[orthodox-synod] Re: Saints

  • Rev'd. Fr. Hierodeacon Symeon
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 1999
      Dear List members,

      I would incline to agree with Father Gregory.

      It is presently okay to have:

      1. ikons painted of the Blessed Hieromonk Seraphim of Platina WITHOUT halo.
      (Remember this is one of the many things Abbot Herman got "in trouble" for
      adding a halo around an ikon of Vladika Averky of Jordanville).

      2. and continue to have pantakitas served in his Blessed Memory.

      3. and in private prayer seek Bl. Seraphim's intercession.

      When the Church recognizes his sanctity She will Glorify him. Thereafter,
      halos may be used in his ikons as well as molebens and Matins, etc. served
      in his honor and for his intercession before the King!

      The American Diocese of the Holy Synod of Milan likewise considers Blessed
      Schemabishop Theodore (Irtel) of Valaam & the Psov Caves a saint and we have
      a non-haloed ikon of him. To see his ikon visit our Central New York Mission
      website at
      http://www.geocities.com/~orthodoxwest/toc.html then click on "Our
      Spiritual Treasure" link from the left hand column. If you click the "Photo
      Gallery" link you will see a photograph of Bl. Elder Theodore while visiting
      our parish in England.

      Bl. Theodore was a childhood playmate of the Passionbearer St. Alexis son of
      Tsar St Nicholas. He is known to have conversed with St. Seraphim and the
      Holy Theotokos. Vladika is accounted for healing people and for the
      resurrection of a man in Europe and has been known for his clarivoyance and
      ability to bi-locate. His monastic labors were done in Old Valaam and at the
      Psov Caves Monastery where, at both locations, he was guided by saintly
      men. He corresponded briefly with St. Silouan of Athos. He also was
      co-guardian at Monk's Lagoon with Fr Gerasim of Alaska. His missionary
      labors were in Alaska, Mexico and in Texas. He is known, especially, by the
      monks of St. Hilarion's (Austin, Tx), Holy Name Abbey (W. Milford, NJ), St.
      Isaac Skete (Boscobal, Wi) and Christ the Savior (Blanco, Tx); he was the
      spiritual father of several laity, clergy and hierarchs from both the ROCOR
      and Milan Synod. Vladika Theodore reposed at the Abbey of the Holy Name (NJ)
      and is buried in West Milford, NJ. His repose is commemorated on Nov 8th
      (old style).

      Blessed Elder Philotheos (Zervakos) is another 20th saint yet to be
      glorified by the Church. He is the spiritual father of Metropolitan Cyprian
      of Oropos & Fili, amongst others. St. John of Kronstadt Press co-publishes
      two volumes of Elder Philotheos' "Paternal Counsels". I know of no ikon
      painted of him. If you do, please let me know.

      The least in Christ's Service,
      Fr. Hierodeacon Symeon of Syracuse

      Our Lady of Tender Mercy Western Orthodox Mission
      POB 476 University Station
      Syracuse, NY 13210-0476
      (315) 423.0339
      <orthodox@...>

      Our Lady's Mission
      http://www.geocities.com/~orthodoxwest

      St. Gregory's Press
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/7858/StGregoryPress.html

      San Symeon Western Orthodox Cyber-skete
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/7858/

      Autonomous Orthodox Metropolitanate of Milan
      http://www.ccms.net/~milan
      "Blessed is the person whose desire for God has
      become like the lover's passion for the beloved"?
      + Saint John Climacus (c. 579-649)