippines. It
      was not
      propagated by fresh-faced young men knocking on doors and announcing:
      "Hello.
      I'm from your local mosque. Have you considered the Koran?" It was spread by
      force - conversion by the sword. To a large extent, it still is.

      Some will respond that all religions go through periods of violence,
      usually in their infancy. Christianity had its crusades and Inquisition, its
      forced
      conversions and expulsions. But the evil committed in the name of Christ
      happened centuries ago. The evil committed in the name of the Prophet is
      going
      on now, as you read these words. Of 22 conflicts in the Third World, 20
      involve
      Moslems versus someone else. Coincidence? In his brilliant book, "Clash of
      Cultures and the Remaking of World Order," Samuel Huntington speaks of
      Islam's "bloody borders."

      There is no Methodist Jihad, no Hasidic holy warriors, no Southern
      Baptist suicide bombers, no Mormon elders preaching the annihilation of
      members of other faiths.

      Islam is a warrior religion - the perfect vessel for fanatics, the violence-
      prone, the envious and haters of all stripes. This is one reason why Islam
      is
      making so many converts among the peaceable denizens of our prison system.

      Still, much of the West is addicted to a fairy-tale version of Islam.
      Christian and Jewish clergy fall all over themselves to have interfaith
      services
      with imams. Representatives of Moslem groups are invited to the White House.
      The president signs a Ramadan declaration. In California, public schools ask
      children to role-play at being Moslems. Our universities take carefully
      selected
      verses from the Koran and present them as the essence of the faith. All
      that's
      needed is a Moslem character on "Sesame Street." Look - it's the Jihad
      Monster!

      This perspective engenders a fatally false sense of security. Imagine, in
      1940, Winston Churchill taking to the airwaves to announce that Nazism was
      an
      ideology of peace which, regrettably, had been perverted by a few fanatics
      like
      Hitler and Goebbels. But most storm troopers and SS men are fine follows -
      your
      friends and neighbors.

      For the first thousand years of its history - from the death of Mohammad
      to the 17th. century decline of the Ottoman empire, Islam was an
      expansionist
      force. For the next 300 years, as the West rose to preeminence, Islam
      receded. For
      the past four decades - fueled by Arab oil wealth, a surplus population in
      the
      Middle East, the waning of the West and the rise of more virulent strains of
      the
      faith (Shiism, Wahhabism, Sunni fundamentalism) - Islam is expanding once
      more. Round and round she goes and where she stops nobody knows.

      Due to Moslem immigration and aggressive proselytizing among the
      underclass, Islam is being exported to the West. Moslem populations are
      burgeoning throughout Western Europe. (In southern France, there are said to
      be
      more mosques than churches.) In Judeo-Christian America, Islam is the
      fastest
      growing religion. It's also spreading down the coast of West Africa, through
      the
      Balkans (after Serbia, Macedonia is the next target) and up from Mindanao in
      the
      Philippines.

      Wherever it comes, Islam brings its delightful customs - child marriages,
      female circumcisions, rabid anti-Semitism, terrorism and support for
      terrorism
      and a virulent intolerance of other faiths.

      Am I suggesting we declare war on 900 million Moslems? The question is
      irrelevant - many of them have declared war on us. When one side knows it's
      at
      war and the other thinks peace and brotherhood prevail, guess who wins?

      Ultimately, it's not about Jews in the West Bank, or Orthodox Serbs in
      Kosovo, or Hindus in Kashmir, or Maronite Catholics in Lebanon, or
      Christians
      in Sudan and Nigeria but all of us. As Ben Franklin would have it - Either
      we will
      hang together, or surely we shall all hang separately.

      I'll save what-is-to-be-done for another installment. In the meantime, my
      compliments to Richard the Lionhearted and Charles Martel