[orthodox-synod] Canon used by ROCOR?

  • Justin Kissel
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
      Does ROCOR endorse a specific Scriptural canon, or is this an issue on which ROCOR is flexible?

      Perhaps I should clarify what I mean. As an Orthodox Christian I've seen three different canons used: 1. the truncated canon used by most Protestants (excluding Tobit, Sirach, 3 Maccabees, etc.); 2. the Catholic canon as established at Trent (including Tobit, Sirach, etc., but excluding Prayer of Manasseh, 3 Maccabees, etc. ); and 3. the expanded canon used by some parts of the Church throughout the centuries (including the Prayer of Manasseh, 3 Maccabees, etc.). I know that different Local Orthodox Churches have different views about what canon is to be used: so then, does ROCOR favor or exclusively use one particular canon, or is this really not an issue that is worried about?

      Seeking,

      Justin

    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2002
        If ANY local Orthodox church (as distinct from unenlightened members
        thereof) accepts the Protestant bastardization of the scriptural canon, I
        will be astounded and shocked. To the best of my knowledge, there has never
        been (since the Council of Chalcedon) any doubt as to what constitutes the
        Orthodox canon of Scripture -- your so- called "expanded" third option.
        There are, unfortunately, some practical difficulties in the English
        translations, but for the most part these are not of enormous significance.