From the Gerondikon - Abba Pambo to His Disciple

  • StephenATL
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8 1:06 AM
      FROM THE GERONDIKON* - ABBA PAMBO TO HIS DISCIPLE

      And I'll tell you this, my child, that the days will come when the
      Christians will add to and will take away from, and will alter the
      books of the Holy Divine Prophets, and of the Holy Fathers. They'll tone
      down the Holy Scriptures and will compose troparia, hymns, and writings
      technologically. Their nous will be spilled out among them, and will
      become alienated from its Heavenly Prototype. For this reason the Holy
      Fathers had previously encouraged the monks of the desert to write down
      the lives of the Fathers not onto parchment, but onto paper, because the
      coming generation will change them to suit their own personal tastes.
      So you see, the evil that comes will be horrible. Then the disciple
      said: So then, Geronda**, the traditions are going to be changed and
      the practices of the Christians? Maybe there won't exist enough priests
      in the Church when these unfortunate times come? And the Holy Father
      continued: In these times the love for God in most souls will grow cold
      and a great sadness will fall onto the world. One nation shall face-off
      against another. Peoples will move away from their own places. Rulers
      will be confused. The clergy will be thrown into anarchy, and the
      monks will be inclined more to negligence. The church leaders will
      consider useless anything concerned with salvation, as much for their
      own souls as for the souls of their flocks, and they will despise any
      such concern. All will show eagerness and energy for every matter
      regarding their dining table and their appetites. They'll be lazy in
      their prayers and casual in their criticisms. As for the lives and
      teachings of the Holy Fathers, they'll not have any interest to imitate
      them, nor even to hear them. But rather they will complain and say that
      "if we had lived in those times, then we'd have behaved like that." And
      the Bishops shall give way to the powerful of the world, giving answers
      on different matters only after taking gifts from everywhere and
      consulting the rights will not be defended; they'll afflict widows and
      harass orphans. Debauchery will permeate these people. Most won't
      believe in God; they'll hate each other and devour one another like
      beasts. The one will steal from the other; they'll be drunk and
      will walk about as blind. The disciple again asked: What can we do in
      such a state? And Elder Pambo answered: My child, in these times
      whoever will save his soul and prompt others to be saved will be called
      great in the Kingdom of Heaven.***

      * Gerondikon (pronounced yeh-ron-dee-KOHN). The Gerondikon is a very
      famous book of sayings of the «Gerondes» (i.e. Elders...... Spiritual
      Fathers), known to every pious (Greek) Orthodox Christian.

      ** Geronda (YEH-ron-dah), means «Elder» (Starets, in Russian).......
      who is a spiritual father/elder of a Christian.

      *** While this is an acient prophecy of Elder Pambo, stated many
      hundreds of years ago...... it is very telling of current times in many
      Orthodox churches, of many bishops, clergy, monastic and lay
      people....... It should also be taken as a reminder to reform our
      lives, and return to a True, Christian, Orthodox way of life!