[orthodox-synod] Re: Father Seraphim Rose

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 1999
      I do not think this is quite what Metropolitan Vitaly meant to say--in
      view of the fact that Fr. Herman was disciplined for printing a picture
      of St. John of San Francisco with a halo *before* he was officially
      canonized--the Russian word is "glorified"--by the Church.
      We also have a custom of celebrating a "last Pannikhida"
      immediately before a Saint is canonized, since ther are no more
      Pannikhidas for someone after they have been recognized as a Saint.
      However, it is true that Rome has taken to "political"
      canonizations--as gestures to various groups, nationalities, races &c. We
      have "common services" for Saints of various types--Apostles, Martyrs,
      Prophets, Monastic Saints, and so on; before Vat. II, Rome had basically
      the same categories. If you look at their books now, you can see a common
      service for "Those That Have Worked for the Underprivileged".
      In the Orthodox Church, Sainthood is not a rank like the hall of
      fame or the college of cardinals! People are not made Saints--they
      already *are* Saints, and what the Church does is recognize something
      that already is shown to be a fact.
      Yours with love in Christ
      Fr. John R. Shaw

    • LJames6034@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
        There is a French expresson "Taxation populaire," by which is meant: The
        people take what they want. If the people believe a person is a saint,
        he/she may be. As the Orthodox Patriarchs said to the pope, in 1848: "None
        of us is infallible. The whole people of God are the gurantors of the faith."

        Father Andrew
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
          Curious. I have been in South Carolina, since last Monday, and was in
          Baltimore Saturday (4th), Sunday (5th), and Monday morning.

          I did not write this yesterday (9/09/99), though I did write it.

          Even more curious: As I recall, it was intended to be a private post to
          one of you, not to everyone on the List. However, as I have said in the
          past: "There is no private me as over against a public me." (Though, to be
          sure, I might not refer to the patriarch of Moscow as a "commie bastard,"
          publicly, as I have privately.)

          Nevertheless, for anything I have said, I would be willing to give you two
          weeks to draw a crowd---and then post what I said!

          Father Andrew
        • Rev. John R. Shaw
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 11, 1999
            Years ago, an elderly lady parishioner of ours in Chicago, the late Mrs.
            Lydia Petrovna Braginskaya, who was the daughter of a priest martyred by
            the Bolsheviks, told me the following:
            "No matter how much you may dislike or disagree with a priest [or
            bishop], when you talk [and also write or think] about him, remember
            this: you do now know what he is doing at the given moment. Perhaps he is
            offering the Holy Sacrifice, administering Holy Communion or Unction, or
            praying for someone--and here you are calling him bad names".
            The late Archbishop Seraphim of blessed memory, of Chicago and
            Detroit, once in a conversation with me [privately], made a remark not
            unlike the one below about another cleric; but then caught himself,
            crossed himself, and added "krome svjaschenstva ego, prosti
            Hospodi"--"except for his priesthood, and may the Lord forgive me".
            Fr. John R. Shaw

          • byakimov@csc.com.au
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2002
              http://www.orthodoxnews.com/doodad.fcgi?tcode=10&story=Pravda.ru9282002020814.shtml
              Published by Pravda, September 27, 2002

              "It Is Later Than You Think!" American Apostle to the Russian People

              Fr. Seraphim Rose giving an open air talk

              By Deacon-monk Makarios

              IVANOVO, Russia, September 27, 2002 (Pravda) -- Nothing to do with sleek
              businessmen, fast food chains or investment schemes. And many Russian
              Christians will recognize him right away: few Christian stores or church
              book counters would not carry translations from Fr. Seraphim Rose.

              It should be noted, however, that his apostleship -- to Russia or to any
              other nation into whose languages his works are translated -- did not
              emerge until he finished his earthly sojourn: he died in September, 1982 at
              the age of 48, and the twentieth anniversary of his untimely death is
              solemnly observed these days all over the globe. And here on earth he lived
              in a tiny Orthodox monastic community in the mountains of North California,
              constantly immersed into the church service cycle, into research, writing,
              editing and publishing work, translating treasures of Christian heritage
              into English, responding to letters from readers and inquirers, attending
              to the daily needs like gardening, firewood, truck engine and printing
              equipment, and praying in silence.

              Who was he, that humble, reticent priest-monk? Eugene Rose before
              monasticism, younger son of a janitor, born in San Diego, CA, in his school
              and college years he had little involvement with, or interest for
              Christianity. But he had a bright, inquisitive mind and an honest heart,
              yearning for the truth -- and that has made all the difference.

              He studied Buddhism under Alan Watts in San Francisco and Chinese
              philosophy in the University of California, Berkeley, excelling in any
              field he touched and realizing at the same time that the full truth had to
              be found elsewhere? As he later recalled, "?a new idea began to enter my
              awareness: that Truth was not just an abstract idea, sought and known by
              the mind, but rather something personal -- even a Person -- sought and
              loved by the heart. And that is how I met Christ".

              A number of outer circumstances furthered his conversion. Eugene had
              connections to the Russian immigrant community in San Francisco with very
              strong Orthodox Christian roots. In 1962 it was headed by Archbishop John
              Maximovich, known by some of his followers in China and Western Europe as a
              saint even during his lifetime (and indeed, he was canonized in 1994 in San
              Francisco). He took spiritual charge over the young American inquirer, and
              Fr. Seraphim throughout his life kept the deepest devotion to Archbishop
              John.

              But there is more to it. A throng of faithful flocked around the saintly
              Archbishop -- yet no one else was to become like Fr. Seraphim. Much later a
              person who had known him quite well summarized it as follows:

              "He was very intelligent -- such a genius that few people saw him for what
              he was. But at the same time he was very simple, not complicated at all,
              rather like his father and mother. He could see things exactly the way they
              were -- a down-to-earth, warm, honest man".

              Fr. Seraphim's heritage, both tangible and intangible, is truly immense,
              and even today, twenty years after his death, it keeps unfolding, opening
              new riches. A new volume of his correspondence, Letters from Fr. Seraphim,
              has just been published. Before that, a vast collection Genesis, Creation
              and Early Man has appeared, devoted mostly to the evolution vs. creation
              controversy. His most widely known work, Orthodoxy and the Religion of the
              Future, reprinted many times in the US and abroad, should be credited for
              exposing numerous modern-day spiritual deceptions and rescuing countless
              souls from the New Age and Occult sects. The Soul After Death spells out
              the traditional Christian view and explains otherwise mysterious
              "near-death" and "after-death experiences". The Orthodox Word bi-monthly,
              published by Fr. Seraphim since 1965, at times single-handedly, is still
              serving the English-speaking Christians.

              And that's just a small portion of what he has done. His disciples, both
              clergy and laity, are found in Orthodox communities all over the US and, in
              fact, all over the world; his articles, sermons and lectures provide an
              ever-fresh source of knowledge and inspiration. And his gravesite in
              Platina, CA has become a popular place of pilgrimage for those who loved
              him here on earth as well as those who never met him personally.

              From the preface to the Heavenly Realm, a collection of essays by Eugene
              Rose, future Fr. Seraphim:

              "The wonder of a soul of a modern young man who managed somehow to
              penetrate into the realm of the rich Christian tradition, then to saturate
              himself by its divine splendor, and finally to emerge as a living link with
              the Church Fathers -- is indeed awesome! Who would suspect that our prosaic
              America could produce such a visionary?"

              Remembering Fr. Seraphim (Orthodox America, Aug.-Sep. 1982)

              ? In conversation he was the proverbial "man of few words". He had no
              interest in idle chatter, seldom expressed a personal preference for
              anything, and disliked fakery of all kinds, often speaking of the
              "Disneyland mentality" of America which was making it impossible for people
              to seek and find the truth. (Such aversion to Disney, in those years
              ostensibly innocent, seemed strange to many -- but soon the cat will be out
              of the bag, and in 1996 American Christians will begin boycotting Disney ?
              ed.)

              He worried about the fact that most of us were "unconscious": we were so
              abysmally ignorant of the great truths of our Faith? "Be awake, aware,
              informed!..." -- he would plead, -- "Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as
              though it were some private treasure. Share it!"

              ? Fr. Seraphim was an inspiration for thousands of people. He gave some of
              the most inspiring sermons ever uttered in the English language. His
              constant counsel was: "Never excuse yourself. If you must, or think you
              must, give way to a weakness, then be certain to recognize it as a weakness
              and a sin. But see your own faults and condemn not your brother!"

              During the latter portion of his life, Fr. Seraphim continually emphasized
              the need for spiritual attentiveness in preparation for struggles to come.
              He seemed to have an awareness, a foreknowledge of apocalyptic times ahead.
              His message was conveyed in a well-known phrase: "It is later than you
              think!"

              ? The death of Fr. Seraphim produced a spiritual phenomenon untold of in
              our times. Lying in state in a crude wooden coffin in the humble monastery
              church, not only did the body remain soft and life-like in the summer heat,
              but so comforting was his face that one could not bear to cover it, in the
              traditional monastic way. Even children could hardly move away from the
              coffin, since the body brought such internal peace and suggested such love.
              Everyone was aware that, in our times, among us, a holy man had left in his
              body a phenomenon that challenges science and our hearts.

              From God's Revelation to the Human Heart by Fr. Seraphim
              (St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood, 1987)

              ?Is there a special organ for receiving revelation from God? Yes, in a
              certain sense there is such an organ, though usually we close it and do not
              let it open up: God's revelation is given to something called a loving
              heart. We know from the Scriptures that God is love; Christianity is the
              religion of love (you may look at the failures, see people who call
              themselves Christians and are not, and say there is no love there; but
              Christianity is indeed the religion of love when it is successful and
              practiced in the right way)? If you ask anyone who knew Archbishop John
              what it was that drew people to him -- and still draws people who never
              knew him -- the answer is always the same: he was overflowing with love; he
              sacrificed himself for his fellow men out of absolutely unselfish love for
              God and for them. This is why things were revealed to him which could not
              get through to other people and which he never could have known by natural
              means. He himself taught that, for all "mysticism" of our Orthodox Church
              that is found in the Lives of the Saints and the writings of the Holy
              Fathers, the Orthodox faithful always has both feet firmly on the ground,
              facing whatever situation is right in front of him. It is in accepting
              given situations, which requires a loving heart, that man encounters God.
              This loving heart is why anyone comes to a knowledge of the truth?

              The opposite of the loving heart that receives revelation from God is cold
              calculation, getting what you can out of people; in religious life, this
              produces fakery and charlatanism of all descriptions. If you look at the
              religious world today, you see that a great deal of this is going on: so
              much fakery, posing, calculation, so much taking advantage of the winds of
              fashion?

              From the Letters from Father Seraphim (Nikodemos, Richfield Springs, NY,
              2001)

              ? Good heavens! What is happening to people? How easily one gets dragged
              off the path of serving God into all kinds of factions and jealousies and
              attempts at revenge.

              ? I think about... that older generation that is now almost gone, and I
              want to weep for the young know-it-alls who have missed the point. But the
              understanding comes only through real suffering, and how many can do that?

              ? Christians, surrounded by and already swimming in a sea of
              humanist-worldly philosophy and practice, must do everything possible to
              create their own islands, in that sea, of other-worldly, God-oriented
              thought and practice.

              ? Try to remember that all real Christian work is local -- right here and
              now, between myself and God and my neighbor.

              ? Do you have a notebook for taking down quotes from Holy Fathers in your
              reading? Do you always have a book of Holy Fathers that you are reading and
              can turn to in a moment of gloom? Start now -- this is essential!

              ? Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at
              all.