Where is the schism?

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002
      Dear List,

      St Joseph of Petrograd, who was not glorified by the MP wrote:

      "Do not judge me so severely, and clearly understand the following:

      1. I am not at all a schismatic, and I call not to a schism. but to
      the purification of the Church from those who sow real schism and
      provoke it.

      2. To indicate to another his errors and wrongs is not schism but, to
      speak simply, it is putting an unbridled horse back into harness.

      3. The refusal to accept sound reproaches and directives is in
      reality a schism and a trampling on the truth.

      4. In the construction of ecclesiastical life the participants are
      not only those at the head, but the whole body of the Church, and a
      schismatic is he who assumes to himself rights which exceed his
      authority and in the name of the Church presumes to say that which is
      not shared by his colleagues.

      5. Metropolitan Sergius has shown himself to be such a schismatic,
      for he has far exceeded his authority and has rejected and scorned
      the voice o many hierarchs, in whose midst the pure truth has been
      preserved".

      Is showing leniency to that Sergianist schism, that is to say to the
      MP, and claiming that only psychological obstacles separate us from
      it (as one of our bishops says), suggesting that we should be part of
      it by requesting "autonomy" from it (as does an archbishop of our
      Church), is it not a way of going into that schism? Is resisting to
      that move really going into schism or avoiding it?

      So please, let the response not be again a statement to the effect
      that schism is bad. We all agree with that. What we discus here is
      where the schism is. It is certainly in the MP. It certainly wants to
      spread. Are we ready to resist it and do we do what is right to
      resist it?

      In God,