Re: Why the MP Apologetics?

  • maureengirard
    Message 1 of 73 , Oct 3, 2002
      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>
      wrote:

      I didn't mention any name in my message but I do when I pray.
      Maureen
      > Dear Maureen,
      >
      > Father Alexander probably did not mention this case out of
      Christian
      > love.
      >
      > Some times, God allows a man to fall very low in the eyes of the
      > world, and so get rid of any human glory, as a way to his
      salvation.
      > If you and I are received some day in the Kingdom of Heaven, maybe
      > that monk will be waiting at the entrance to welcome us.
      >
      > In the meantime, let us pray for him. Maybe God has already
      forgiven
      > him.
      >
      > In God,
      >
      > Vladimir Kozyreff
      >
      > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "maureengirard" <maureengirard@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff"
      > <lebedeff@w...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > Fr. Alexander,
      > > You didn't mention anything about the married monk with kids who
      > > sells hair shirts.
      > >
      > > In truth, the ROCiE crew is quite a collection. It's like
      watching
      > > an out of control soap opera.
      > > Maureen

      > > thus
      > > >
      > > > The recent posts by Vladimir Kozyreff and Irina Pahlen continue
      > > portray
      > > > the idea that the motivations of the renegade clergy in France
      > and
      > > Belgium
      > > > are completely pure--that they are simply defenders of the
      truth
      > > and the
      > > > historical positions of the ROCOR who are being unjustly
      > persecuted
      > > for
      > > > their standing in the faith.
      > > >
      > > > This is a simplistic and utterly naive view.
      > > >
      > > > In reality, the whole ROCiE split was manufactured by a motley
      > > collection
      > > > of "avantiuristy" pursuing their own personal agendas--and not
      by
      > > > principled defenders of the truth.
      > > >
      > > > Former Bishop Varnava single-handedly virtually destroyed the
      > > credibility
      > > > of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia in Russia, by
      > > openly
      > > > endorsing the neo-fascist Pamyat' organization and
      participating
      > in
      > > some of
      > > > its most outrageous "actions," such as the
      shameful "avtoprobeg"
> [...]
      from
      > > holy
      > > > orders, was with great condescension and love by the bishops of
      > the
      > > Church
      > > > Abroad, was restore to the priesthood--only to once again turn
      on
      > > the
      > > > bishops who had forgiven him--and once again run away into
      schism.

      > > > Another key player is a priest who, together with his son, in
      > the
      > > presence
      > > > of nine witnesses, attacked an elderly great-grandmother right
      in
      > > front of
      > > > our Cathedral and beat her. Nine witnesses watched
      this "priest"
      > > knock the
      > > > elderly woman to the ground and beat her with his fists. I was
      > > called to
      > > > the scene and arrived to see the police there talking to a
      > severely
      > > > battered lady, who had to be taken to the hospital. I have
      > > photographs
      > > > taken that day that show the severe bruises and lacerations on
      > her
      > > > arms--the outside of her forearms--clearly what are
      > > called "defensive
      > > > wounds." This renegade priest was also instrumental in robbing
      > our
      > > church
      > > > of all of its documents--articles of incorporation, deeds,
      parish
      > > archives
      > > > and photographs, building plans for the cupola project, bank
      > books
      > > and
      > > > financial statements--and icons, liturgical books, and music,
      > among
      > > > truckloads of other items belonging to the parish that he
      simply
      > > came and
      > > > took. This man's reputation was so unsavory, that every one of
      > his
      > > brothers
      > > > and sisters--all five of them--wrote a petition to Metropolitan
      > > Vitaly
      > > > begging him not to allow this man to be ordained to the
      > priesthood--
      > > > petition that was accompanied by another petition by the man's
      > > spiritual
      > > > father of many years, also informing the Metropolitan of
      serious
      > > canonical
      > > > impediments to the ordination of this man. Unfortunately,
      > > Metropolitan
      > > > Vitaly ordained him anyway.
      > > >
      > > > Another player is a priest who left the Synod with the
      > > Panteleimonites,
      > > > manipulated his parish meeting to take the parish with him--
      who,
      > > after
      > > > years of writing derogatory statements about Metropolitan
      Vitaly
      > > and the
      > > > Synod of the ROCOR--suddenly leaves HOCNA, remanipulates his
      > Parish
      > > > Council, and takes the parish into ROCiE, becoming one of its
      > > ideologues.
      > > >
      > > > Another key player, Father German Ivanov-13, has openly
      disagreed
      > > with the
      > > > Mansonville ROCiE positions regarding the question of grace
      among
      > > New
      > > > Calendarists and the relationship with Metropolitan Cyprian, so
      > it
      > > is clear
      > > > that there is no "unity of standing in the truth" between the
      > > European and
      > > > North-American branches of the tiny ROCiE.
      > > >
      > > > Add to this the confusion between the Mansonville ROCie and the
      > > ROCiE
      > > > bishops in Russia--Lazarus and Benjamin--and you have quite
      > > a "kettle of fish."
      > > >
      > > > No wonder they cannot even agree on a date for a Sobor, which
      > they
      > > probably
      > > > will not be able to have, since the Russian bishops will insist
      > on
      > > having
      > > > their newly-consecrated bishops participating, while the other
      > > parts of the
      > > > ROCiE will be totally opposed to this.
      > > >
      > > > Meanwhile, "Bishop" Vladimir has been evicted from Canada and
      is
      > > banned
      > > > from reentering it, so he could not even participate in such a
      > > Sobor.
      > > >
      > > > Another point.
      > > >
      > > > The ROCiEs in Europe have made hay about how cruel Bishop
      Ambrose
      > > is in
      > > > attempting to evict the renegade Fr. Nicholas Semenoff from his
      > > home
      > > > "together with his children."
      > > >
      > > > They fail to mention that Fr. Nicholas Semenoff's children are
      > all
      > > grown.
      > > >
      > > > Meanwhile, the ROCiEs completely heartlessly evicted the loyal
      > > ROCOR priest
      > > > in Parish from his home--a priest who **does** have small
      > children.
      > > >
      > > > This is the kind of hypocricy that is being perpetrated by
      these
      > > > "principled defenders of the truth."
      > > >
      > > > The whole thing is simply a power grab.
      > > >
      > > > The notorious loose cannon, former Bishop Varnava, had seen
      that
      > > his
      > > > "number was up"--that he had no chance of becoming the new
      Ruling
      > > Bishop of
      > > > Western Europe, and that he was probably going to be
      sanctioned
      > by
      > > the
      > > > other bishops for his outrageous behavior.
      > > >
      > > > So he, together with a couple of equally nefarious accomplices,
      > > staged this
      > > > operation, whisking the elderly Metropolitan Vitaly away from
      the
      > > Synod in
      > > > New York, and, taking advantage of his frailty and senility,
      > > creating the
      > > > uncanonical structure known as ROCiE.
      > > >
      > > > This is not a matter of ecclesiology or ideology or "standing
      for
      > > the truth."
      > > >
      > > > All of that is a smoke-screen, meant to mislead the naive
      > faithful.
      > > >
      > > > These conniving individuals tried to manipulate Metropolitan
      > Vitaly
      > > while
      > > > he was still First Hierarch, getting him to sign
      > > several "Statements"
      > > > critical of the Sobor Resolutions of 2000 that he had himself
      > > signed and
      > > > getting him to remove sanctions that had been placed against
      them
      > > by the Synod.
      > > >
      > > > They knew that they could not continue doing this, so they
      jumped
      > > ship and
      > > > set up their own little clacque, where they could do what they
      > > wished, with
      > > > no one responsible to answer to.
      > > >
      > > > That's all it is.
      > > >
      > > > "Defenders of the true faith," my foot!
      > > >

      > > > With love in Christ,
      > > >
      > > > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Joshua Fraese
      Message 73 of 73 , Oct 11, 2002
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Hristofor <hristofor@m...> wrote:
        > I have said it before, but I will say it again: I have no
        theological
        > background, so whatever I say or _beleive_ may be correct or
        incorrect.
        > However, what you have just said sounds patently absurd.
        >
        > First of all, I think what you are saying applies to all baptisms
        in the
        > Orthodox Church and not just those preformed by heretics and those
        without
        > Grace: the Sacrament of Baptism becomes "finalised or complete"
        (valid in
        > your words) by confessing the True Faith (done by the godparent if
        the
        > person is a baby), Chrismation and Communing. Can you please
        provide a
        > quote from the Holy Fathers where they speak of receiving a baptism
        by
        > heretics, which then becomes a valid Sacrament "when the person
        professes
        > the true faith and becomes part of the true Church."?

        Dear Hristofor,

        Metropolitan Anthony wrote an outstanding essay on the subject of the
        reception of converts. I've taken the liberty of quoting from it
        below:

        "Every mystery has two sides - the visible and the invisible. The
        second is administered only within the true Church by faith and
        sincere prayer, according to the words of the Apostle Peter: "The
        like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the
        putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good
        conscience toward God) but the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1
        Pet. 3:21). And the same thought is found also in the teaching of St.
        John Damascene. For those who are baptized without faith "the water
        remains water" only. Heretics and schismatics, having the visible
        side of baptism, chrismation and holy orders, are entirely devoid of
        those gifts of grace which are bound up with these mysteries for
        believers within the true Church. Therefore, certain of them, for the
        alleviation of the rupture in their spiritual life and for "the
        edification of many," are permitted to enter the Church without
        the visible side of the mysteries or holy orders (that is, by the
        second or third rite), but through the operation of another
        sacramental act in which they receive the grace of baptism,
        chrismation and holy orders. (For example, for Roman Catholics,
        Nestorians and Donatists.)"

        You can read this essay in its entirety at:
        http://www.stvladimirs.ca/articles/economia-reception-converts.html

        I hope this selection helps clear things up a bit - if not, read the
        whole essay - Metropolitan Anthony really goes into the patristic
        theology of the issue and explains the Orthodox thinking behind the
        usage of economia.

        - Joshua Fraese