Halloween

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
      Can anyone direct me to Orthodox literature (preferably electronic) in
      Russian against Halloween?

      Thanks.

      Hristofor
    • Theodora Wright
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
        snip

        > Can anyone direct me to Orthodox literature (preferably electronic) in
        > Russian against Halloween?

        snip

        Nyet

        source: not literature..two legged.

        Sorry just couldn't let it go by...:-)))))))))))))))))
        It's that time again

        Theodora in the mountains
      • Olhovsky, Sergey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
          http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/russian/halloween_r.htm

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
            Published by The Keston Institute, September 21, 2000

            The Patriarch and the KGB

            By Felix Corley
            Keston News Service

            MOSCOW, September 21, 2000 (KNS) -- In response to the denial by a
            senior official of the Moscow Patriarchate that Patriarch
            ALEKSI II had collaborated with the KGB during the Soviet era, Keston
            News Service has reviewed all the available documentary evidence from
            the various archives of the KGB and concluded that long-standing
            allegations that the Patriarch and other senior bishops of the Russian
            Orthodox Church collaborated with the KGB are based on fact.

            The Moscow Patriarchate's official spokesman Father VSEVOLOD CHAPLIN
            issued the denial in an interview with the Russian news
            agency Interfax on 20 September while responding to an article that
            appeared earlier that day in the London daily paper The Times (which
            was mainly about corruption within today's Orthodox Church, not about
            the Patriarch's past ties to the KGB).

            Allegations Aleksi had collaborated with the KGB were 'absolutely
            unsubstantiated', Father Vsevolod claimed. 'There is no data indicating

            that Patriarch Aleksi II was an associate of the special services, and
            no classified documents bear his signature.' He added: 'I do
            not think that direct dialogue between the current patriarch and the
            KGB took place.' He conceded only that 'all bishops' had to
            communicate with the Council for Religious Affairs, which 'forwarded
            all its materials to the KGB.'

            Interfax declared that Father Vsevolod 'found it difficult
            to respond' about the source of reports about Patriarch Aleksi's KGB
            codename 'Drozdov', but accused Father GLEB YAKUNIN (who left the
            jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate some years ago) as 'one of the
            authors of these libels'. Father Vsevolod believed that those accusing
            the Patriarch of having collaborated with the KGB were those determined
            to weaken the position of Christianity in general and the Russian
            Orthodox Church in particular.

            Despite Father Vsevolod's vigorous denials, KGB material
            that Keston has seen in Tallinn reveals that Aleksi was recruited by
            the Estonian KGB on 28 February 1958, just days after his 29th
            birthday. The report makes clear that the KGB viewed Aleksi, then still
            a priest, as a high-flier. It had already earmarked him as a future
            Bishop of the Russian Orthodox diocese of Tallinn and Estonia. He was
            appointed to this post less than three years later.

            Although referring to him only as 'Drozdov' (it was very unusual in
            internal KGB documents for any person, whether agent or victim, to be
            referred to by name before the late 1980s), it is clear that Aleksi
            Ridiger, born in Tallinn on 23 February 1929, is the subject. No other
            priest of the Estonian diocese matches the information in the document.

            The choice of the codename 'Drozdov' is also a clue: Aleksi
            graduated from Leningrad Theological Academy in 1953 with a thesis on
            the 19th-century Metropolitan of Moscow Filaret Drozdov.

            Other documents from the central KGB archives in Moscow (now
            held by one of the KGB's successors, the FSB) reveal some of the tasks
            Aleksi was assigned as an agent. These documents - which were produced
            by the 4th department of the KGB Fifth Directorate (the department that

            controlled religious affairs) - were seen by a number of researchers
            after the archives were briefly opened in the wake of the failed
            August 1991 coup, but access was then closed again after the Russian
            Orthodox leadership protested about the extent of the revelations.
            Unfortunately, researchers did not reveal the full contents of each
            report, confining themselves to brief and tantalising extracts from the
            titles and text of the reports.

            A 1983 report from the central KGB archives, for example,
            reveals that when the monks of the Pochayev monastery in western
            Ukraine were complaining about harsh treatment (including the beating
            to death of a monk) by the KGB and the local abbot, YAKOV PANCHUK, in
            1981-2, Aleksi was one of the two Russian Orthodox leaders sent down
            there to conduct 'educational work' among the monks.

            In February 1988, exactly thirty years after his recruitment as an
            agent, Aleksi was given an award by the KGB in recognition
            of his long service for them.

            All senior clerical appointments in the Soviet era were made
            by the KGB and mediated through the government's Council for Religious
            Affairs (the public face of the 4th department of the KGB Fifth
            Directorate) - and many junior appointments besides. Aleksi's
            collaboration was nothing exceptional - almost all senior leaders of
            all officially-recognised religious faiths - including the Catholics,
            Baptists, Adventists, Muslims and Buddhists - were recruited KGB
            agents. Indeed, the annual report that describes Aleksi's recruitment
            also covers numerous other agents, some of them in the Estonian
            Lutheran Church.

            Although in public the KGB never acknowledged its role in
            controlling religious affairs in the Soviet Union, in private it made
            no secret of it. The KGB leadership approved a briefing paper No. 48s
            'On the use by the organs of the KGB of the possibilities of the
            Russian Orthodox Church in counter- espionage measures within the
            country and abroad' on 28 July 1970. In 1982 the 4th department of the
            KGB Fifth Directorate boasted that through 'leading agents, the ROC,
            Georgian and Armenian Churches hold firmly to positions of loyalty' to
            the Soviet state.

            The documents Keston has seen are undoubtedly genuine and can relate
            only to Aleksi, matching as they do so closely his identity and his
            known travels. Keston has not seen the document he would have signed on

            being recruited nor the archive record card drawn up for him
            (such as is available for Georgian Orthodox Patriarch ILYA, KGB
            codename "Iverieli"). All such material was removed by the USSR KGB
            from the Estonian KGB archives in the late 1980s and if it still exists
            is undoubtedly in the archives of the Russian FSB.

            Given the genuineness of the documents, the only doubt
            remains as to how far Aleksi was aware that the officers he was working
            with represented the KGB. However, it would be naive to believe that
            Aleksi could have attained such high office in a religious organisation

            tolerated by the Soviet state without being aware of the true
            affiliation of those he had to report to.

            In view of the compelling evidence that Aleksi was recruited
            as a KGB agent, it remains a mystery why such a senior figure in the
            Moscow Patriarchate would deny it rather than initiate a serious
            debate as to whether such collaboration had been inevitable and whether

            or not it had caused the Russian Orthodox Church or others any harm.

            Forwarded by Father Deacon Anthony Bridges
            Our Lady, Joy of All Who Sorrow (ROCOR)
            Cumming, GA

            =====
            Father Deacon Anthony Bridges
            Joy of All Who Sorrow Orthodox Church (ROCOR)
            Cumming, Georgia

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Evelyn Hunter
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
              http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Orthodox_Life/halloween.htm

            • catherine elaine sullivan
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
                I just got a good item from a priest- unfortunately, I don't know how to scan
                and send it that way, but if you want to send me your address privately, I can
                send you a copy "snail mail."

                www.flicka68@...

                =====
                Catherine