Re: Book Online: Way of the Ascetics

  • maureengirard
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2002
      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Joshua Fraese" <jfraese@i...> wrote:..>>
      thank you very much. this book is very hard to find.
      Maureen
      > Originally published in Finland in 1904, and first published in
      > English in 1960, Tito Colliander's "Way of the Ascetics" is now
      > available in its entirety at the St. Vladimir's Cathedral web site.
      >
      > http://www.stvladimirs.ca/articles/way-of-the-ascetics.html
      >
      > In our era of new-age spirituality and homemade religion, the
      simple
      > patristic style of this work is consoling. In our age of spiritual
      > naiveté, the simple and understandable instructions offered herein
      > are enlightening and inspiring. We hope that by offering this
      > excellent text on the internet, all of us spiritual neophytes in
      need
      > of simple and easy to follow instructions may once again set out on
      > the time-tested way that leads to the Kingdom of Heaven.
      >
      > - Joshua Fraese
      >
      > ----------
      > St. Vladimir's Russian Orthodox Cathedral
      > http://www.stvladimirs.ca/
      >
      > Dormition Orthodox Books and Items
      > http://www.orthodoxbooksanditems.com
    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2002
        Well, not exactly hard to find. SVS Press has had a paperback edition
        available for several years, and we have offered the Harper & Row hardbound
        edition for a number of years at the same price. Unfortunately, I just
        shipped the last copy.

        We have negotiations in process with SVS for purchase of rights (they bought
        the copyright from the author) for a new hardbound edition, but it will
        certainly be at least sometime next year before it can be ready.
      • frmichaelc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2002
          In a message dated 9/27/2002 12:34:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          maureengirard@... writes:

          > thank you very much. this book is very hard to find.
          > Maureen

          Hi, Matushka Maureen!

          Actually, it's still in print from St. Vladimir's Seminary Press. Harper &
          Row used to have a very a very nice little hardcover version, though, and
          when it was remaindered Fr. Gregory Williams bought up lots of copies. He
          was selling them at a very good price (I think about a dollar more than the
          cheap paperback from SVS) and may have some left.

          Now -- does anyone know if this book is available in this country in Russian?

          priest Michael Carney

        • maureengirard
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2002
            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., frmichaelc@a... wrote:
            Hi Fr. Michael,
            You are a blast from the past. It must be over 10 since we've seen
            you.
            Thanks for the info. I do have the book. It's a bit dog earned and
            worn but it's still in one piece. I think I bought it at a book fair.
            Maureen