Re: Praying with heretics – so what?

  • boulia_1
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 5, 2002
      Dear John,

      To respond to only one point you made, since I am a amember of a
      European ROCOR diocese (in good standing) and do live in Europe... :

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Reader John" <rdrjohn2000@y...> wrote:

      > I am not involved in the disputes with the French clergy, I just
      read
      > the list about these events in Europe. I do not live in Europe
      > (though I did live there in the early 80's for four years) and
      > thus am not a member of any European diocese (of course neither is
      > Fr. Alexander).

      > I make no judgment on the situation of the clergy in France, but,
      > correct me if I am wrong, no transportation was given or offered
      > the clergy who were summoned to the meeting with Vl. Lavr. Why
      does
      > Fr. Alexander avoid mentioning this important detail?

      If you did live in Europe, you should realize it's not so important
      a detail. To get from Paris to Munich is like getting from Boston to
      NY, only easier, because Europe is WAY ahead of the U.S.
      (particularly, I'll submit, the southern U.S.) when it comes to
      transportation. You can fly round trip between to the two cities for
      under $100. Or take a train if you prefer to stay on the ground.
      Transportation is really not an issue Europe, so trying to make it
      one seems to be, with all due respect, really grasping at straws.

      In Christ's love,
      Elizabeth

    • goossir
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 7, 2002
        Dear Elizabeth,

        Please let me correct you.
        I also live in Europe, Brussels and am very astonished about the
        information you give on travelling in Europe.
        How is it possible that you do not know that flight fares between
        European big cities are very expensive. It is cheaper sometimes to
        go to New York by plane than to go to Vienna, Stockholm, etc. You
        certainly do not find return tickets between Paris and Munich at
        USD100, even with promotion prices. They cost at least 5 times more.
        Train travel between Paris and Munich is also expensive and very
        long. You have to change at least twice. I know this perfectly
        well, as I had to organise, last year, my daughter's travel from
        France to Munich by train. The one way ticket cost approximately USD
        200.
        I am sorry for the list that we must go into travelling details in
        Europe, but it is important to show that effectively, as John
        mentioned, not only the French Clergy's summoning to Paris was at
        very short notice but also quite costly.

        With sisterly love
        Irina Pahlen

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@h...> wrote:
        > Dear John,
        >
        > To respond to only one point you made, since I am a amember of a
        > European ROCOR diocese (in good standing) and do live in Europe... :
        >
        > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Reader John" <rdrjohn2000@y...> wrote:
        >

        > > I am not involved in the disputes with the French clergy, I just
        > read
        > > the list about these events in Europe. I do not live in Europe
        > > (though I did live there in the early 80's for four years) and
        > > thus am not a member of any European diocese (of course neither
        is
        > > Fr. Alexander).
        >

        > > I make no judgment on the situation of the clergy in France, but,
        > > correct me if I am wrong, no transportation was given or offered
        > > the clergy who were summoned to the meeting with Vl. Lavr. Why
        > does
        > > Fr. Alexander avoid mentioning this important detail?
        >
        > If you did live in Europe, you should realize it's not so important
        > a detail. To get from Paris to Munich is like getting from Boston
        > NY, only easier, because Europe is WAY ahead of the U.S.
        > (particularly, I'll submit, the southern U.S.) when it comes to
        > transportation. You can fly round trip between to the two cities
        for
        > under $100. Or take a train if you prefer to stay on the ground.
        > Transportation is really not an issue Europe, so trying to make it
        > one seems to be, with all due respect, really grasping at straws.
        >
        > In Christ's love,
        > Elizabeth

      • hoodpeters
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 7, 2002
          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "goossir" <irene.goossens@c...> wrote:
          > I am sorry for the list that we must go into travelling details in
          > Europe, but it is important to show that effectively, as John
          > mentioned, not only the French Clergy's summoning to Paris was at
          > very short notice but also quite costly.

          Did they need champagne and caviar in order to go to Munich?
          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/euraide/t0261par.htm
          Besides, if your Bishops tell you to go 500 miles for a meeting or be
          defrocked, you go. Your line of reasoning to justify Varnavism "by
          any means necessary" is ridiculous.
          In Christ,
          Dcn. John