Re: Why the MP Apologetics?

  • maureengirard
    Message 1 of 73 , Oct 2, 2002
      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@w...>
      Fr. Alexander,
      You didn't mention anything about the married monk with kids who
      sells hair shirts.

      In truth, the ROCiE crew is quite a collection. It's like watching
      an out of control soap opera.
      > >Those who did write more recent things "in the same vein" were
      > >defrocked, excommunicated and called schismatic. But they did
      > >write "in the same vein" (the traditional one). Their honour is
      > >safe and Christ will not be ashamed of them before his heavenly
      > >father.
      > The recent posts by Vladimir Kozyreff and Irina Pahlen continue to
      > the idea that the motivations of the renegade clergy in France and
      > are completely pure--that they are simply defenders of the truth
      and the
      > historical positions of the ROCOR who are being unjustly persecuted
      > their standing in the faith.
      > This is a simplistic and utterly naive view.
      > In reality, the whole ROCiE split was manufactured by a motley
      > of "avantiuristy" pursuing their own personal agendas--and not by
      > principled defenders of the truth.
      > Former Bishop Varnava single-handedly virtually destroyed the
      > of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia in Russia, by
      > endorsing the neo-fascist Pamyat' organization and participating in
      some of
      > its most outrageous "actions," such as the shameful "avtoprobeg"
      > Moscow, where brown-shirted and jack-booted goons with Nazi-like
      > rode around Moscow in open trucks, waving fascist banners.
      > Former Bishop Varnava also blessed one of his priests to
      participate in the
      > Pamyat' "raid" at the editorial offices of "Moskovskij
      Komsomolets," where
      > the jack-booted goons stormed the offices, ripped out the phones
      > terrorized the staff.
      > And, former Bishop Varnava completely embarrassed the Church Abroad
      > signing, on official ROCOR stationery, a letter to the head of the
      > uncanonical "Autonomous Ukranian Church" in which he offered to
      create an
      > alliance between the Church Abroad and this schismatic body.
      > Add to this that Bishop Varnava confused the entire situation of
      > parishes in Russia, by single-handedly rescinding suspensions and
      > depositions imposed by other bishops of the Church Abroad there,
      > allying himself with disreputable and disgraced clerics.
      > This is your "Pillar of Truth," Vladimir?
      > And look at his associates in the Mansonville schism!
      > A renegade monk from Jordanville, who ran away spouting lies and
      > against the monastery he had been tonsured in--now he is a "bishop."
      > A former Moscow Patriarchate clergyman who so messed up matters in
      the Holy
      > Land while he was Head of the Ecclesisatical Mission there that we
      > still reeling from his grievous mistakes in judgement.
      > A renegade priest who had run away from the Church Abroad into the
      > schism, writing all kinds of lies and distortions--and who, several
      > later, claimed to repent, and, although he had been deposed from
      > orders, was with great condescension and love by the bishops of the
      > Abroad, was restore to the priesthood--only to once again turn on
      > bishops who had forgiven him--and once again run away into schism.
      > Another key player is a priest who, together with his son, in the
      > of nine witnesses, attacked an elderly great-grandmother right in
      front of
      > our Cathedral and beat her. Nine witnesses watched this "priest"
      knock the
      > elderly woman to the ground and beat her with his fists. I was
      called to
      > the scene and arrived to see the police there talking to a severely
      > battered lady, who had to be taken to the hospital. I have
      > taken that day that show the severe bruises and lacerations on her
      > arms--the outside of her forearms--clearly what are
      called "defensive
      > wounds." This renegade priest was also instrumental in robbing our
      > of all of its documents--articles of incorporation, deeds, parish
      > and photographs, building plans for the cupola project, bank books
      > financial statements--and icons, liturgical books, and music, among
      > truckloads of other items belonging to the parish that he simply
      came and
      > took. This man's reputation was so unsavory, that every one of his
      > and sisters--all five of them--wrote a petition to Metropolitan
      > begging him not to allow this man to be ordained to the priesthood--
      > petition that was accompanied by another petition by the man's
      > father of many years, also informing the Metropolitan of serious
      > impediments to the ordination of this man. Unfortunately,
      > Vitaly ordained him anyway.
      > Another player is a priest who left the Synod with the
      > manipulated his parish meeting to take the parish with him--who,
      > years of writing derogatory statements about Metropolitan Vitaly
      and the
      > Synod of the ROCOR--suddenly leaves HOCNA, remanipulates his Parish
      > Council, and takes the parish into ROCiE, becoming one of its
      > Another key player, Father German Ivanov-13, has openly disagreed
      with the
      > Mansonville ROCiE positions regarding the question of grace among
      > Calendarists and the relationship with Metropolitan Cyprian, so it
      is clear
      > that there is no "unity of standing in the truth" between the
      European and
      > North-American branches of the tiny ROCiE.
      > Add to this the confusion between the Mansonville ROCie and the
      > bishops in Russia--Lazarus and Benjamin--and you have quite
      a "kettle of fish."
      > No wonder they cannot even agree on a date for a Sobor, which they
      > will not be able to have, since the Russian bishops will insist on
      > their newly-consecrated bishops participating, while the other
      parts of the
      > ROCiE will be totally opposed to this.
      > Meanwhile, "Bishop" Vladimir has been evicted from Canada and is
      > from reentering it, so he could not even participate in such a
      > Another point.
      > The ROCiEs in Europe have made hay about how cruel Bishop Ambrose
      is in
      > attempting to evict the renegade Fr. Nicholas Semenoff from his
      > "together with his children."
      > They fail to mention that Fr. Nicholas Semenoff's children are all
      > Meanwhile, the ROCiEs completely heartlessly evicted the loyal
      ROCOR priest
      > in Parish from his home--a priest who **does** have small children.
      > This is the kind of hypocricy that is being perpetrated by these
      > "principled defenders of the truth."
      > The whole thing is simply a power grab.
      > The notorious loose cannon, former Bishop Varnava, had seen that
      > "number was up"--that he had no chance of becoming the new Ruling
      Bishop of
      > Western Europe, and that he was probably going to be sanctioned by
      > other bishops for his outrageous behavior.
      > So he, together with a couple of equally nefarious accomplices,
      staged this
      > operation, whisking the elderly Metropolitan Vitaly away from the
      Synod in
      > New York, and, taking advantage of his frailty and senility,
      creating the
      > uncanonical structure known as ROCiE.
      > This is not a matter of ecclesiology or ideology or "standing for
      the truth."
      > All of that is a smoke-screen, meant to mislead the naive faithful.
      > These conniving individuals tried to manipulate Metropolitan Vitaly
      > he was still First Hierarch, getting him to sign
      several "Statements"
      > critical of the Sobor Resolutions of 2000 that he had himself
      signed and
      > getting him to remove sanctions that had been placed against them
      by the Synod.
      > They knew that they could not continue doing this, so they jumped
      ship and
      > set up their own little clacque, where they could do what they
      wished, with
      > no one responsible to answer to.
      > That's all it is.
      > "Defenders of the true faith," my foot!
      > With love in Christ,
      > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Joshua Fraese
      Message 73 of 73 , Oct 11, 2002
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Hristofor <hristofor@m...> wrote:
        > I have said it before, but I will say it again: I have no
        > background, so whatever I say or _beleive_ may be correct or
        > However, what you have just said sounds patently absurd.
        > First of all, I think what you are saying applies to all baptisms
        in the
        > Orthodox Church and not just those preformed by heretics and those
        > Grace: the Sacrament of Baptism becomes "finalised or complete"
        (valid in
        > your words) by confessing the True Faith (done by the godparent if
        > person is a baby), Chrismation and Communing. Can you please
        provide a
        > quote from the Holy Fathers where they speak of receiving a baptism
        > heretics, which then becomes a valid Sacrament "when the person
        > the true faith and becomes part of the true Church."?

        Dear Hristofor,

        Metropolitan Anthony wrote an outstanding essay on the subject of the
        reception of converts. I've taken the liberty of quoting from it

        "Every mystery has two sides - the visible and the invisible. The
        second is administered only within the true Church by faith and
        sincere prayer, according to the words of the Apostle Peter: "The
        like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the
        putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good
        conscience toward God) but the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1
        Pet. 3:21). And the same thought is found also in the teaching of St.
        John Damascene. For those who are baptized without faith "the water
        remains water" only. Heretics and schismatics, having the visible
        side of baptism, chrismation and holy orders, are entirely devoid of
        those gifts of grace which are bound up with these mysteries for
        believers within the true Church. Therefore, certain of them, for the
        alleviation of the rupture in their spiritual life and for "the
        edification of many," are permitted to enter the Church without
        the visible side of the mysteries or holy orders (that is, by the
        second or third rite), but through the operation of another
        sacramental act in which they receive the grace of baptism,
        chrismation and holy orders. (For example, for Roman Catholics,
        Nestorians and Donatists.)"

        You can read this essay in its entirety at:

        I hope this selection helps clear things up a bit - if not, read the
        whole essay - Metropolitan Anthony really goes into the patristic
        theology of the issue and explains the Orthodox thinking behind the
        usage of economia.

        - Joshua Fraese