[orthodox-synod] Y2K update: My opinion on where we stand

  • Deacon John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 1999
      Since I sent out a number of posts on the subject of
      Y2K, I thought I should send out this update, to let
      the same folks know where I think we stand at present.

      In brief, I think my original advice about prudent
      preparation still holds. I think storing food, water
      and fuel for a couple of weeks (just to be on the safe
      side) is a good idea... and I think it would be a good
      idea in any case. A few months, we had a storm that
      knocked out our power, and my Y2K lamps came quite in
      handy. A good huricane, and now I wont be fighting
      the crowds at the grocery store to stock up on things.

      However, I do want to say that the doom-sayers (and by
      this, I mean the folks who were predicting a total
      societal collapse) have so far proven to be all wet.

      We were told to expect huge problems in January, in
      April, and by now -- if the Gary North types were
      right -- we should be seeing riots in the streets, and
      food shortages.

      None of this has happened, and I frankly don't expect
      to see anything even close on 1-1-2000.

      In my own secular job I can see that they have had
      some y2k problems, but human resourcefullness being
      what it is, they have dealt with them, developed work
      arrounds, and fixed the problems.

      The last straw for me giving even the slightest
      credence to the doom-sayers was watching NATO bomb
      Yugoslavia arround the clocks, and despite blowing up
      their power statations, and dropping graphite bombs,
      this tiny country was able to keep getting the power
      back on. It is inconcievable that Yugoslavia could do
      this, but that the US would lie prostrate for months
      or years with no power (as North suggested).

      Now, if anyone wishes to argue that we deserve such
      problems, you wont get an argument out of me... but
      the question is whether we should reasonable expect
      such problems, and I think the answer is clearly "No".

      However, I wouldn't be suprised to see some local
      power failures... and even some last minute public
      panic. But if you prepare a little ahead of time, I
      think you will have nothing to fear.

      But that's just my opinion....

      ===