[orthodox-synod] A Greek Question

  • markishm@simplexnet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 1999
      Greetings on the coming Commemoration of the Beheading of the
      Forerunner.

      My question is about Greek numerals. They are similar to Slavonic
      numerals, but not identical. Could anyone please show the differences?

      In particular, number 6 in Slavonic is "zelo" (looks like "s") and 7 is
      "zemlia" (looks like "3"). Both letters are obviously derivatives of
      "zita", which in Greek dentotes 7, while 6 is two letters: sigma-tau.
      Why?

      In Christ yours, -- Mark