Erosion of the evil nature of schism

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
      Dear List,

      Regarding the fact that we should not follow a schismatic, our Church
      is in total agreement with the following recommendations.

      "Do not err, my brethren: if anyone follow a schismatic, he will not
      inherit the Kingdom of God. If any man walk about with strange
      doctrine, he cannot lie down with the passion. Take care, then, to
      use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God:
      for there is one Flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ, and one cup in the
      union of His Blood; one altar, as there is one bishop with the
      presbytery and my fellow servants, the deacons."
      (St. Ignatius Of Antioch, Epistle to the Philadelphians, 3:2-4:1, 110
      A.D. )
      http://www.orthodox.net/gleanings/schism.html

      However, some clergy direct us to follow the MP schism, suggest that
      we recognise it as our mother Church and have communion with the
      Eulogian schism. They call schismatic those who "have a right to
      claim the honour due to Orthodox Christians", that is those who do
      not follow them in that path.

      « As for those, however, who separate from their bishop before a
      synodical investigation because he himself is preaching some
      misbelief and heresy publicly, not only are not subject to the above
      penances, but have a right to claim the honor due to Orthodox
      Christians according to c. XV of the 1st & 2nd. Interpretation (of
      Ss. Nikodemos and Agapios).

      Here are some typical views of Saint John Chrysostomos that will help
      us to realize the gravity of the matter:
      • "Nothing so provokes God to anger as the division of the Church."
      • "The most pernicious of all things is to split the Church."
      • "To cause a schism in the Church is not a lesser evil than to fall
      into heresy."
      • "Not even the blood of martyrdom avails to wipe out this sin."
      http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/resistance/schism_wall.pdf

      "Unfortunately, some Orthodox laymen, even, alas, many priests (and
      hierarchs) have subjected themselves to this state of gracelessness,
      although still retaining the outward appearance of the church
      services and the apparent performance of the Mysteries.
      (from a paschal encyclical of Vladyka Anthony's, 1934)

      The schismatic nature of the Eulogian "jurisdiction" and of the MP is
      well known. Is it not interesting to see that senior priests and
      hierarchs imply "with bare (uncovered) head", having the meaning
      of "openly", or perhaps more accurately – "without feeling
      ashamed", "brazenly", that, however terrible schism may be, it looses
      its malignant nature with time and becomes true orthodoxy again after
      a certain time even without any repentence?

      Is this being in communion with our dear Orthodox Church Abroad?

      If the senior priests and hierarchs who promote our union with the MP
      and the Eulogians (in spite of their not repenting whatsoever),
      maintain that the French clergy is schismatic, we can expect that it
      will just take some time for this "schism" to cease being one in
      their eyes.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff
    • Margaret Lark
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
        From: "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@...>
        Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:52:09 -0000

        >Regarding the fact that we should not follow a schismatic, our Church
        >is in total agreement with the following recommendations....

        You *do* realize that the SCOBA churches consider *us* to be schismatic, don't you???

        In Christ,
        Margaret the sinner

        --
        Glory to God for all things!