[orthodox-synod] Re: Fr Seraphim of Platina

  • Agape Community
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4 7:32 AM
      Fr. Joseph Huneycutt's comments on Matushka Ann Lardas' excellent letter....

      >I don't have an icon of Fr Seraphim, with a halo, for that very reason. I do
      >have a black and white photograph of him in a special place. I also have an
      >iconographic style representation of him -- without halo -- in my home. I
      >also pray for him at the Prothesis.

      So it is here, and so it was with Vladyka John prior to his
      glorification. So was I instructed.

      >To my rather silly statement:
      >
      >> >Besides, who could "canonize" him as long as his body (etc.) is with the
      >> Platina bunch.<
      >
      >Matushka Ann quite rightly replies:
      >
      >> Did we have the bodies of all the New Martyrs of Russia?
      >
      >Excellent point! It was a flippant statement on my part. ... But, here
      >are some concerns:

      Not entirely flippant, I think. Unavoidable that this should be a
      factor, though one would certainly not expect it to be so in the long run.

      >1) Some converts often feel compelled to visit Platina because of Fr
      >Seraphim. I discourage them. (No?)

      I would have to do the same, Father. Indeed, I have never, despite
      my great desire to do so, returned to Platina to serve a panikhida at Fr.
      Seraphim's grave. I wanted to do so during a pilgrimage/vacation to the
      west some years ago, just before Fr. Herman's formal deposition. Vladyka
      Hilarion gave me his blessing to do so, provided that Vladyka Anthony gave
      his. Vladyka Anthony, in his humility, did not refuse me a blessing, but
      rather begged me not to go, deferring an explanation of the full story to
      Fr. Peter Perekrestov, who later related his recent visit (with another
      priest) to make one last attempt to talk fruitfully with Fr. Herman. They
      had taken with them a tape recorder... and were forced to turn it off, so
      vile were the words with which Fr. Herman responded to their attempts.
      Needless to say, I didn't go.

      >3) It would be nice if there were some ROCOR publications about the life of
      >Fr Seraphim, his writings, etc., instead of relying totally on St. Herman
      >Brotherhood.
      Amen! I heard a rumor once that Fr. Alexey Young was planning to
      do something of the sort, and hope it wasn't just a rumor.

      >5) And, speaking of the New Martyrs, wasn't Fr Seraphim a major catalyst
      >toward their glorification (miracles notwithstanding)?
      Certainly was for me!

      >Finally, as I said earlier, I'm delighted that we are discussing Fr Seraphim.
      > I'm indebted to him.

      Memory eternal!
      --- St. John of Kronstadt Press
      1180 Orthodox Way
      Liberty TN 37095 USA
      615/536-5239 (voice)
      615/536-5945 (fax)
      agape@...

      Check our web site at http://www.roca.org/kronstadt/
    • Orthodixie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4 9:05 AM
        Fr. Alexey Young's review of the book, "Not of This World," is available
        online at:

        http://www.roca.org/oa/126-127/126p.htm

        This is probably the best place to start.

        Fr Joseph Huneycutt
        Orthodixie@...

        In a message dated 9/4/1999 10:29:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        peacock_e@... writes:

        > Subj: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fr Seraphim of Platina
        > Date: 9/4/1999 10:29:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time
        > From: peacock_e@... (Edward D. Peacock)
        > To: orthodox-synod@egroups.com ('orthodox-synod@egroups.com')
        >
        > File: Unknown (2483 bytes)
        > DL Time (49333 bps): < 1 minute
        >
        > Dear Fr. Huneycutt,
        >
        > Fr. Bless!
        >
        > Could you explain this statement in some more detail? I read and loved
        this
        > book as well. My husband is presently reading this. Being fairly new to
        > Orthodoxy, we were not really aware of the details of the Platina situation
        > following Fr. Seraphim's demise.
        >
        > What are the lies and the agenda to look out for in this book?
        >
        > We would appreciate your enlightenment so we can know what to look out for
        > here.
        >
        > In Christ,
        > Makrina
        >
        > 2) Prior to coming into ROCOR, "Not of This World" was our bookstore's
        best

        > seller It never -- not once -- turned anyone off from the Church Abroad.
        > Even then, I always warned them of the book's Hermanite agenda. (It's
        > painfully obvious!) Yet, in the Church Abroad, I'm fully aware that we
        are

        > not to sell this book for obvious reasons (lies & agenda, etc.). We no
        > longer carry it. However, prior to our reception into the Church Abroad,
        > this book changed many lives and -- almost to a soul -- those folks are
        > still
        > members of this community.
      • Edward D. Peacock
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4 1:32 PM
          Thank you, Father. This is most informative!

          peacock_e@... writes:

          > Subj: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fr Seraphim of Platina
          > Date: 9/4/1999 10:29:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time
          > From: peacock_e@... (Edward D. Peacock)
          > To: orthodox-synod@egroups.com ('orthodox-synod@egroups.com')
          >
          > File: Unknown (2483 bytes)
          > DL Time (49333 bps): < 1 minute
          >
          > Dear Fr. Huneycutt,
          >
          > Fr. Bless!
          >
          > Could you explain this statement in some more detail? I read and loved
          this
          > book as well. My husband is presently reading this. Being fairly new to
          > Orthodoxy, we were not really aware of the details of the Platina situation
          > following Fr. Seraphim's demise.
          >
          > What are the lies and the agenda to look out for in this book?
          >
          > We would appreciate your enlightenment so we can know what to look out for
          > here.
          >
          > In Christ,
          > Makrina
          >
          > 2) Prior to coming into ROCOR, "Not of This World" was our bookstore's
          best

          > seller It never -- not once -- turned anyone off from the Church Abroad.
          > Even then, I always warned them of the book's Hermanite agenda. (It's
          > painfully obvious!) Yet, in the Church Abroad, I'm fully aware that we
          are

          > not to sell this book for obvious reasons (lies & agenda, etc.). We no
          > longer carry it. However, prior to our reception into the Church Abroad,
          > this book changed many lives and -- almost to a soul -- those folks are
          > still
          > members of this community.

          Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
          http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/552

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod