[orthodox-synod] Re: Fr Seraphim of Platina

  • Orthodixie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
      Matushka Ann Lardas writes:

      > And so if we were scattered about without leaders, it would make sense for
      > each of us to decide when and where to have an icon of each of the holy
      > people who've reposed, but, because the Church has a certain structure, we
      > don't need to.

      I don't have an icon of Fr Seraphim, with a halo, for that very reason. I do
      have a black and white photograph of him in a special place. I also have an
      iconographic style representation of him -- without halo -- in my home. I
      also pray for him at the Prothesis.

      > And as miracles occur, let's share them.

      Absolutely! In order for there to be miracles, prayers answered, etc., there
      must be petitions. Yet, I'm not sure that many folks -- especially converts
      -- know of the "procedure" which leads toward the acknowledgment and
      glorification by the Church.

      To my rather silly statement:

      > >Besides, who could "canonize" him as long as his body (etc.) is with the
      > Platina bunch.<

      Matushka Ann quite rightly replies:

      > Did we have the bodies of all the New Martyrs of Russia?

      Excellent point! It was a flippant statement on my part. All the while, I
      still wonder if the severed relations between Platina and ROCOR are not a
      factor. In some circles, it seems that you can't mention Fr Seraphim without
      being "hushed out" by talk of Fr Herman, et al., etc. I'm assuming that the
      dynamics of conversation were different with regard to the New Martyrs.
      Besides, there were those in the USSR who cooperated with ROCOR leading up to
      the glorification of the New Martyrs. I'm in way over my head here, and am
      obviously a neophyte concerning such things. But, here are some concerns:

      1) Some converts often feel compelled to visit Platina because of Fr
      Seraphim. I discourage them. (No?)

      2) Prior to coming into ROCOR, "Not of This World" was our bookstore's best
      seller. It never -- not once -- turned anyone off from the Church Abroad.
      Even then, I always warned them of the book's Hermanite agenda. (It's
      painfully obvious!) Yet, in the Church Abroad, I'm fully aware that we are
      not to sell this book for obvious reasons (lies & agenda, etc.). We no
      longer carry it. However, prior to our reception into the Church Abroad,
      this book changed many lives and -- almost to a soul -- those folks are still
      members of this community.

      3) It would be nice if there were some ROCOR publications about the life of
      Fr Seraphim, his writings, etc., instead of relying totally on St. Herman
      Brotherhood.

      4) With the exception of adult converts, I hear more about Fr Seraphim from
      recent emigres than anyone else. His writings, during the Communist
      oppression, were a source of great spiritual nourishment for them.

      5) And, speaking of the New Martyrs, wasn't Fr Seraphim a major catalyst
      toward their glorification (miracles notwithstanding)?

      Finally, as I said earlier, I'm delighted that we are discussing Fr Seraphim.
      I'm indebted to him. I'll accept even "flames" if it will help us toward a
      greater understanding and appreciation of his life and work. Struggling to
      grow and pastor "convert" missions without his writings and witness would be
      a toll house all its own. :)

      in XC,

      Fr Joseph Huneycutt
      Orthodixie@...
    • Edward D. Peacock
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
        Dear Fr. Huneycutt,

        Fr. Bless!

        Could you explain this statement in some more detail? I read and loved this book as well. My husband is presently reading this. Being fairly new to Orthodoxy, we were not really aware of the details of the Platina situation following Fr. Seraphim's demise.

        What are the lies and the agenda to look out for in this book?

        We would appreciate your enlightenment so we can know what to look out for here.

        In Christ,
        Makrina

        2) Prior to coming into ROCOR, "Not of This World" was our bookstore's best
        seller. It never -- not once -- turned anyone off from the Church Abroad.
        Even then, I always warned them of the book's Hermanite agenda. (It's
        painfully obvious!) Yet, in the Church Abroad, I'm fully aware that we are
        not to sell this book for obvious reasons (lies & agenda, etc.). We no
        longer carry it. However, prior to our reception into the Church Abroad,
        this book changed many lives and -- almost to a soul -- those folks are still
        members of this community.
      • Agape Community
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
          Fr. Joseph Huneycutt's comments on Matushka Ann Lardas' excellent letter....

          >I don't have an icon of Fr Seraphim, with a halo, for that very reason. I do
          >have a black and white photograph of him in a special place. I also have an
          >iconographic style representation of him -- without halo -- in my home. I
          >also pray for him at the Prothesis.

          So it is here, and so it was with Vladyka John prior to his
          glorification. So was I instructed.

          >To my rather silly statement:
          >
          >> >Besides, who could "canonize" him as long as his body (etc.) is with the
          >> Platina bunch.<
          >
          >Matushka Ann quite rightly replies:
          >
          >> Did we have the bodies of all the New Martyrs of Russia?
          >
          >Excellent point! It was a flippant statement on my part. ... But, here
          >are some concerns:

          Not entirely flippant, I think. Unavoidable that this should be a
          factor, though one would certainly not expect it to be so in the long run.

          >1) Some converts often feel compelled to visit Platina because of Fr
          >Seraphim. I discourage them. (No?)

          I would have to do the same, Father. Indeed, I have never, despite
          my great desire to do so, returned to Platina to serve a panikhida at Fr.
          Seraphim's grave. I wanted to do so during a pilgrimage/vacation to the
          west some years ago, just before Fr. Herman's formal deposition. Vladyka
          Hilarion gave me his blessing to do so, provided that Vladyka Anthony gave
          his. Vladyka Anthony, in his humility, did not refuse me a blessing, but
          rather begged me not to go, deferring an explanation of the full story to
          Fr. Peter Perekrestov, who later related his recent visit (with another
          priest) to make one last attempt to talk fruitfully with Fr. Herman. They
          had taken with them a tape recorder... and were forced to turn it off, so
          vile were the words with which Fr. Herman responded to their attempts.
          Needless to say, I didn't go.

          >3) It would be nice if there were some ROCOR publications about the life of
          >Fr Seraphim, his writings, etc., instead of relying totally on St. Herman
          >Brotherhood.
          Amen! I heard a rumor once that Fr. Alexey Young was planning to
          do something of the sort, and hope it wasn't just a rumor.

          >5) And, speaking of the New Martyrs, wasn't Fr Seraphim a major catalyst
          >toward their glorification (miracles notwithstanding)?
          Certainly was for me!

          >Finally, as I said earlier, I'm delighted that we are discussing Fr Seraphim.
          > I'm indebted to him.

          Memory eternal!
          --- St. John of Kronstadt Press
          1180 Orthodox Way
          Liberty TN 37095 USA
          615/536-5239 (voice)
          615/536-5945 (fax)
          agape@...

          Check our web site at http://www.roca.org/kronstadt/
        • Orthodixie@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
            Fr. Alexey Young's review of the book, "Not of This World," is available
            online at:

            http://www.roca.org/oa/126-127/126p.htm

            This is probably the best place to start.

            Fr Joseph Huneycutt
            Orthodixie@...

            In a message dated 9/4/1999 10:29:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            peacock_e@... writes:

            > Subj: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fr Seraphim of Platina
            > Date: 9/4/1999 10:29:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time
            > From: peacock_e@... (Edward D. Peacock)
            > To: orthodox-synod@egroups.com ('orthodox-synod@egroups.com')
            >
            > File: Unknown (2483 bytes)
            > DL Time (49333 bps): < 1 minute
            >
            > Dear Fr. Huneycutt,
            >
            > Fr. Bless!
            >
            > Could you explain this statement in some more detail? I read and loved
            this
            > book as well. My husband is presently reading this. Being fairly new to
            > Orthodoxy, we were not really aware of the details of the Platina situation
            > following Fr. Seraphim's demise.
            >
            > What are the lies and the agenda to look out for in this book?
            >
            > We would appreciate your enlightenment so we can know what to look out for
            > here.
            >
            > In Christ,
            > Makrina
            >
            > 2) Prior to coming into ROCOR, "Not of This World" was our bookstore's
            best

            > seller It never -- not once -- turned anyone off from the Church Abroad.
            > Even then, I always warned them of the book's Hermanite agenda. (It's
            > painfully obvious!) Yet, in the Church Abroad, I'm fully aware that we
            are

            > not to sell this book for obvious reasons (lies & agenda, etc.). We no
            > longer carry it. However, prior to our reception into the Church Abroad,
            > this book changed many lives and -- almost to a soul -- those folks are
            > still
            > members of this community.
          • Edward D. Peacock
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
              Thank you, Father. This is most informative!

              peacock_e@... writes:

              > Subj: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fr Seraphim of Platina
              > Date: 9/4/1999 10:29:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time
              > From: peacock_e@... (Edward D. Peacock)
              > To: orthodox-synod@egroups.com ('orthodox-synod@egroups.com')
              >
              > File: Unknown (2483 bytes)
              > DL Time (49333 bps): < 1 minute
              >
              > Dear Fr. Huneycutt,
              >
              > Fr. Bless!
              >
              > Could you explain this statement in some more detail? I read and loved
              this
              > book as well. My husband is presently reading this. Being fairly new to
              > Orthodoxy, we were not really aware of the details of the Platina situation
              > following Fr. Seraphim's demise.
              >
              > What are the lies and the agenda to look out for in this book?
              >
              > We would appreciate your enlightenment so we can know what to look out for
              > here.
              >
              > In Christ,
              > Makrina
              >
              > 2) Prior to coming into ROCOR, "Not of This World" was our bookstore's
              best

              > seller It never -- not once -- turned anyone off from the Church Abroad.
              > Even then, I always warned them of the book's Hermanite agenda. (It's
              > painfully obvious!) Yet, in the Church Abroad, I'm fully aware that we
              are

              > not to sell this book for obvious reasons (lies & agenda, etc.). We no
              > longer carry it. However, prior to our reception into the Church Abroad,
              > this book changed many lives and -- almost to a soul -- those folks are
              > still
              > members of this community.

              Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
              http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/552

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod